Hounding from the Depths of Perdition

ShaunHorton

AW's resident Velociraptor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shaunhorton.blogspot.com
Also, anyone know of any good water-horror ezines or things? I've decided I'm giving up on the one place I wrote a story to, given that it's now been over 2/3rds of a year and they haven't responded to my last inquiry. It's hard to find a different venue though when you've written towards a specific submission call though.

ShaunHorton

Registered
Reaction score
Website
shaunhorton.blogspot.com
Just realized the publication date for the anthology I was waiting on is next Monday. Guess it's safe to assume I wasn't picked, will check the book anyway IF it comes out just to make sure I didn't get scammed out of my story though.

Now if I can only figure out why the fuck I agreed to get up at 4 am to go and bag peanuts...

ShaunHorton

Registered
Reaction score
Website
shaunhorton.blogspot.com
Well, another week, another submission.

Good grief it's dead in here...

On a sadder note, my local B&N removed their Horror section and stuck all those books in with the generic Fiction and Literature.

Made me sad. And homicidal.

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Still better than the random way in which my local library seems to classify books... even ones by the same author.

Curlz

cutsie-pie
Registered
Reaction score
(/_\)peek-a ( ⚆ _ ⚆ ) boo! (((((((( ゜□゜)ノ
Good grief it's dead in here...
Kinda fitting for the genre though ;)
B&N has been eliminating their horror section, which really sucks. I hope they figure out it's a bad idea and go back to the way it was.
Yeah, noticed that a while ago in the local bookstores here, horror collection is shrinking and being absorbed into the "SF&F" shelving. But let's face it, there haven't been a lot of intriguing horror books lately and I don't think that filling the shelves with mid-range quality and repetitiveness will do any good for the genre.

TedTheewen

AW's Most Adorable Sociopath
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tedscreepyvan.blogspot.com
(/_\)peek-a ( ⚆ _ ⚆ ) boo! (((((((( ゜□゜)ノ

Kinda fitting for the genre though ;)

Yeah, noticed that a while ago in the local bookstores here, horror collection is shrinking and being absorbed into the "SF&F" shelving. But let's face it, there haven't been a lot of intriguing horror books lately and I don't think that filling the shelves with mid-range quality and repetitiveness will do any good for the genre.

I disagree. I think the real problem is people confuse mass-appeal stories like Stephen King with horror. I believe we are currently living in the Golden Age of horror. There is some incredible work being done right now. Stunning work, even. But people don't read it because it's horror. Stephen King is a storyteller and people got confused between the two.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
I disagree. I think the real problem is people confuse mass-appeal stories like Stephen King with horror. I believe we are currently living in the Golden Age of horror. There is some incredible work being done right now. Stunning work, even. But people don't read it because it's horror. Stephen King is a storyteller and people got confused between the two.
I'll go back to my old argument that you who have been here a while
are probably tired of hearing. People don't read horror simply because they don't know what horror is. They think it's cut and slash and stab and special effects and blood and guts. I blame it on movies. Movies for twelve year olds. That's not what horror is at all. But you all know that.

TedTheewen

AW's Most Adorable Sociopath
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tedscreepyvan.blogspot.com
Haggis, you're right. What a lot of folks don't realize is horror is really a variety of things we're uncomfortable with. Things like looking at ourselves with complete honesty, or dealing with past demons.

Horror is often called such because the genre looks very candidly at difficult topics. It doesn't have to be supernatural. Sadly, the best horror is often what one human does to another.

ShaunHorton

Registered
Reaction score
Website
shaunhorton.blogspot.com
Haggis, you're right. What a lot of folks don't realize is horror is really a variety of things we're uncomfortable with. Things like looking at ourselves with complete honesty, or dealing with past demons.

Horror is often called such because the genre looks very candidly at difficult topics. It doesn't have to be supernatural. Sadly, the best horror is often what one human does to another.

I think that's part of the problem too. There's some great Horror coming out these days, as you said, and the best (worst?) Horror isn't supernatural or even necessarily blood and guts, but what people will do to each other.

Sadly, that means we have to compete with the nightly news these days, as there seem to be fewer and fewer filters on what or how they'll report things.

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sealeyandrews.wordpress.com
So, who would you guys classify as some of the great horror writers, in your opinion? Or even just your favorites right now?

*pen poised*
*plans to add to her summer reading list*
Personally, I'm a HUGE Joe Hill fan. Just started his new one yesterday. And Chuck Wendig's Miriam Black series, if that's considered horror. Which, I think it would be.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
So, who would you guys classify as some of the great horror writers, in your opinion? Or even just your favorites right now?

*pen poised*
*plans to add to her summer reading list*

Jack Ketchum for sure, and Joe Lansdale. I'm also real fond of Robert McCammon's earlier stuff.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score

Horror is someone, or something, sneaking up behind you. It's the anticipation of blood and guts that's horrific. We don't need the special effect. If anything, they kill the moment.