The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: [Publicist] Media Connect (formerly Planned TV Arts)

TheWriteStuff

[Publicist] Media Connect (formerly Planned TV Arts)

Another title for this post could be Tangled Webs.

How I long for the naive days when I thought best sellers became best sellers because the writing was so good! It really makes me wonder if anyone on those lists deserve it or have they just found the key to it all - publicity.

Here's what got me going on this today...you know all the discussion that's been going on about Warren Whitlock. Well, this is a link that comes in the newsletter from Planned TV Arts. This link features Rick Frishman and Planned TV Arts (of which he is the president); it's about using an e-mail blast to publicize a book.

http://marketingresultscoach.com/pta.htm.
    (Notice the root of this link? That's Warren Whitlock's site! Just take off the /pta.htm part and see for yourself.) Apparently, Rick and Warren are doing some kind of joint venture, thought it never mentions Warren on that particular page.

Here's the kicker: Planned TV Arts (www.PlannedTVArts.com) has been around for over 40 years. It is one of the highest profile book publicity firms around. See the link on their testimonials page. It includes celebrities and bestsellers such as James Carville, Howard Stern, Jack Canfield, John Gray, and Barbara Bush as well as several recognizable publishers!

Rick is also a co-author of Guerilla Marketing For Writers and other books.

Can anyone out there shed some light onto this and tell me what this is all about? Seriously, why are we all trying to get agents and publishers the old-fashioned way? Can we really do it all ourselves by just paying for publicity?

I swear the more I learn about this business, the more confused I get!

Any comments or information would be greatly appreciated. (If I hadn't found this site to discuss things with other peple who are trying to struggle through this journey too, I don't know what I would do trying to make sense of it all by myself. Thanks, everyone.)
    Last edited by CaoPaux; 06-08-2008 at 03:13 AM. Reason: reformatted to conserve space

Your Genial Uncle Absolute Sage James D. Macdonald's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWriteStuff
    Can we really do it all ourselves by just paying for publicity?
    No.

Next question?

Writer Beware Goddess Absolute Sage victoriastrauss's Avatar
    ...we have successfully set up promotions that compel hundreds or even thousands of readers to buy your book in a short period of time.
    Dang. Compel them. Why didn't I think of that?

You are getting sleeeeeeeepy....

Seriously, this looks like one of those plans where people are offered gifts and prizes if they'll all buy your book on the day of its release, propelling it (usually briefly) to top status on Amazon or B&N.com, after which you can attach "bestselling" to all your publicity material. This can work--I seem to remember that Jenna did something similar, through a different company, for one of her books--but it's a relatively small window, and once the bubble passes you'll probably be back where you began.

- Victoria

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

[Publicist] Rick Frishman

Does anybody know anything about Rick Frishman? I know he's written a lot of books for authors and he "says" he's a top publicist for authors. "Enquiring" minds want to know. We're exploring the idea of hiring a publicist to compliment what our publisher is doing.

Writer Beware Goddess Absolute Sage victoriastrauss's Avatar
    Rick Frishman is one of the publishers at Morgan James, a vanity publisher that's the subject of a thread in this forum.

- Victoria

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Rick Frishman

Victoria,

Yeah, I know that he's associated with Morgan James Publishing which is why I'm a little concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by Janis Love View Post
    Victoria,

Yeah, I know that he's associated with Morgan James Publishing which is why I'm a little concerned.
    On one hand, he's affiliated with Morgan James Publishing, which is a red flag. However, he is affiliated with Ruder Finn, which is a very respectable PR firm.

Still, if you go to the Ruder Finn website, and click through to the "Planned Television Arts" section, you'll see impressive and specific lists of clients on managing director David Hahn's "About Us" page, and on the pages of other department heads. On Frishman's page, you see fairly vague puffery and plugs for his own books.

If it were me, I'd steer clear and go with higher-profile, more proven folks, even if they're slightly more expensive. I'm distrustful of anyone in the publicity field who does a horrible job of presenting their own experience and credentials.
    Last edited by IceCreamEmpress; 02-14-2008 at 05:56 AM.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Adding link--site talks, but "off" buton is easy to find: http://www.rickfrishman.com/
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Still working on that second novel
    A few years ago, I inquired about PTA's PR services. As it turns out, they offer a program similar to the "Amazon Bestseller" program. Here's the link to their webpage that explains it- scroll down to the bottom to "Plan B":

http://www.plannedtelevisionarts.com...estseller.html

That's not their only promotion package, but it was the one they recommended to me. The cost? A mere $7,500. (And that was years ago.)

For that price, I could buy half a ton of my own book on Amazon (625 copies, to be exact) briefly make it a bestseller and have all those books to show for it as well.

Needless to say, I took a pass.

Ever since I contacted him, I've been on Rick Frishman's email list. Today I received a copy of his latest newsletter. I'm posting it separately because it's so long, but it will give you a clear picture what Mr. Frishman does. (I squished it down as best I could- he uses a lot of white space.) Mr. Frishman not only pitches his own products, but other products as well. There's a few tips from one of his books (AUTHOR 101) in about the middle of the newsletter that explains how publishers accept and edit manuscripts. It would be interesting to hear Victoria's and Mr. Macdonald's opinion of those tips.

There are indeed quite a few notable bestselling authors in the PTA stable...

http://www.plannedtelevisionarts.com/bestsellers.html

...but somehow it's hard to imagine they were all asked to fork over $7500 (or more) to promote their books through an "Amazon Bestseller" program.
    An Audience for Einstein website:
    http://anaudienceforeinstein.weebly.com/

The Huffington Post book reviewers really like my book:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0...n_Audience_For

Still working on that second novel

Rick Frishman's Newsletter

__________________________________________________ ___
    You're receiving this newsletter because you asked for a subscription. This newsletter is only
    sent to people who specifically request it. If you don't want to receive these emails any longer, just go to the end of this page where you can delete yourself quickly, easily and automatically.
    __________________________________________________ _______
    In this issue…
    v Quotes of the week
    v Quiz of the week
    v Mega Book Marketing University
    v PTA's Upcoming TeleSeminars
    v National Publicitty Summit March 26-29 in NY
    v 'Step Up' Your Book Promotion
    v The 2008 Ethan Awards call for entries
    v Rick on TV this coming Saturday Feb 23
    v Rick Recommends
    v Tips From the Top -
    v Speaking Conference April 6-7 (Houston)
    v Another great tip on pitching shows
    v Teleseminar Tonight on internet marketing
    v Internet Resources
    __________________________________________________ ____________
    Happy Tuesday. I am on vacation this week - so this is a special Tuesday edition.
    Catch the teleseminar tonight on internet marketing- with special guest Armand Morin!
    Here is your once a week newsletter with lots of tips and information for you.
    Last weeks teleseminar with Yank Silver ended up being a teleseminar on Publishing with me and David Hancock- You can listen in on our replay line 507 726 3837.
    The Yanik Silver teleseminar has been rescheduled to Wed March 5th
    "Guinness World Record Holder Unlocks The Vault and Releases Powerful Secrets He Used to Sell Over 144 Million Books " And Still Going Strong...
    Now You Can Get Your Very Own Roadmap to Book Marketing
    Success and Finally Become a Best Selling Author!
    I will be speaking at Mega and will be bringing 15 agents,
    editors and publishers for you to meet!
    http://www.markvictorhansen.com/cmd.php?af=115423&p=1
    __________________________________________________ ____________
    Fr**e Teleseminar February 27, 2008, 8-9pm EST
    I will interview Daniel Hall author of the critically acclaimed program "Speak on Cruise Ships: 8 Easy Steps to a Lifetime of Free Luxury Cruises." Daniel Hall says...'The startling truth...Getting FREE Cruises Isn't Rocket Science. Any Reasonably Intelligent Person Can Do It... Including YOU!' Here's the secret: Cruise lines are constantly scouting for people who will share their passions, hobbies, or craft projects with other passengers as an onboard speaker or arts and crafts leader! The trick is breaking in with cruise line "enrichment programs" who bring speakers, presenters and activity leaders onboard for the benefit of other passengers. In this teleseminar you'll learn exactly how it's done. If you want to cruise free - this is your teleseminar.
    In this exclusive teleseminar you'll learn how-to...
    Get free cruises for yourself
    Get free cruises for your traveling companion
    Get every passenger perk onboard
    Cruise anytime (almost) anywhere
    Sell your books onboard
    Create passive revenue streams from your onboard content
    Use your cruise gigs to build an "author's platform"
    Here's how to participate:
    Please call 712 338 8100
    Then press in the code: 222089#
    8:00 pm ET
    5:00 pm Pacific
    Past Teleseminars:
    Remember, our TeleSeminars are free (excluding your call cost). If you missed our last TeleSeminar you can dial the replay line at 507 726 3837
    Or go to our website at http://www.plannedtvarts.com We have about 79 hours of great information for you!
    Attend Steve Harrison's National Publicity Summit in NYC, March 26-29th and personally meet over 100 top writers and producers for major magazines and TV shows like ABC's The View, 48 Hours, CNN, Fox News, MSNBC, Family Circle, Today Show, Live With Regis & Kelly, Time mag and more.
    One of my clients got on MSNBC as a result of attending the Summit. Another got a photo shoot with Jane magazine only a few weeks later.
    I'll be there and you should be too!
    [URL]http://www.nationalpublicitysummit.com/?10065
    Bonus: I will be speaking at the Summit- and if you sign up this week I will take you to out to a meal at the Summit.
    You can ask me anything you like! Hope to see you there-
    __________________________________________________ _________________
    'Step Up' Your Book Promotion
    A friend of mine by the name of Daniel Grissom has just released his new book entitled, Step Up! How to WIN MORE and Lose Less in BUSINESS.
    Daniel is an expert in sales and leadership coaching to some of the premier Fortune 500 companies, like Google, IBM, UPS, NASDAQ, Eli Lilly and more, and he shares the same "insider secrets" in his tell-all book. This book is a literal roadmap for success, teaching you how to excel to new heights you've only imagined in the past.
    Now, what does this have to do with book promotion. A whole lot more than I thought at first. After reading the book and applying some of the tips Daniel writes about, I discovered I was able to find better, more efficient ways to work, which allowed me to work smarter instead of harder. Working smarter instead of harder is what we need for better book promotion, and as a bonus, the bi-product is more income.
    So, if I can make book promotion easier, then I definitely want to pass along that kind of information. I highly recommend you check out his book. Here's the link...
    http://stepupbook.com/specialoffer
    The 2008 Ethan Awards Call For Entries Has Gone Out! Nominate your favorite, Entrepreneurial Author today:
    The only international, all-encompassing entrepreneurial author awards, governed by a Board of Distinguished Judges & Advisors. [URL="http://ethan-awards.com/"]http://Ethan-Awards.com
    All Hardcover, Paperback, eBook and Audio authors are eligible to participate in The Ethan Awards™, a global search for authors doing extraordinary things in the marketplace. The 2008 call for entries has been issued.
    Learn more about The Ethan Awards™ and how to nominate your favorite Entrepreneurial Author™ at http://ethan-awards.com/aboutus.aspx .
    R.S. Owens, the same company that makes the Oscar®, Emmy, Clio and Stevie™ Awards, has designed the Ethan Award™, the trophy of The Entrepreneurial Author™.
    The Ethan Award™ is approximately 14 ½ inches tall, and is hand-cast and finished in 24-karat gold with a Black Nickel Base.
    Win an Ethan Award, and you'll earn international recognition for your book. Read the FAQ's then when you're ready, nominate an entrepreneurial author. http://ethan-awards.com/nominate.aspx
    You can see me on TV this coming Saturday... ( got to get up early though) I ON NEW YORK WITH HOST LAURIE PUHN" Saturday morning, 2/23 at 6AM WPXN-TV/the "i" channel/ ch. 3 or 31 in NY metro area, parts of Long Island, Westchester and NJ
    Featuring guest Rick Frishman
    Do you have a book in you?
    90% of Americans would write a book if they had the time and know-how. Rick Frishman, our expert book guru, best-selling author of 8 books including Guerrilla Publicity and the Author 101 series and nationally-known publisher shares insider's secrets on how to turn your story into a best-selling book. As Founder of Planned TV Arts, Rick has successfully trained leading authors for over 30 years. Don't miss out on your chance for free advice that could change your life!
    #1 ** Never Fear Media Interviews Again!
    Imagine being relaxed and comfortable the next time a reporter calls or when you step in front a camera. Imagine being confident in a media interview that you are in control and will be quoted saying what you want!
    Find out how you can ace ANY interview, look comfortable and confident, and get your message across in sound bites. http://www.kickstartcart.com/app/aftrack.asp?afid=725516
    #2 Traffic Geyser
    Want to see Traffic Geyser produce a Google #3 result in ten
    minutes? Last week Frank Kern hosted Traffic Geyser co-founder, Mike Koenigs at his "secret office hideout" in La Jolla, CA. Frank Interviewed Mike and had him demonstrate Traffic Geyser for his personal list. http://www.TrafficGeyser.com/cmd.php?af=697437&u=www.TrafficGeyser.com/fk/
    You won't believe the results:
    #3 Be a Speaker on a Cruise
    Want to cruise free as an author/speaker? Cruise guru, Daniel Hall is offering a complimentary Special Report "The Top 5 Cruise Line Enrichment Programs and How-To Use Them To Get FREE Luxury Cruises." This is a great opportunity to cruise free and build your platform. Get the report here: http://www.speakerscruisefree.com/rick
    __________________________________________________ _________
    ****TIPS FROM THE TOP*****
    >From AUTHOR101 (tm) by Rick Frishman and Robyn Freedman Spizman
    Approving the Purchase of Your Book
    At most publishing houses, the final purchasing decision is made by the Editor-in-Chief, the Chief Operating Officer, or an executive committee. The names of these executive committees differ for each publishing house and include Editorial, Acquisition, Purchase, and Publishing Committees or Boards. For our purposes, let's just refer to them as Publishing Boards. A Publishing Board usually meets at the same time each week. It consists of the publisher, editors, and marketing people. It also can include design and promotion personnel. These boards can range in size from ten to thirty people.
    In some companies, the Chief Operating Officer makes the final purchasing decision. Usually, he or she wants everyone on the committee or board to agree, but he or she will often proceed without unanimous approval. Publishing Boards set the price that they will be willing to pay for the book, and then the publisher sends a contract to the author's agent or directly to the author if he or she is not represented.
    In publishing houses, financial thresholds exist that limit what editors or groups of editors can offer writers for books. To exceed that threshold, they usually have to get approval from the Chief Financial Officer or someone high on the corporate ladder. If you expect top money, your proposal will get a rigorous reading from the higher-ups, who function as investment managers.
    You, your agent, and the publisher then negotiate the terms of the contract and sign the deal. If you sold the book on the basis of a proposal, you must now write the manuscript. An editor is assigned to your project, and you should contact the editor to map out the direction of the book and make sure that you're both on the same page.
    Upon completion of the manuscript and submission of it to the publisher, your editor edits the book. The editor then contacts you with his or her suggestions, to which you respond. In our experience, editors' suggestions have been greatly beneficial and have enhanced our books. At times, certain editors' opinions may be hard to swallow, but they're usually on target. Most editors are extremely professional and will improve your book.
