Hello :)

Sartre

Registered
Reaction score
Hello,

Just thought I'd introduce myself... and I have to admit, it's far more nerve-wracking than I thought it would be when I signed up! It feels a bit like saying 'hi' to a complete stranger on a park bench; a bit awkward :)

If I'm honest, I think it's because I'm not too sure what kind of a writer I'm going to be yet, so I kind of feel like I don't really have an identity yet (a bit of a fraud too if that makes any sense!?) and so a bit exposed. On a positive note, I'm aware that to be a good writer I need to write, and this is why I've decided to start a blog. I've tried the whole pouring my brain into journals thing (that I carry around with me on my walks), but when I'm my only audience I don't really feel like I'm learning that much by using this method alone. I need an additional purpose to write and need someone (other than me) to be answerable to and write for. So, that's a little bit about me...not a writer yet, hopefully will be in a couple of years, just starting out as a blogger...apologies if I waffled :)

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome.

Yeah, it's more like introducing yourself to 60,000 strangers, in fact. :D Though lucky for us shy introvert types many of them don't read the new member threads.

Take your time, explore around, post in some of the social-type threads, and pretty soon it will start to feel more comfortable.

Enjoy!

Sartre

Registered
Reaction score
Cheers Kylabelle and Thuro. I feel much more settled in already.

I suppose it's natural to feel like a fraud when you start something new. It probably has something to do with the 'identity' thing. I was always interested in reading and writing a lot when I was younger, but for some reason I followed the drama route and was involved in a lot of amateur/semi-professional theatre and film stuff. I've recently come back to wanting to write, but I think it's a lot more difficult than performing on a stage. When you write it's your own language on the page, or at least, an attempt to find your own voice within the boundaries of an already existing language. As a result, you have to learn the rules first before you can start breaking them, and I find this bit very daunting.

Meg02

Registered
Reaction score
IMPOSTOR! GUARDS!

Nahhhh just jorshing *waits for Josh to come and go insane*

:welcome: You'll fit right in!

ssbittner

scientist, artist, writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ssbittner.com
Welcome to the boards! I've been told that feeling like a fraud often lasts even after you're published. So don't worry. You're in good company.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hello.gif

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!