• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Publisher] The Novel Fox

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
However, when I received the revised synopsis, it was no longer my book.

You mean he made changes to the synopsis that significantly altered the book in a way you weren't happy with?

That's an odd way to do revisions. I don't want to say no one reputable would do this, but it's not how I'd expect revisions to be handled for my manuscripts. Then again, whoever's behind this company probably doesn't have much experience in how to edit, so...

Anyway, good to hear you dodged a bullet. Hope you find a better publisher or self-publish successfully. :)

ETA : Just checked Amazon for Jacqueline Seewald's October release. Still nothing.

Last edited:

mommaareaux

Registered
Reaction score
Revisions

Yes, originally he said he liked the story, but asked if I would be open to minor changes. I thought that was just part of the editing process, until I received an entirely different story. I am not saying my story is the best, but it is my story, and I do not want to take away from what I created. I did go with another publisher who I feel confident about.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
Yes, originally he said he liked the story, but asked if I would be open to minor changes. I thought that was just part of the editing process, until I received an entirely different story.

Requesting minor changes is part of the editing process. What I've never heard of is a publisher/editor making changes to the synopsis, especially ones that substantially altered the story.

For my revisions, my editor and I discuss improvements in an email, then I make the changes in the manuscript and send the revised manuscript to her, plus a revised synopsis if needed. Not that this is the only way to do it, but it works for me.

I am not saying my story is the best, but it is my story, and I do not want to take away from what I created. I did go with another publisher who I feel confident about.
Good for you. :) Best of luck!

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
The editor doesn't get to change the story. The editor gets to make suggestions, highlight areas that need work. The writer decides on how to change the story in response to the suggestions.

You should reply to the editor saying that the new synopsis does not reflect the changes you agreed.

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
On the other hand, there can be a big gap of perception between editor and edited--an energetic editor's intended-as-helpful changes may be a sensitive writer's "it's not my book anymore." And even heavy editing doesn't make a publisher a scam.

If you can't agree with the editing, though, it's a good sign that this isn't the publisher for you.

- Victoria

RunWrite

Registered
Reaction score
I wandered off for a while but I'm back and want to thank Cathy C for her suggestions, which I will take in general. I've read enough to see this guy isn't worth the risk. But the experience of submitting got me out of my funk and I'm sending out more query letters for my manuscript. Thanks everyone who weighed in.

WendyN

8-armed cyborg tree
Registered
Reaction score
Submitted a short story and received a confirmation email stating they'd respond in about 4 weeks. 4 weeks pass and now they changed their website to say that they'd respond in 6-8 weeks if interested (as in, no response = no).

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Got my short story rejection overnight - about 5 weeks

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
No activity after '16.