    Occasionally, an editor's suggestions will be off the wall or will move the manuscript in a direction unacceptable to the author. If this occurs and you can't work it out with the editor, summon your agent to duke it out. It's part of the service you are paying for. When you finish making the agreed-upon revisions, your editor will accept your manuscript. At this point, a substantial portion of the advance against royalties is usually payable, frequently half.
    If the book is produced in-house, the edited manuscript is sent to the production department. Frequently, production--which includes copyediting, design, and indexing--is outsourced. When these functions are subcontracted, someone in-house reviews them.
    After the book is copyedited, the manuscript is sent back to you with the editor's query marks. When copyeditors' queries are transmitted via a computer file, they must be answered by using an electronic editing feature, which is available in most word-processing programs. Otherwise, copyedits are sent by hardcopy and must be attended to by hand. You must address each of the copyeditor's queries and then send the manuscript back.
    An excerpt from the National Bestseller Author 101(tm)
    Author 101 Bestselling Book Proposals: The Insider's Guide to Selling Your Work
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1593374127/
    http://www.author101.com
    ******Morgan James Publishing****
    Have your joined our member site yet?..... You are invited...
    Come join me on Morgan James Publishing- new "Community Ning site" Our authors have been asking for a community to join so now, we have it! I invite you to join and develop relationships with us!....even if you are not a Morgan James author! Click here to join: http://morganjamespublishing.ning.com/?xgi=32MFxtV
    __________________________________________________ _____________
    ----------Here is another great tip on pitching shows------
    As I promised in my last tip, here's another great fill-in-the-blank formula you can use to create a show pitch that is guaranteed to grab a producer's attention virtually every time ... (Please forward this e-mail to anyone it might help)
    * Pitch Formula: "You vs. __________: ____ secrets to _______"
    And here's a couple of examples of how you might apply it:
    > Show Pitch: "You vs. the IRS: 5 little known secrets to winning an audit"
    > Show Pitch: "You vs. your fear: 7 hidden secrets to crushing your inner demons"
    Wherever there is an opponent, wherever there is a battle or conflict, this formula works beautifully.
    Again, this pitch formula is courtesy of my friend Steve Harrison, publisher of Radio Television Interview Report ... (http://www.RadioTelevisionInterviewReport.com )
    In my next tip I'll share yet another great fill-in-the-blank formula you can use to create a show pitch guaranteed to grab a producer's attention virtually every time.
    Check out my friend Alex Carroll's entire database of the Biggest 1,364 radio shows in America (all have at least 100,000 listeners),complete with show descriptions and number of listeners for each show, visit his website: http://www.publicityvault.com . Alex's is the only database available of just the big shows ... all others are loaded with little podunk shows.
    It's a fact, authors come and go online. You'll see some people make it big for a while, make a bunch of money with their book but then they seem to fade away. One guy (who I'll mention in a minute) who has done this went from a vacuum salesman to a multi-millionaire and quickly became one of the most recognized names in the marketing industry. Last year alone, his business pulled in over $15 million dollars... and he took more time off because he and his wife just had a baby! Here's the key to this story...
    This isn't one of those "one hit wonders". This guy has been at the top of this industry since 1996 - that's over 12 years of continued online success. He runs the biggest seminar for the internet marketing industry.
    ...PLUS...
    He's helped thousands of people build their dream business, and he can do the same for you. Check him out next Tuesday night http://internetmarketingexplained.com/authors
    Instantvideo Generator http://members.instantvideogenerator.com/SpecialInfo.asp?x=565701
    PlanetLink Website design, Internet consulting, hosting and promotion services. http://www.planetlink.com Ricks Cheap Domains Web site domains for $8.95 a year. http://www.rickscheapdomains.com/
    Shopping Cart and Mailing List System This is the system that EVERYONE uses to do your newsletters- and all of your needs on the internet. http://www.rickswebsolution.com Publicity Resource- The Publicity Vault http://www.publicityvault.com
    Teleseminar Secrets http://www.TeleseminarPublicity.com
    Go to the Resource section at http://www.rickfrishman.com for more internet resources.
    PERMISSION TO REPRINT: You may reprint any items from "The Author 101 Newsletter" in your own print or electronic newsletter. But please include the following paragraph:
    Reprinted from "Rick Frishman's Author 101 Newsletter"
    Subscribe at://www.author101.com and receive Rick's "Million Dollar Rolodex"
    If you like my newsletter, please pass it on to your friends, clients and colleagues.
    Have a wonderful week!
    To your publishing success
    Rick Frishman
    Planned TV Arts
    1110 Second Avenue
    New York, NY 10022
    212-593-5845 fax 866-628-6117
    e: frishmanr@plannedtvarts.com http://www.plannedtvarts.com http://www.rickfrishman.com
    http://www.rickfrishmanblog.com
    http://www.morganjamespublishing.com
    If you no longer wish to receive communication from us:
    http://autocontactor.com/app/r.asp?ID=27505875&ARID=0&D =
    To update your contact information:
    http://autocontactor.com/app/r.asp?c=1&ID=27505875&D =
    Last edited by CaoPaux; 06-08-2008 at 03:51 AM. Reason: reformatted for ledgibility
    An Audience for Einstein website:
    http://anaudienceforeinstein.weebly.com/

The Huffington Post book reviewers really like my book:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0...n_Audience_For

Oh, my heavens.

So, yeah, remember the thing I said above about being distrustful of people in the public relations industry whose own communications present themselves in an embarrassing light?

That.

Domestic extremist darkprincealain's Avatar
    I received a postcard from these folks at work today. Work is printing but not literary books, I guess they didn't do their homework? They probably got our name from a mailing list as I see they are using the legal and not the DBA name.

Regardless, the postcard gave me a start from a design perspective--first of all, there is text in the space reserved for Post Office use, which most if not all postcard printers know is a big faux pas. Additionally, it is crammed with text much like the above email.

Overall, gave me a lukewarm feeling so I thought I ought to search the Water Cooler to see if there was already a thread on them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Introversion
    All true. But U.S. debates (and elections) are being judged by average people who are often seriously misinformed on important issues, and that vote for people they'd "like to have a beer with". The mainstream media is happy if the circus entertains, and so it goes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shannon L. Alder
    Often people that criticize your life are usually the same people that don't know the price you paid to get where you are today.

practical experience, FTW AnthonyPearson's Avatar

[Publicity] Media Connect / Ruder Finn Group

Hi all,

I was contacted by Brian Feinblum of media connect and he asked me if I wanted to be interviewed. His company is supposedly the "nations oldest and largest book promotions firm." www.Media-Connect.com

I was wondering if anyone had any interactions with this company. My hunch is that this is a company where you pay for them help you with promotional work. Which I guess is legit, but I don't know if it's worthy my time/money.

Thanks for any guidance,

Anthony
    www.anthonypearson.info (now with a blog!)

Baby Bear Eats the Night is here!

Available in e-book version, real book version, and hologram.

Well...maybe two out of the three.