William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
WASHINGTON — An internal investigation by the Central Intelligence Agency has found that its officers improperly penetrated a computer network used by the Senate Intelligence Committee in preparing its report on the C.I.A.'s detention and interrogation program.

In a statement issued Thursday morning, a C.I.A. spokesman said that agency’s inspector general had concluded that C.I.A. officers had acted inappropriately by gaining access to the computers.

The statement said that John O. Brennan, the C.I.A. director, had apologized to the two senior members of the Senate Intelligence Committee and that he would set up an internal accountability board to review the matter. The board will be led by former Senator Evan Bayh, Democrat of Indiana.

The statement gave almost no specifics about the findings of the report, written by David Buckley, the agency’s inspector general.
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/01/w...lumn-region®ion=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=0

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
White House Knew CIA Snooped On Senate, Report Says

WASHINGTON -- Central Intelligence Agency Director John Brennan consulted the White House before directing agency personnel to sift through a walled-off computer drive being used by the Senate Intelligence Committee to construct its investigation of the agency’s torture program, according to a recently released report by the CIA’s Office of the Inspector General.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/01/15/cia-senate-spying_n_6478960.html?1421346327

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'd comment on this, but I like being allowed on airplanes. But, it's no secret that our security apparatus is distrustful of representative government, and disdainful of the people's rights. Nature of the beast and all that.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
My favorite line:

The new information suggesting the White House was aware of -- and did not stop -- the CIA’s computer snooping is unlikely to improve the existing distrust between Senate committee members and the executive branch.

Indeed.

It is also unlikely to improve my existing distrust of pretty much everyone.