Hounding from the Depths of Perdition

ShaunHorton

AW's resident Velociraptor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shaunhorton.blogspot.com
After two years, TWO YEARS!, since I submitted the story, I got a reply from this anthology.

"Oh, sorry, our project got pushed back because of other things, and thanks for submitting, but we're going to pass."

Then...

"Hey! I know we said we were passing, but I really liked your story and I want you to hold onto it for another week in case one of our other authors doesn't respond!"

I let them know the story was still available, even though it had been shopped around more.

"I'm glad it's still available! Give me 24 hours and I'll get back to you! Your story perfectly matches the cover art we got in!"

24 hours, no reply. 48 hours, no reply, sent a little inquiry.

"Hey, I just re-read your story again, and we are going to pass on it after all. Thanks!"

Mother-fucking god-damn teasing pieces of bastard.........

This is how you get included in a horror story...

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sealeyandrews.wordpress.com
Ugh, Shaun. Teasing like that sucks. I went through a similar thing recently with a company who owns two publications. Subbed to one. Got shortlisted. Then rejected (after a looong time). But, they recommended I sub to their other pub because they liked the story, just didn't feel it was a right fit for that specific pub. So, I subbed to their sister pub and got shortlisted. Then after a looooong time got rejected.:Headbang:

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
I got an odd FB friend request this morning. Older guy with a white beard. My initial reaction: Creeper. I check these anyway, to laugh. But this guy isn't a creeper. He's connected to 0ccult Det. 1/4ly, which has shortlisted a short story of mine. So now of course I'm wondering...

(I accepted the friend request)

TedTheewen

AW's Most Adorable Sociopath
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tedscreepyvan.blogspot.com
Don't let it get to that. Seriously. You're awesome.

One of my favorite people right now, a writer named Mercedes Yardley, says her goal is to get 100 rejections a year. That means she's subbing and that way, a rejection doesn't mean nearly as much because it's in a sea of rejections.

You're awesome! Don't let a couple of rejections sting you.

TedTheewen

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Also, these folks are looking novels. Or rather, they will be, starting August 1st.

Here's where I'm at with my novella: They haven't even responded to me. Nothing.

I sent my novella to them on February 21st. They never even acknowledged receiving it.

I sent a query on May 18th. They never acknowledged that, either.

Now it's July and I'm done with this crap. I'm going to rescind my submission to them and they can go pack sand.

TedTheewen

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Interesting call for subs with a video explaining what he wants in detail. This guy has published a couple of my stories.

ETA: Here's more info.

Call for SubmissionsNocturnicorn Books Presents a Cahoots Venture SUPERFREAKS edited by Alex S. Johnson
Submission requirements: the theme of the book is superheroes, but nothing like you've ever seen. We're not interested in the merely twisted or freaky or dark. We want a radical new look at superbeings. What would Friedrich Nietzsche do in this situation? Give us new morals, new ethics, new adventures and dark dreams for the post-factual age.
Poetry of any length. Stories between 3 and 8k. Please use standard manuscript format. You may submit as many as five stories and eight poems, but only one poem and one story will be accepted, if accepted.
Times New Roman 12 Point font, double spaced, contact info in upper left hand corner. Name of story/poem centered with byline.
Taboos: Sexual situations involving minor children and glorified rape.
send all works to [email protected].
Deadline: 10/1/17
reprints will be considered on a case by case basis.
simultaneous submissions will be considered as long as everybody agrees and is kept in the loop.
this is a For the Love/Exposure Only venture.

Send work to [email protected].

Doesn't pay, though, so....whatever.

Last edited:

SaraP

You can't forget those you've loved
Registered
Reaction score
I stared at one of my wips for a while. It stared back so I closed it. (That'll teach it not to be rude.)

So then I opened a few of my latest FFC entries and re-read them, and damn, I can write sometimes. Seems Flash Fiction is where I do some of my best work. I should research how to sell it - I tried to, once, and got overwhelmed. :e2cry:

TedTheewen

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I've had a couple of flash fictions published. I've found that I can do some really good work with that form. Plus, it seems to just fit the horror genre perfectly.

I got the best sort of rejection today. It included feedback from several different readers on the panel who all read the story. Each of them had some incredibly helpful things to say while being very positive. All told, I had about two paragraphs of help, and it was like I had a group of professionals beta read the story rather than reject it. Now, I know exactly what I need to fix, and I'm confident that once I do, I'll have something that should get me a pro pay sale.

I'm exhausted right now. It's been a long week and today is my Friday. I'm just waiting for the melatonin to kick in so I can sleep.

SaraP

You can't forget those you've loved
Registered
Reaction score
Best kind of rejection. :Thumbs:

Wonder what the other Hounds are up to...

Last edited: