• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Publisher] The Novel Fox

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I saw this publisher promoted on Twitter, so I thought I'd start a thread (I searched two ways for this, since "Fox" doesn't work on the normal AW search).

http://www.thenovelfox.com/#chapter1

New publisher, started in March 2014. No books even "coming soon" at this time. Digital-first, with possible print books in the future.

This was interesting:
For novels, The Novel Fox pays advances starting at $1,000, with 10% of the advance payable upon execution of the publishing contract. Advances for shorter fiction are determined on a case by case basis. Generally, royalties are 30% of The Novel Fox’s gross receipts for digital book sales and 20% of gross receipts for physical book sales. The Novel Fox requires exclusive universal and derivative rights for the life of the copyright with every publishing contract, subject to certain reversion rights.
The advance for a brand-new, digital-first publisher was impressive, but someone more experienced than me will have to comment on the rest.

I couldn't find any information about the editors.

Obviously, no matter what, it's probably best to wait and see, as with any brand-new publisher

Last edited:

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
I'd wait and see a bit longer. You (as in general) don't even know what quality of cover art they have. I get nervous when they nothing to show yet. There's nothing on there that says coming soon either, unless I missed it.

PVish

Cat hair collector
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peevishpen.blogspot.com
On the Reader page, under the title "Publications by the Novel Fox coming soon...." are three blank spaces. Under each one is written this:
BOOK TITLE
By Author

If "The Novel Fox is committed to consistently publishing enjoyable, well written and well packaged books" and the books are "coming soon," shouldn't they have titles? And shouldn't the authors have names?

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
On the Reader page, under the title "Publications by the Novel Fox coming soon...." are three blank spaces. Under each one is written this:

If "The Novel Fox is committed to consistently publishing enjoyable, well written and well packaged books" and the books are "coming soon," shouldn't they have titles? And shouldn't the authors have names?

I think they just don't have any yet. Their website went live about 2 weeks ago so they probably haven't even gotten many submissions yet. Since I don't see any link to a previous publisher that an editor for NF has moved from, I wouldn't expect to see any books actually coming soon at this early stage. Sometimes new publishers come in with their friends' or their own books, but not here, which says nothing about them except they're new. Thus the suggestion to wait and see for this publisher.

Amanda Ritter sounds familiar, but a small Google search doesn't show me why, so maybe there's another Ritter I'm confusing her with.

PVish

Cat hair collector
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peevishpen.blogspot.com
I think they just don't have any yet. Their website went live about 2 weeks ago so they probably haven't even gotten many submissions yet.

So why put up the page with placeholders? Why not wait until they have something to actually announce? According to a blog entry, their company began in March:
IT'S OFFICIAL

March 17, 2014

We are The Novel Fox, LLC!

Last edited:

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
My publisher, the Pencil didn't have any books posted up yet before I signed with them. They had a site and the launch, but it took them about a year to actually post they books on their site. But in all fairness, they have a parent company The Poisoned Pen Press which has been around for years and years, so I had an idea of what type of cover art that they would have.

If they had more info or an "about us" page, that would be better. They said something about "post marketing" too which through me off, shouldn't it be "pre and post?" You'd think they'd want to hype up the coming out books if and when they have them.

Sixpence

Registered
Reaction score
Website
orlawritesthings.com
Amanda Ritter sounds familiar, but a small Google search doesn't show me why, so maybe there's another Ritter I'm confusing her with.

A character name in the Divergent books, maybe? There's some plot around that name in Insurgent, iirc. Probably a coincidence but might explain that feeling of familiarity.

Saanen

Registered
Reaction score
Amanda Rutter was editor for the former Strange Chemistry imprint of Angry Robot Books, before the imprint was closed down. She's not connected with this publisher, though.

I wish there was more information on their website. If they're really planning to offer $1k advances and pay on gross, they would be one to watch--if their covers/editing are good and if they have distribution in place.

Oh, it looks like they've cleaned up their website just a tad--I didn't see any placeholders under the reader page. Their site does look nice. If they happen to be reading this thread, it would be awesome if they could stop by and answer a few of our questions. I'm tempted to query but I can't justify it until I know more about who's behind The Novel Fox and what resources they have in place. I'm also a bit concerned about some of the language on their site, particularly when they talk about authors 'partnering' with them.

Last edited:

dondomat

Banned
Reaction score
Novel Fox

Very new guys, http://www.thenovelfox.com/publisher/, accept new and previously published novels in fantasy, sci-fi, thrillers, and YA. New novels get an advance starting at $1K, reprints get no advance.
Novellas get $250 and up. Short stories get 7c with a cap at $500.
This is a new outfit that will either become a major player in the indie field, or sink instantly, or slowly morph into Zharmae 2 or the like. I very much hope the first will happen.
Details are quite lacking, though. Perhaps they will appear in time.

Last edited:

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
Nothing about the staff or their experience. No covers, even sample covers. The submission guidelines don't specify length of manuscript or any unacceptable elements. And given that they're accepting fantasy, SF and YA (rather than specializing in one genre or publishing niche fiction), they'll be going up against a lot of competition.

Definitely a wait-two-years if interested in them for some reason.

dondomat

Banned
Reaction score
I frequently send a short story to new people I'm curious about, and I sent one to them too. We'll see how it goes.

Jinsune

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a bit confused about how The Fox Novel is publishing their writers. On their publisher page, they say they're interested in digital ebooks, but on their novel submission page they mention physical print books. Do you think they're a POD publisher?

I'm not a fan of them not having an inquiry/contact page.
I'll send a short story as well to test the waters.

Jim Riley

Louisiana: Sportsman's Paradise
Registered
Reaction score
I sent a query and they asked for a synopsis. Sent it yesterday. Will wait and see.

VonAngel

without wings
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thesisterconnection.wordpress.com
If they had more info or an "about us" page, that would be better. They said something about "post marketing" too which through me off, shouldn't it be "pre and post?" You'd think they'd want to hype up the coming out books if and when they have them.

Hmm...looks like they mention "pre- and post-publication" marketing here (http://www.thenovelfox.com/author/):
"The Novel Fox is seeking talented authors who desire a publisher that takes an active role in all aspects of the book selling process, including helping the author refine the story, producing a polished and professional finished book, and aggressively marketing the book pre- and post-publication."

I didn't check out the site before, so I don't know if this statement was always there or if they did some revisions since the site first launched (perhaps they've been reading AW).

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm...looks like they mention "pre- and post-publication" marketing here (http://www.thenovelfox.com/author/):
"The Novel Fox is seeking talented authors who desire a publisher that takes an active role in all aspects of the book selling process, including helping the author refine the story, producing a polished and professional finished book, and aggressively marketing the book pre- and post-publication."

I didn't check out the site before, so I don't know if this statement was always there or if they did some revisions since the site first launched (perhaps they've been reading AW).

That wasn't like that before. They changed it and ironically the same exact way I mentioned it "pre and post". I have a feeling their on to this thread.

If so, it would be nice if they jumped in.

Oh, and I gave it a try. Got an R after 10 days. So they seem pretty fast.

Saanen

Registered
Reaction score
I just sent a query. I have no idea if my book is what they're looking for since they don't actually say what they want beyond a list of genres, but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask.

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
The Novel Fox

Apologies if this has been listed before. They're promising up to $1000 in advance and royalties on gross sales. Seems too good to be true and it's a fairly new organization. Anyone have information or have done business with them?

Here's the link.

http://www.thenovelfox.com/#chapter1

dondomat

Banned
Reaction score
Come here, let me hug you. I also thought they weren't listed.
In the future, I think the best way is to take a step back from the site, type into a search engine "Absolute write publisher X" and only if this combination does not come up--will this definitely mean it's not here...

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
Come here, let me hug you. I also thought they weren't listed.
In the future, I think the best way is to take a step back from the site, type into a search engine "Absolute write publisher X" and only if this combination does not come up--will this definitely mean it's not here...

---

Ah, consider me hugged, face-palmed, and kicked in the ass. Thank you for the link.

Mods, would you mind closing this thread? It appears that dondomat has solved the problem of my shortisightedness. Thanks.

Eltondiva

Effieron Empress
Registered
Reaction score
The Novel Fox (Publisher)

Hi All,
Having been away for a while (published my debut novel), I wondered if anyone had any news of this publisher?

http://www.thenovelfox.com/publisher/

The Administrator is listed as Amanda Ritter, they are a new company by the looks of things. I wondered if any of the more experienced members might know something of them?

In case I have posted this wrongly, I would be grateful if a mod could post it in the right place.

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
There's a short discussion about this publisher in this thread. <link snipped>

(Congrats on your novel!)

Last edited by a moderator: