Finally Finished Writing my Novel !!

NancyB16

Registered
Reaction score
My name is Nancy from Georgia. I have started books ideas before, but never finished, but I really stuck to this one and dedicated myself to it until I finished. Aside from having someone going over my grammar I am almost ready to figure out this publishing thing that I have no idea how to do. I still have a lot of learning to do.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, Nancy! Congrats on finishing the book! I've learned tons about publishing here. It's a great place to learn the business and have fun while doing so.

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats on finishing a draft! Now the hard part starts. :D

You'll find a lot of advice on these boards, but much will depend on what you plan to do with your novel. Get an agent and go for publication with a large press? Send it to presses that accept unagented submissions yourself? Self publish?

It's not something you have to decide right away--in fact, you'll find a lot of discussion about the pros and cons of the various avenues here. I'd suggest you start reading up on publication while you're editing your manuscript, so that once it's whipped into shape you have some idea of what to do next.

Best of luck!

Peter Kenson

Registered
Reaction score
Absolutely fantastic. Finishing your first book is such a big step.

Congratulations and welcome to the forum.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hello.gif

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!

JRTroughton

Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations on finishing a novel. No easy feat.

NancyB16

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you all for the advice. When I was typing my last couple of paragraphs, I realized how bad I was crying because I actually did it! Now I actually miss my characters and where I was taking them each day. I had a basic idea, but didn't know they whole story until I sat down and started writing. I surprised myself some days of the direction it went sometimes. (In a good way).

L. Y.

Thread surfer and virtual bartender
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to the Water Cooler! :welcome:

And congratulations on finishing your first novel. Take your time and browse around--there's a lot of great information here.

Anadalya

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, I'm sure you will learn a lot from this site Nancy :)

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have started books ideas before, but never finished, but I really stuck to this one and dedicated myself to it until I finished.

:welcome:, Nancy. Yay for clearing the first high hurdle. Many writers set the first draft(s) aside for a time, then go through and self-edit to the best of their abilities (maybe more than once) while finding a beta reader or two for their next-to-final drafts before sending queries to agents or publishers.

As you meet other writers here, they'll have other ideas, but you're already well on your way. :D

Side224

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome and congrats! Hope to see the book in the shops. x

Anna H

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats on finishing. This writing business is a mountain range and finishing is the first summit. Good luck with the rest and keep at it!

tiddlywinks

Chaser of Shineyyyy Plot Bunnies
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Trying to Remember Where I Stashed My Muse
Website
www.elainewitt.com
Welcome and cool beans on finishing your first novel! Time to let those beta readers have at it and ask you questions that make you go, "dang it, didn't think of that" or "well NOW I have to rewrite that whole plotline tangent" or the occasional "nope, no way, no how, he's staying a redhead and that's final!" Just don't go all Perry Mason on them when asking questions. And be prepared to handle the good, the bad, and the ugly. It's a lot of fun to refine once you get past the "d'ohs!"

Just keep at it. High fives for getting it all down on paper!

jmg2010

jmg
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats! What's your book about? 'Cause I think one of the things I'm so going to enjoy is getting to ask that!