• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Saybird.com -- Free Beta Reading (mystery, humor, alt, other)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saybird

Registered
Reaction score
Saybird exists to help aspiring writers grow their stories. We offer beta reading services (for free) to projects which align with our interests.

Our primary interest is good writing, which, we realize, is vague and lame. To be more specific, we love elements of mystery, humor, and the weird. But we are open to most any ideas: literary, sci-fi, non-fiction, YA, horror, alt lit.

Please visit us at www.saybird.com and follow the links to read more about us and/or submit partial or whole manuscripts (we like a synopsis first).

mmallico

Registered
Reaction score
Who are your readers? What are their qualifications? What projects have they worked on in the past? How do you offer this for free? Are there any hidden charges?

I'm not even sure this belongs here.

Saybird

Registered
Reaction score
Our readers are all aspiring writers. Qualifications vary, but most of us have some minor publications (I have a story hitting the apt Magazine website Monday, for instance). I started the site in an attempt to do something to combat the loneliness and frustrations of aspiring writers like myself. I wanted a space for beta reading where readers don't want anything in return. We have no plans for making money from this. There are no hidden changes. We would like to build up enough of a following to promote projects we like in a meaningful way. I'm sure people will be cautious at first (with good reason), but we'll try to stick it out and stick to our mission of helping aspiring writers grow their stories.

--Matt Coleman
www.saybird.com
@saybirdbooks

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
Saybird, whether this stays or gets moved is up to the Room Mod, but please, stick around, get involved in the community. After all, our members currently only have your post to recommend the eponymous site. So, for it to appear to have any value, the members are going to have to see that you have value to the community. That sounds cold and hard, but it really isn't. It's the same as meeting someone on the street, or a salesman in a shop. Their actions, their conversations with others, that's what shows their interests, designs and value. Please read the Newbie Guide. Get involved.

We're always benefiting from fresh points of view and valued resources for writers.

Saybird

Registered
Reaction score
Not cold and hard, Williebee. It's fair. We plan to continue to get involved on the boards here and on other sites. And boards are a little attack-y, so we are definitely prepared to have to prove ourselves out. We have several manuscripts we are currently working on, and let's all hope they see crazy success and give us some cred. Until then, the site's there for anyone who wants to take advantage. And we hope the post doesn't get moved from the Beta Reader thread. It is, after all, what we are.

mmallico

Registered
Reaction score
Not cold and hard, Williebee. It's fair. We plan to continue to get involved on the boards here and on other sites. And boards are a little attack-y, so we are definitely prepared to have to prove ourselves out. We have several manuscripts we are currently working on, and let's all hope they see crazy success and give us some cred. Until then, the site's there for anyone who wants to take advantage. And we hope the post doesn't get moved from the Beta Reader thread. It is, after all, what we are.

Attack-y?

I didn't mean to be, but as a writer, I am hesitant to send my manuscript to just anyone and if I can't see any relevant qualifications or a solid track record, it only raises my hesitation.

That's not to mean I'm trying to make you freel unwelcome, but I simply want to know more about you. Welcome to AW at any rate.

Saybird

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, no, mmallico, I didn't feel attacked. I simply meant, in general, that's the nature of message boards. And, therefore, I'm prepared to have to defend my intentions often. Trust me, these replies feel pure of intention. And 100% understandable.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Saybird, what does your site offer that AW, for example, doesn't? We have beta-readers here, and offer critiques, and a lot more besides.

Osulagh

Independent fluffy puppy.
Registered
Reaction score
I simply meant, in general, that's the nature of message boards.

Online forums are communities and they have their own mentalities. Some are very hostile, some aren't. AW is one of the few that has a rather neutral mentality.

That said, I would never send my MS off to some organization seeking to do free work for no return. It screams scam to me.

Saybird

Registered
Reaction score
No scam. We're simply trying to use our experiences and interests to help. But, as I posted previously, we're just getting started, so skepticism is completely understandable. I think what we offer (currently) not found with a lot of beta readers is that we aren't looking for anything to be read in return. And we aren't always your best bet. We select works based on our interests, so we don't offer to read every submitted synopsis. But, for those works which align with our interests, we are another resource out there for aspiring writers.

quianaa2001

Registered
Reaction score
I don't really see how it's a scam. I mean it a place that's starting out, they need are are building a base. I don't see what's the harm in sending things to them anymore than posting things on here for feedback.
It's just like a beta tumblr or LJ. Also they are filling a need for beta's on full projects, which you can't post here, or have to beg for someone to read.
Even if it was a scam your sending them a draft, something your looking to make better, not the finished polished project.

Status
Not open for further replies.