William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
Bobby Womack, a colorful and highly influential R&B singer-songwriter who influenced artists from the Rolling Stones to Damon Albarn, has died. He was 70.

Womack's publicist Sonya Kolowrat said Friday that the singer had died, but she could provide no other details.

With an incomparable voice few could match, Womack was a stirring singer and guitarist in his own right and a powerful songwriter whose hits like "Across 110th Street," "If You Think You're Lonely Now" and "I Wish He Didn't Trust Me So Much" captured the imagination of future stars in rock `n' roll and R&B.
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_OBIT_BOBBY_WOMACK?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hard times have befallen another Soul Survivor.

Bobby Womack is one of the greatest R n' B vocalists most folks don't know about. He never had a big crossover hit. Never showed up on American Idol. Never was celebrated by the critics and tastemakers the way others are.

But Bobby could SANG. Not "sing." The real OG's know the difference.

I Wish He Didn't Trust Me So Much

Harry Hippie

A Woman's Gotta Have It

If You Think You're Lonely Now

Across 110th Street

For those of you who don't quite get what the big deal about Womack is, I cordially invite you to go listen to some ersatz Robin Thicke "soul" shit as he begs his estranged wife to take his dog ass back or some other plastic poseur.

Another of the real deal, great, original Soul Men has crossed over to that Great Gig in the Sky. R-E-S-P-E-C-T, Mr. Womack.

:Hail:

Magdalen

Petulantly Penitent
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I used to love him, but it's all over now.

RIP

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Rest in Peace, Bobby Womack, great R&B singer.

Every time one of these guys dies I ask myself who will fill their shoes...

Thanks Bobby, for the music.