• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Publisher] BookFish Books

PVish

Cat hair collector
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peevishpen.blogspot.com
A flapping red flag on the homepage:
BookFish Books is not your average publishing house run by experts and editors. We're a house run by authors for authors and their readers.

I think I'd rather trust my work with experts and editors. But that's just me. One of the four members of "the team" is a freelance editor, though. Of their four books, a couple are by members of the team.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
A flapping red flag on the homepage:

I think I'd rather trust my work with experts and editors. But that's just me. One of the four members of "the team" is a freelance editor, though. Of their four books, a couple are by members of the team.

This made me pause too. You have the right frame of mind. Even though they may be great, they don't really have extensive editing backgrounds.

Tromboli

Hopelessly Hopeful
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staceytrombley.com
They just requested on a friends pitch during pitmad but even the website they have linked doesn't work anymore (for me at least. Is it working for anyone else?)

Thinking this is no.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website worked for me.

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
I only saw four books listed and two of them were written by the team that is in charge of your novel's destiny. That ain't necessarily a bad thing, but it seems to me like a group of people got together and made a website/company to showcase their work. No track record yet. I'd wait on this.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Bumping this thread due to lots of favoriting during #pitmad today. I like their covers, but, yeah, they don't seem to have any creds.

Raptor

Registered
Reaction score
Their twitter contest is on Oct 13, 2015.

Here's the link to it: http://www.bookfishbooks.com/#!blank/c1uqy

Long time lurker here, finally signed up to post up what I discovered this morning. Their books are on amazon kindle, most for under a dollar. I get the impression they are not a hard book publishing company, so I think I'll be passing on this twitter contest.

Still, they are making a tempting offer to edit your stuff, should they favorite your tweet... So if anyone knows more about them, I'd love to hear about it.

- Edit
So, went back and had a look at their amazon listings recently. Seems that they have hard versions available now. That's heartening. Also looks like they are expanding their author list. So, while I'm hopeful, I'm still wary. I do like that they offer to do edits... but at the same time, I don't want to be sucked into a gimmick because that looks like too good of a deal.

Last edited:

VEHust

Registered
Reaction score
I really want Bookfish Books to have more creds than they do. They've faved my pitch once in Pitmad and once in SFFpit but I'm just not seeing it.

No one has anything new to add do they? haha

TRezvani

Registered
Reaction score
They liked one of my SFFpit pitches but I see on their website that they only accept novels up to 80K in length.

Last edited:

AJ Flowers

Registered
Reaction score
Good experience as far as feedback

I participated in their Twitter contest, the reward for a favorite being a critique on the first three chapters. While nervous about new publishers, this was an awesome prize and I was thrilled to win. They gave me an incredible critique and even offered me a revise and resubmit. This is the kind of supportive environment I'd want to work in and I submitted my revision after a few months. Still waiting to hear back, but whether they want to move forward with me or not, I've had a great experience.

Last edited:

Raptor

Registered
Reaction score
Let us know how it goes, AJ. Looks like they are doing more twitter contests here soon and I'd be curious to see if they are in fact growing as an agency.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Let us know how it goes, AJ. Looks like they are doing more twitter contests here soon and I'd be curious to see if they are in fact growing as an agency.

But they're not an agency. BookFish is a publishing company.

ViviMont

Registered
Reaction score
Hi! Any new or recent information/experiences with Bookfish Books?

Madame Medusa

Registered
Reaction score
I noticed their website was down today, and I messaged them through Facebook to let them know, figuring it was a tech issue. They sent me a response that said they have closed -- not just to submissions, but closed.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
I just saw this today and I'm surprised. I was actually going to go with them at one point. They wanted revisions and I attempted them, but my heart wasn't in the publisher. They weren't giving any advances and I just didn't see much incentive with that. I decided to pass and press on with submitting to publishers and found Flux (which gave me an advance and lots of other perks.) I'm so glad I decided to pass on Bookfish. Go with your gut people. If you feel something off, don't do it. There's other, better publishers out there. I always research everything first, thoroughly. I've had some crummy publishers in the past and never want to go back. This just proves it.