The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: [Publicity] Blue Moon Communications

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

[Publicity] Blue Moon Communications

Anyone know anything about these guys?

The agent's site is here, http://www.promotingbooks.blogspot.com and the main site is at http://www.bluemooncommunications.com/

The blog is really unprofessional and filled with errors, but the main site looks pretty good. Does anyone have any experience with them? Would you recommend them?

And now, back to Plodding! Duncan J Macdonald's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PsychySensei
    Anyone know anything about these guys?

The agent's site is here, http://www.promotingbooks.blogspot.com and the main site is at http://www.bluemooncommunications.com/

The blog is really unprofessional and filled with errors, but the main site looks pretty good. Does anyone have any experience with them? Would you recommend them?
    It's a PR firm. Why would you do your own PR? Unless you are self-published, I get the impression that your publisher does the PR.
    R/
    Hamster #164

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin Travel_Writer's Avatar
    There main site has some spelling and grammar mistakes too, and some of their rates are kind of ridiculously priced. I also donít think itís very professional that they have put a client list on there main website, name dropping is a very amateur thing to do especially in media circles.

I donít have any experience of this company, this is the first time Iíve ever heard of them. But for me, if I was looking at this company Iíd be thinking of all the errors that can be clearly seen at their main website and their blog. Iíd be wondering too about the quality of the work they say they can do, if there web spaces are full of grammar and spelling mistakes, I think that in itself says a lot about the company

Quote Originally Posted by Travel_Writer
    There main site has some spelling and grammar mistakes too, and some of their rates are kind of ridiculously priced. I also donít think itís very professional that they have put a client list on there main website, name dropping is a very amateur thing to do especially in media circles.
    I'm not sure if that's true in the case of a publicity firm. It certainly isn't true in the case of a literary agency, so why should a publicity firm be any different? One thing that separates a scam agent from a real one is that the real ones are willing to share their list of clients. Some of the biggest names (for example, Donald Maas) list clients on their web sites. How else would you know that a publicity firm is legitimate unless you knew their cliens? On the other hand, if a publicity firm lists lots of authors whose books you've seen in bookstores (and in Costco, Wal-Mart, etc.), then a new author probably can't afford their rates.

Anyway, even if you have a contract from a legitimate commercial publisher, I'd still be careful about spending money on a publicist. You're better off concentrating on writing your next book, and your next. I know a lot of writing groups talk about the importance of the publicity, but a lot of the money authors spend on publicity is wasted.

And if you are self-publishing or if you have signed a contract with a "self-publishing service," forget it. Unless you have a way to distribute that book -- such as selling them in real bookstores or selling them at lectures, etc. -- then a publicity firm probably can't help.

P.S. They do have to work on that blog a little more.
    THE Official FreakTM
    That's not me in my avatar. That's Papa Emeritus II and the Nameless Ghouls of Ghost
    -- AARlist2, my romance reader discussion group
    Dubbed "Cool Thread Starter Girl" by JeanneTGC

I donít have any experience of this company, this is the first time Iíve ever heard of them. But for me, if I was looking at this company Iíd be thinking of all the errors that can be clearly seen at their main website and their blog. Iíd be wondering too about the quality of the work they say they can do, if there web spaces are full of grammar and spelling mistakes, I think that in itself says a lot about the company

If you're going to criticize spelling and grammar, don't post a message with errors.

I'm just sayin'...

Also, I'd assume they have the permission of clients to post names. If so, that's not unprofessional.
    I feel God in this Chili's.
    -Pam Beesley

Talking lol

Two spelling error's, I made writing that post in the wee early hours of me morning. How could I have done such a thing, to make you come on at grouch at me like that? Oh! The shame of it all, how will I ever live it down. Why did I even feel the need Sas to have an opinion? After all people post on these boards because they donít want people to answer, once again Oh! The shame of it allÖ.lol

Two spelling error's, I made writing that post in the wee early hours of me morning. How could I have done such a thing, to make you come on at grouch at me like that? Oh! The shame of it all, how will I ever live it down. Why did I even feel the need Sas to have an opinion? After all people post on these boards because they donít want people to answer, once again Oh! The shame of it allÖ.lol

You've missed the point. We all make grammatical errors in posts. However, if one is posting about a site's errors, make certain one's post doesn't contain errors. [Note: errors...not error's.]
    I feel God in this Chili's.
    -Pam Beesley

lol

Dreamer of dreams, teller of tales Absolute Sage Susan Gable's Avatar
    I'm *pretty sure* that I know of this group and that a number of romance authors have happily worked with them.

I'll do some more digging and see what I can find out for you.

Susan G.
    Susan Gable www.susangable.com
    As Good As His Word
    May 2011 - Harlequin Superromance
    The Family Plan - July 2010 Superromance

Your online computer-fixer-upper:
    www.PCWebDoc.com
    Fixing computers via the internet!

Writer Beware Goddess Absolute Sage victoriastrauss's Avatar
    That's my impression also, Susan.

- Victoria

Well, sheesh, I should have gone to the website first. Yes, I've heard loads of good things about them.

As to why a published author might want to use them - well, this PR lady managed to land 2 authors on the Kelly Rippa book club. How big a deal is THAT? Well, these romance authors were getting print runs of about 30k for their books. When it was announced they were getting on Reading with Rippa, the publishers went back for another print run - of 300k. No kidding. I heard that directly from one of those romance authors.

Now, do you think that's had an impact on their careers? You'd better believe it. This launched them onto "the lists." This gave them a huge shot of visablity and brought them bunches of new fans - fans who continued to buy their next books.

I'm quite sure if I were to ask them if they felt the money they invested in Blue Moon's services was worth it, they'd say yes.

So, I do know people who've used this company and been very happy with the results.

Susan G.
    As Good As His Word

www.PCWebDoc.com

Okay, after asking around on some of my lists, I did get some feedback from a few individuals who were not satisified customers with this group.

There were a variety of complaints, but I'm not at liberty to go into specifics. So let's just say that there were some folks unhappy with the service they received.

Susan G.
    Last edited by Susan Gable; 03-21-2006 at 04:55 PM.
    As Good As His Word

www.PCWebDoc.com

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Could you generalize? I.e., poor communication? Odd accounting? Services not rendered as advertised?
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Quote Originally Posted by CaoPaux
    Could you generalize? I.e., poor communication? Odd accounting? Services not rendered as advertised?
    Yes.

(Okay, perhaps not odd acccounting, but did hear for someone being billed for services not rendered.)

Susan G.
    As Good As His Word

www.PCWebDoc.com

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Thanks, dat helps.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Quote Originally Posted by Susan Gable
    Yes.

(Okay, perhaps not odd acccounting, but did hear for someone being billed for services not rendered.)

Susan G.
    Hi all -

I just saw this... I do Blue Moon classes as an affiliate and so far my students are super happy. Glad to give you tons of references. Not sure what the services not paid for could be because I bill monthly for the promo work I do as AUTHORS RED ROOM and have had the same 18 or so clients for over a year. Many longer. I only started doing project stuff as a consultant last month and because of my own writing haven't had time for much. I did one job lol..She was a student from one of my classes. I send most everyone to Theresa at Blue Moon Communications. Glad to give anyone a client list and references. I have many on the site as does Theresa on her Bluemooncommunications.com site.

As for errors on the training site, I had someone change out the blog faces for me and when they did somehow the proof copy got inserted! I didn't know and I felt like a dope when I realized! Now, I do have an underconstruction sign up because the additions have been fast and I haven't gotten to fine tune it all yet.

The daily free tips on promotion I write freehand a lot and they are informal. I can't promise to never make an error on those! LOL..I usually do them with my first cup of coffee of the morning. BUT I try to post free tips every single weekday so hopefully they are helpful!

Finally, as for Blue Moon the PR firm, I contract with them on the classes but as for their promo services I know they have worked with most of the major houses and they are impressive as heck. I sent some of my clients to them for big NYC releases and every client called me excited after talking to them.

Some references for me - Cathryn Fox (Avon). Vivi Anna (Avon and Kensington), Sylvia Day (Avon and Kensignton), Delilah Devlin (Avon and Ellora's Cave). I have TONS more. Just yell and I will shoot them at ya!

Now I cannot find spellcheck which I KNOW must be very obvious so be easy on me!

Lisa Renee Jones
    Lisareneejones.com

Quote Originally Posted by redroom
    Hi all -

IFinally, as for Blue Moon the PR firm, I contract with them on the classes but as for their promo services I know they have worked with most of the major houses and they are impressive as heck. I sent some of my clients to them for big NYC releases and every client called me excited after talking to them.

Some references for me - Cathryn Fox (Avon). Vivi Anna (Avon and Kensington), Sylvia Day (Avon and Kensignton), Delilah Devlin (Avon and Ellora's Cave). I have TONS more. Just yell and I will shoot them at ya!

Lisa Renee Jones
    Lisareneejones.com
    Hi, Lisa! Thanks for stopping by. The more input on things, the better, and we like hearing many sources of information. We all know that one-size does NOT fit all, so it's great to get information from a wide variety of sources.

Also, I want you all to know that Teresa contacted me off-list. She mentioned that she did know of a client who'd had some issues, but she'd worked them out with that person. She wanted you all to know that if you have any questions, please feel free to contact her directly, and she'd be happy to discuss things with you.

Theresa Meyers
    President, Blue Moon Communications, Bluemooncomm@aol.com

Susan G.
    Last edited by Susan Gable; 03-28-2006 at 08:43 AM.
    As Good As His Word

www.PCWebDoc.com