AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Signature Literary Agency (formerly Ellen Pepus L.A.)

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin PurpleLady's Avatar

Signature Literary Agency (formerly Ellen Pepus L.A.)

Has anyone submitted a manuscript to Ellen Pepus of this agency (she was formerly with Graybill & English)? Does anyone have information about the agency? She's on a panel of agents at this year's Maryland Writers' Assoc. writers' conference.
    The sky's the limit.

Print release:Sept.1,'09 Branwyn's Avatar
    Ellen Pepus is the founder and agent at Ellen Pepus Literary Agency. Formerly of Graybill and English, she also has a law degree from George Washington. She is actively seeking new clients in the areas of narrative non-fiction, prescriptive non-fiction, and literary and genre fiction, including mysteries, thrillers, romance, and science fiction and fantasy. In non-fiction, she is particularly interested in history, politics, entertainment, travel, food and cooking, and arts and culture.That's all I found so far....don't know how to get in touch, though.
    The Hanging Tree-WIP
    Harvest Moon-WIP
    myspace.com/elladonna
    The Upside of Karma

figuring it all out The Scribbler's Avatar
    Do you have an address or any other type of contact info for this agency?

I heart Malamutes! :-) JerseyGirl1962's Avatar
    Curiously, I googled her name and came up with a Greg Pepus who lists Ellen Pepus as a "favorite" or something. No complete address, except for Bethesda, MD (which make sense for her going to a Maryland writing event).

Can't find anything else at this time.

Good luck!

~Nancy
    Screw the new blog, I've resurrected my old blog: Writerly Stuff.

I twit, therefore I am?

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. ~Thomas Edison

It took me fifteen years to discover that I had no talent for writing, but I couldn't give it up because by that time I was too famous. ~Robert Benchley

I'll be attending the conference (May 6), so will see what more I can find out about her agency.
    The sky's the limit.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Alas, Purplelady, your followup was lost. Could you repost?
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Who's going for a beer? waylander's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CaoPaux
    Alas, Purplelady, your followup was lost. Could you repost?
    Ah! Memory. I've been away on vacation and I don't remember what I wrote!

I believe that I thanked the lister who sent the link re: Ellen Pepus. Also, may have added that I did NOT interview with her at the MWA's writers' conference. I went with another agent and, as a result, he asked for the first 50-pages of my novel. I am waiting in the wings for a reply. Will probably send a query to Ellen once I get myself in gear again. A full plate leaves little free time. Alas!

Write on!
    The sky's the limit.

Who's going for a beer? waylander's Avatar
    I received a 'dear author' from the Ellen Pepus Agency today. Very fast turnaround on letter, synopsis + 3chs.

practical experience, FTW Toni1953's Avatar
    received a request from Ellen Pepus for a partial. Anyone have any recent dealings with her? she seems reputable.
    Toni
    Repped by Josh Getzler, HSG Literary
    Hey! My cat has his own blog! (Yes, Rocco blogs!) http://www.catsbooksmorecats.blogspot.com
    Out now: CLAWS FOR ALARM, the second Nick and Nora mystery
    coming December 2016: OF CRIME AND CATNIP

Print release:Sept.1,'09 Branwyn's Avatar
    I experienced a rejection. Good Luck Toni!
    The Hanging Tree-WIP
    Harvest Moon-WIP
    myspace.com/elladonna
    The Upside of Karma

practical experience, FTW Just Me 2021's Avatar
    Anyone have any experiences with Ms. Pepus since the last ones mentioned above? I got a request for a partial from her today. Thanks!

Ms. Pepus requested my partial (literary fiction) a few months ago, and then requested the full about 6 weeks later. She had some nice things to say in regards to the partial, and I felt very hopeful.

About two months later, she sent me an email rejection. She didn't offer much in the way of criticism, although she said she "held onto it for awhile because she was intrigued by my writing style." Ultimately, she didn't feel like she could place it with a publisher.

All in all, it was a very professional interaction. I didn't have a lot of info regarding sales from her, since she was just starting out, but the fact that she assisted for Jeff Kleinman, when he was with Graybill and English, led me to believe that she'll be successful.

Good luck with the partial!

