Mclesh's Mad Self-Publishing Diary

Literateparakeet

Nerdy Budgie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lesliesillusions.blogspot.com
Excellent lesson on what not to do. It's funny (or sad) that her success will likely encourage her to do more of the same. I don't know what the answer is to that one.

I have turned off the daily notifications on a couple of my friends (not authors) who have done the same with their businesses. On the other hand, an author friend of mine (turned publisher) does a great job of using social media. Mostly she posts jokes and fun things about books in general. I always enjoy her posts. Occasionally she posts something about a book they published.

Anyway, congrats on your profess!

Mclesh

It's too hot
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.storyrhyme.com
Excellent lesson on what not to do. It's funny (or sad) that her success will likely encourage her to do more of the same. I don't know what the answer is to that one.

Exactly!

I have turned off the daily notifications on a couple of my friends (not authors) who have done the same with their businesses. On the other hand, an author friend of mine (turned publisher) does a great job of using social media. Mostly she posts jokes and fun things about books in general. I always enjoy her posts. Occasionally she posts something about a book they published.
Most of the people I follow and interact with regularly seem to use social media like this--not obnoxiously. They promote but also interact with others and it's not always: me, me, me!

Anyway, congrats on your profess!
Thanks! I'm getting there. :)

Literateparakeet

Nerdy Budgie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lesliesillusions.blogspot.com
LOL, I don't know what "profess" is. I meant progress, obviously. :)

I'm excited for your book to come out. I think my 12 yr old might get a kick out of it. He's so picky, but I think I might score with this one.

Celeste Carrara

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.celestecarrara.com
Just got caught up on your diary! I followed you on Pinterest & Twitter too :)

About FB, I totally understand your rant. I feel like it's just become a place where authors bombard people (mostly other authors) with promo. I hate it. That's why I don't go on it anymore. I have friends that update my author page and I check up on that, but my personal Celeste page, I never even check it.

Same with Twitter. My daughter (who has over 10,000 followers) took over my Twitter one day and when I looked at it I went from following 1200 people to following about 690 lol Yes, that cost me to loose a few followers. I went from about 1200 to 700, but she told me it needed to be "cleaned out" and I should always follow less amount of people & it'll get you more followers. At first I didn't believe her. Now I've got about 1100 followers and am still only following about 690 people. This got rid of mostly all those annoying spam accounts but I have to say, when I look at my timeline, it's about 95% of authors spaming their book. So, I don't even look at my timeline anymore! I do go on there and post random stuff, and my friends do post updates for my books, but they know they better not do constant promo cause I hate it! lol

I think your pre publication list looks great!! Good luck!!

Mclesh

It's too hot
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.storyrhyme.com
LiterateParakeet: I thought it was something like that. :D

Back before I started writing the series, I kept reading about how there weren't enough books for boys, or books that boys want to read. Not that these are "boy" books--I think I would have been all over them as a kid--but they do have male MCs. They're on the short side and are really meant to entertain. So I hope he enjoys it! *fingers crossed*

Celeste: Thank you! I just followed you back on Twitter (my main non-JD account as well as JD). ;) My Twitter feed had gotten so bad with author promos--I automatically follow most people back--that I had to actually go through and create a separate list for people whose tweets I don't want to miss. So when I go on, I go to my separate list and read those tweets and pretty much ignore the rest. So this leads me to wonder about the efficacy of Twitter marketing in general unless a person has a large amount of fans. :Shrug:

I'm glad that your daughter is helping you with your social media--and friends--that's great. It's hard to find time to be creative and write when there are all of these social media accounts to manage. It can be a lot of fun, but it's also a big time suck.

I really need to figure out a balance for my own sanity!

Mclesh

It's too hot
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.storyrhyme.com
Update five weeks till publication. (How will I live that long?) :tongue

Mr. Katz is now available for review on NetGalley as well as LibraryThing through their Member Giveaway program. I kind of screwed up on the LibraryThing giveaway, though. I didn't read the terms carefully enough--my attention span lately has been that of a small woodland creature--and realized after I'd signed up that the requesters won't receive their books until the end of the giveaway period, which I specified as three weeks. So that one isn't over until September 24th, which is only three weeks before release. Those reviews probably won't come in until after release.

I've also signed up for the Goodreads ARR (Authors Requesting Reviews) program and should be featured in the YA/MG group's email newsletter soon.

Oh, and my e-book is available for pre-order on Amazon. (The link's in my sig.)

Now, if I could just find some time to write, that would be super. ;)

Edited to add: Fixed my pre-order link. Thanks to the tipper offers who tipped me off. :D

Last edited:

Ramshackle

*scribbles*
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badmenagerie.com
Eeek! I just found out that Mr. Katz is a Zombie was featured in NetGalley's September Cover Love, um, thingie! Right alongside books from Scholastic and Penguin.

My cover designer is going to get a big head now. :D

AHHHHHHH!!! :D

And it's the first one in the line... and and... oooh!

It's an awesome cover though, so I'm not that surprised. :)

Mclesh

It's too hot
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.storyrhyme.com
SWest: I squeed all over myself!

Ramshackle: Thank you! I was a little nervous with the cover since it's a little unusual. :D

It reads very well as a thumbnail, which is so important. So many people are browsing the internet using phones and tablets with smaller screens, so a cover should still be clear when reduced down. Something to think about! My extra two cents today. ;)

slhuang

Inappropriately math-oriented.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.slhuang.com
I'm totally gonna be a jerk and pre-empt Mclesh to say that:

OMG HER BOOK IS OUT IT'S OUT IT'S OUT!!!!!!
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NEF3IVG/?tag=absowrit-20

Also, IT'S ALREADY IN A TOP 100 LIST! #62 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Children's eBooks > Science Fiction, Fantasy & Scary Stories > Fantasy & Magic > Paranormal & Urban!! So if you're thinking about buying it, now's a great time so she gets bumped higher and higher and hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigher..... :D :D :D *imagines Mclesh's book bouncing into the sky like an overzealous superball* *is totally a publicity hound for friends*

I beta'ed this book, btw, and it is an utterly delightful read. Mclesh's prose is, as ever, crisp and wonderful. And OMG the ILLUSTRATIONS. Buy eet!!!!!

Last edited:

Ramshackle

*scribbles*
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badmenagerie.com
Also, IT'S ALREADY IN A TOP 100 LIST! #62 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Children's eBooks > Science Fiction, Fantasy & Scary Stories > Fantasy & Magic > Paranormal & Urban!!

#58 last I checked! :D

I happened to check my kindle just after midnight... a mighty dangerous situation, given I had to get up early in the morning. ;)

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
Loving this thread -- the clear promo plan, the non-aggressive promotion :D, the excellent cover, and all the hard work! This looks like an excellent story.

Definitely putting it on the to-read list, hopefully I'll be able to pick up a copy after my next payday. :)

Mclesh

It's too hot
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.storyrhyme.com
Loving this thread -- the clear promo plan, the non-aggressive promotion :D, the excellent cover, and all the hard work! This looks like an excellent story.

Definitely putting it on the to-read list, hopefully I'll be able to pick up a copy after my next payday. :)

Aww, thank you, EMaree! :Hug2:

Celeste Carrara

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.celestecarrara.com
This is so great to hear! I'm so happy for you!! I wish you many many sales!! I'm happy to pick this up for my 11 year old son!! Can't wait to read it with him!! So glad there's a paper back cause my son won't read on my Kindle lol ;)

Last edited:

Mclesh

It's too hot
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.storyrhyme.com
This is so great to hear! I'm so happy for you!! I wish you many many sales!! I'm happy to pick this up for my 11 year old son!! Can't wait to read it with him!! So glad there's a paper back cause my son won't read on my Kindle lol ;)

Celeste, thank you! And I'm very happy that you said that about the paperback. My husband spent his time, making sure the paperback looked good. I felt like I had to have one for the target audience. I sold a few yesterday and the days leading up to publication--I hit publish on Createspace October 7th, and it went live I think by the end of that day. So a few people ordered their books over the weekend. I was trying to coordinate with the Kindle release so everything would be ready at the same time. The paperback wasn't available on Barnes & Noble when I checked the day before, but then on release day, it was there in their online store.

One friend ordered her paperback last Friday and received it the next day. Just regular delivery! (Amazon recently opened a warehouse in our area, so I think deliveries have sped up considerably.)

I'm not sure how many paperbacks have sold so far, but I think it's running neck and neck with the ebooks.

I have a review up on Amazon from a ten-year-old reader, which makes me feel very happy. I doubt that he would have been so excited about the book if he couldn't hold it in his hands. :snoopy:

Children's books are a tough category, so I'm not really sure where I'm going to go from here. :Shrug:

Celeste Carrara

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.celestecarrara.com
Celeste, thank you! And I'm very happy that you said that about the paperback. My husband spent his time, making sure the paperback looked good. I felt like I had to have one for the target audience. I sold a few yesterday and the days leading up to publication--I hit publish on Createspace October 7th, and it went live I think by the end of that day. So a few people ordered their books over the weekend. I was trying to coordinate with the Kindle release so everything would be ready at the same time. The paperback wasn't available on Barnes & Noble when I checked the day before, but then on release day, it was there in their online store.

One friend ordered her paperback last Friday and received it the next day. Just regular delivery! (Amazon recently opened a warehouse in our area, so I think deliveries have sped up considerably.)

I'm not sure how many paperbacks have sold so far, but I think it's running neck and neck with the ebooks.

I have a review up on Amazon from a ten-year-old reader, which makes me feel very happy. I doubt that he would have been so excited about the book if he couldn't hold it in his hands. :snoopy:

Children's books are a tough category, so I'm not really sure where I'm going to go from here. :Shrug:

I just ordered the paperback from Amazon. It was a little less money than on B&N. Mind if I ask why you don't have any links on your site or here for B&N purchase? I only ask because I surprisingly get a decent amount of ebook sales over there. Also, sometimes the shipping is cheaper than amazon or they offer free shipping for orders over $25.

I know children's books are a tough category but you seem to be doing great!!

And yeah, for some reason my son and my daughter who is 16 will not read on a Kindle. They like to have the book in their hands. ;)

Mclesh

It's too hot
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.storyrhyme.com
I just ordered the paperback from Amazon. It was a little less money than on B&N. Mind if I ask why you don't have any links on your site or here for B&N purchase? I only ask because I surprisingly get a decent amount of ebook sales over there. Also, sometimes the shipping is cheaper than amazon or they offer free shipping for orders over $25.

I know children's books are a tough category but you seem to be doing great!!

And yeah, for some reason my son and my daughter who is 16 will not read on a Kindle. They like to have the book in their hands. ;)

Aww, thank you! I hope your son enjoys it. And thank you for pointing out the missing B&N link on my website. That was just an oversight. When the website was updated, the B&N link hadn't gone live yet.

Currently, I have the ebook enrolled in Kindle Select. I did that to take advantage of the Select programs and borrows. I've found that with my first two books, I've hardly made any sales through B&N. Since Mr. Katz is available in paperback through both Amazon and B&N, and since I figured the ebook wouldn't be as popular anyway, I thought that would be a safe way to go.

The Select program has worked really well for Let Me Get This Off My Chest. I just checked, and I have 12 borrows for this month so far. Of the paperback sales--and I've been selling about 50-90 paperbacks a month--99 percent come from Amazon.

Oh, and the price is lower on Amazon, but that was Amazon's doing, not mine.

How's that for a long answer? :D

Thank you for the head's up about the link!

Celeste Carrara

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.celestecarrara.com
Aww, thank you! I hope your son enjoys it. And thank you for pointing out the missing B&N link on my website. That was just an oversight. When the website was updated, the B&N link hadn't gone live yet.

Currently, I have the ebook enrolled in Kindle Select. I did that to take advantage of the Select programs and borrows. I've found that with my first two books, I've hardly made any sales through B&N. Since Mr. Katz is available in paperback through both Amazon and B&N, and since I figured the ebook wouldn't be as popular anyway, I thought that would be a safe way to go.

The Select program has worked really well for Let Me Get This Off My Chest. I just checked, and I have 12 borrows for this month so far. Of the paperback sales--and I've been selling about 50-90 paperbacks a month--99 percent come from Amazon.

Oh, and the price is lower on Amazon, but that was Amazon's doing, not mine.

How's that for a long answer? :D

Thank you for the head's up about the link!

I love long answers lol ;) Glad I can help with that link to B&N!
I got an email today saying the book will be here Monday! I told my son about it & he's excited to read it. When I told him I ordered it, the first thing he asked was, "It's a real book, right? I don't have to read it on your Kindle?" lol

Mclesh

It's too hot
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.storyrhyme.com
I love long answers lol ;) Glad I can help with that link to B&N!
I got an email today saying the book will be here Monday! I told my son about it & he's excited to read it. When I told him I ordered it, the first thing he asked was, "It's a real book, right? I don't have to read it on your Kindle?" lol

Hahaha. Yes, that confirms everything I've heard. I hope he enjoys it!

Reaction score
I love this thread! Love the titles! Love the cover! Even love your rant about Facebook!

I just ordered the book! Splurged on the paperback because the cover looks so cute and if I like it I hope to pass it on to our school librarian if that's okay! Also -- love Amazon's "no rush" shipping option so I can get a dollar credit towards books!

RLMcKeown thanks so much for the links!

Anyway -- Question - is Mr. Steve your husband? Just curious because I'm delving into the world of publishing because I'm married to a writer (I guess I would be Mr. Steve in this case huh?) and I would love to get to know another husband and wife duo! I do love the term "Creative Partner" and just might have to steal that except for me I might dub it "Non-Creative Partner" since I'm the techie one! I want him to write and I will be takin' care of business!!!

Congrats on the release and future success!

Mclesh

It's too hot
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.storyrhyme.com
I love this thread! Love the titles! Love the cover! Even love your rant about Facebook!

Haha, thank you! I felt a little bad after I posted my rant, but I just had to vent. It helped. :D

I just ordered the book! Splurged on the paperback because the cover looks so cute and if I like it I hope to pass it on to our school librarian if that's okay! Also -- love Amazon's "no rush" shipping option so I can get a dollar credit towards books!
Ahh, thank you! Can I clone you? Because that would be super! :D

Um, no, I don't mind you passing the book on to your school librarian. I LOVE THAT IDEA!!! :D

RLMcKeown thanks so much for the links!
I'm happy that RLMcKeown dressed up my diary!

Anyway -- Question - is Mr. Steve your husband? Just curious because I'm delving into the world of publishing because I'm married to a writer (I guess I would be Mr. Steve in this case huh?) and I would love to get to know another husband and wife duo! I do love the term "Creative Partner" and just might have to steal that except for me I might dub it "Non-Creative Partner" since I'm the techie one! I want him to write and I will be takin' care of business!!!

Congrats on the release and future success!
Yes, Mr. Steve is my creative and life partner. I credit him for the success I've had so far with the first book I self published. Having a good-looking, professionally-designed paperback does seem to open doors. It's so important. We work pretty well together. I only drive him half crazy when I'm being a little too hyper (like this past week). ;)

Feel free to send me a PM! And thank you. :Hug2: