Hounding from the Depths of Perdition

SaraP

You can't forget those you've loved
Registered
Reaction score
Only took me a few months. Then again, I pretty much had no choice, being immersed in it as I was. And while it is easier than Portuguese in a lot of ways, there are plenty of traps here and there.

SaraP

Registered
Reaction score
Did you know that it's biologically harder to learn a new language after you pass the teen years? It's why kids learn them so much better, and easier.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
In my defense, I was ten years old at the time, and still struggling with English. :)

(Btw, Brazil is Brasil and Norway is Noruega. Oh, and while Turkey is Turquia, Peru is also Peru.)
Wait. I thought Turkey was Peru.

And Who's on first.

TedTheewen

AW's Most Adorable Sociopath
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tedscreepyvan.blogspot.com
I would love to get a job at a funeral home. I've tried a few times, but those jobs aren't easy to come by. They pay well, usually it's a family doing the hiring, and it's hard to get fired. I know a guy who went to school for mortuary science. After about 2 years of school, he graduated and made 100K a year right from the beginning.

I did, however, used to work in a cemetery. Loved it, but it didn't pay well and was seasonal.

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
No, this job description didn't mention pay. But who cares because, DECAPITATED HEAD TRIMMER! Just to be able to say that's what you *do* would be awesome.

Haggis, I think there was only an opening for one. But I didn't apply, so you have a little less competition if you want to go for it. :D

There didn't appear to be any qualifications. Except perhaps not getting queasy on the job. :Shrug:

I was actually considering applying (because how could I not and also because I'm sort of half seriously looking for the right job to start in the fall). But I did a little looking at the "heads" on their website and while the gory ones (tendons hanging, eyeballs falling out etc.) didn't really bother me, there were some simpler ones that had virtually no gore, just twisted expressions on their faces, that I'm not sure I could handle working with day to day.

You know, the kinds of faces/expressions that are personal to *you*, straight out of your own nightmares. :scared:

I have felt bad if I took the job and then couldn't stick with it later. That's not fair to an employer. *sigh*

I think I'd like to work for a funeral home. But it'd depend on what position. :idea:
I'd see myself in more of a death doula role. Only not for the one dying, but for the family after it's happened. I don't know what they call that role though.

Last edited:

SaraP

Registered
Reaction score
I'd see myself in more of a death doula role. Only not for the one dying, but for the family after it's happened. I don't know what they call that role though.

Can I just say, I LOVE that expression? :heart:

FOTSGreg

Today is your last day.
Registered
Reaction score
A land where FTL travel is possible and horrible t
Website
Www.fire-on-the-suns.com
<staggers into bar, broken steering wheel hanging around neck, clothes smoking and in tatters, the handle of a gear shift clutched tightly in one hand>

Well, that was fun!

Hope whoever rented the truck also paid for the insurance.

Not that I expect anyone actually "rented" it. "Borrowed" in the deepest black of night is more some folks' style.

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Can I just say, I LOVE that expression? :heart:
I thought you might. ;) Have you not heard it before?

:wag:
<staggers into bar, broken steering wheel hanging around neck, clothes smoking and in tatters, the handle of a gear shift clutched tightly in one hand>

Well, that was fun!

Hope whoever rented the truck also paid for the insurance.

Not that I expect anyone actually "rented" it. "Borrowed" in the deepest black of night is more some folks' style.
We rented a truck? WHY? We have Ted's van. :D

ShaunHorton

AW's resident Velociraptor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shaunhorton.blogspot.com
They should try teaching it.

Which I would rather have done to a roomful of monkeys than endure the all-day meeting that was my day today.

I'm fried.

:e2thud:

Funny that. My cousin has applied to go teach English in Russia. He doesn't speak Russian, he has no teaching experience, and he doesn't even speak English all that well. :p Plus he stutters on top of it. I asked him what he's going to do if war breaks out while he's there, he says it's not really that bad over there...

I may have need of a decapitated head trimmer shortly. Assuming he successfully crowdfunds the three grand he needs to get over there.

SaraP

Registered
Reaction score
I had never heard of Death Doula before. It's just such a lovely term, though. :heart:

My cousin has applied to go teach English in Russia.

Why Russia, if I may ask? (If you know, that is.)

Good afternoon, Hounds. Let's be grateful today for cafes with wi-fi where I can plug in my laptop, shall we? *sigh*

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Honestly, were it not for other concerns, I would be overseas.

The money is good, the experience fantastic, and the IRS (and other creditors) can't follow you.

:D