Just bumping this thread up in case someone has any info on Ellen Pepus. She just requested a full mss off a partial, and I can't find any sales info on her, though I hope her background at Greybill and English means she has connections established. She's been totally professional so far. Anyone have any other info besides what's on agentquery.com and her website?

I've had several dealings with Ellen, and she is polite and quick to respond. We haven't connected yet, but who knows? Maybe someday.
    Toni
    Hey! My cat has his own blog! (Yes, Rocco blogs!) http://www.catsbooksmorecats.blogspot.com

I just signed with Ellen Pepus.

Her contract looks great, she follows all AAR standards of conduct, and she had a plan for revising and submitting my manuscript ready. She is a lawyer, which should make her contract-savvy, and she has worked with a few best-selling authors while at Greybill & English. She is professional, enthusiastic and warm. I can only say good things about her thus far.

Congratulations! Sounds like she's got some credentials, though I still don't find any sales. Is there any news on that front?

I heart Malamutes! :-) JerseyGirl1962's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RTH View Post
    Congratulations! Sounds like she's got some credentials, though I still don't find any sales. Is there any news on that front?
    Couldn't find anything on any books she's placed. Your best bet may be to send her an email:

ellen@epliterary.com

Good luck!

~Nancy
    Screw the new blog, I've resurrected my old blog: Writerly Stuff.

I twit, therefore I am?

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. ~Thomas Edison

It took me fifteen years to discover that I had no talent for writing, but I couldn't give it up because by that time I was too famous. ~Robert Benchley

[quote=Just Me 2021;1426750]I just signed with Ellen Pepus.[quote]

Great, Ellen seems like a fantastic agent.
    What sort of novel is it?
    Toni

EPL is a new agency. You can contact her if you want to talk to her about sales. I don't want to overstep my boundaries.

Here's an excerpt from her bio for the Southern California Writer's Conference:
    ELLEN PEPUS recently started her own agency after working with Jeff Kleinman at the Graybill and English Literary Agency in Washington, DC. While at Graybill and English she worked with many best-selling authors, including Robert Hicks (Widow of the South), Ron McLarty (The Memory of Running), and Eric Saar and Viveca Novak (Inside the Wire). She has a law degree from George Washington University and extensive editorial and marketing experience. She is actively building her client list in fiction and is looking for talented writers who can create believable characters and page-turning plots, in any genre. She is especially interested in historical fiction, offbeat literary fiction and mysteries. In non-fiction, she loves quirky memoirs, history, and anything about food.

Thanks for asking about my novel. (-: My favorite topic. It's about culture clash. The log line is as follows: A terrorist attack happens on American soil. The book follows the stories of two families - an Afghan American family who is unjustly accused of supporting the terrorist, and a Caucasian family who survived the attack. Conflict between the families escalates into a final crisis, resulting in an act of cooperation.

I'll definitely keep you posted about EPL. As for me, I'm sure I'm going to be deep in revision land for a while so we can get my manuscript ready for submission. (-:
    Last edited by Just Me 2021; 06-28-2007 at 07:30 PM. Reason: Don't want to speak for Ellen myself.

She requested a partial from me about two weeks back.
    One of my Manuscripts has sold!!! Stay tune...
    . http://www.myspace.com/mrsmeager
    Dream big, stay in pursuit, and never settle!

Quote Originally Posted by Just Me 2021 View Post
    Thanks for asking about my novel. (-: My favorite topic. It's about culture clash. The log line is as follows: A terrorist attack happens on American soil. The book follows the stories of two families - an Afghan American family who is unjustly accused of supporting the terrorist, and a Caucasian family who survived the attack. Conflict between the families escalates into a final crisis, resulting in an act of cooperation.

I'll definitely keep you posted about EPL. As for me, I'm sure I'm going to be deep in revision land for a while so we can get my manuscript ready for submission. (-:

Sounds interesting! Best of luck.
    Toni

Quote Originally Posted by Just Me 2021 View Post

This sounds really interesting. I'd definitely pick it up.

Good luck with revisions! The process made me want to tear out my hair from time to time, but it was so worth it. I breathed new life into the characters, and it felt good to reimagine things that I felt were set in stone.

Hope it's the same for you!

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Adding link: http://epliterary.com/
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

In the wilds of Texas. Actually, the liberal oasis of Austin.
    Any updates on this agency, either in terms of sales info or personal experiences?
    Thanks!
    Mark

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast