Blacbird, Check In! Quake/Tsunami/Worried

T Robinson

Born long ago, in a different era
Registered
Reaction score
It is not that far from Anchorage to Seattle. Maybe he was the drone's technical adviser and used the mash for an alibi.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Just caught this thread, about an hour after I found out about the earthquake. The concern is appreciated, but:

This quake occurred ~1000 miles from Anchorage, far out in the nearly uninhabited western Aleutian Islands. We here felt nothing. And, from what I read, the focus of the quake was very deep, which is good, because it meant no seafloor surface rupture that could generate a tsunami.

I have an acquaintance who used to work as a civilian security guard at the westernmost military installation in the U.S., in a small place called Shemya Island, and the personnel there would have felt it purty good.

Our biggest natural hazard here right now is mosquitoes, and they are plenty bad enough.

The real problem for a big quake out along the western Aleutian subduction zone wouldn't be for Anchorage, but could be for Hilo, Hawaii and the exposed parts of the northern California coast, like Crescent City. Both of those locales have suffered significant damage and loss of life by way of tsunami, more than once.

caw

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
Morning has broken, Blacbird has spoken! Praise for the rain. I've never been to Spain. Okay, I'm up way late wrestling with a story and can't remember the lyrics. Good to hear from ya, bird.--s6

Last edited:

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
Just caught this thread, about an hour after I found out about the earthquake. The concern is appreciated, but:

This quake occurred ~1000 miles from Anchorage, far out in the nearly uninhabited western Aleutian Islands. We here felt nothing. And, from what I read, the focus of the quake was very deep, which is good, because it meant no seafloor surface rupture that could generate a tsunami.

I have an acquaintance who used to work as a civilian security guard at the westernmost military installation in the U.S., in a small place called Shemya Island, and the personnel there would have felt it purty good.

Our biggest natural hazard here right now is mosquitoes, and they are plenty bad enough.

The real problem for a big quake out along the western Aleutian subduction zone wouldn't be for Anchorage, but could be for Hilo, Hawaii and the exposed parts of the northern California coast, like Crescent City. Both of those locales have suffered significant damage and loss of life by way of tsunami, more than once.

caw

i ran this through an analytical tool using some of bbird's previous posts as controls, and there is something really, really off in the style and syntax.

this leads me to believe that he did, in fact, perish in the earthquake and his AW account has been taken over by some crazed mountain man who broke into his house for jam and toilet paper.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Glad you're okay, blacbird.

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for letting us know you're okay, blacbird. :)

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
i ran this through an analytical tool using some of bbird's previous posts as controls, and there is something really, really off in the style and syntax.

this leads me to believe that he did, in fact, perish in the earthquake and his AW account has been taken over by some crazed mountain man who broke into his house for jam and toilet paper.

Jam, shit. The guy had some really good smoked salmon.

And a lot of toilet paper.

kaw

Magdalen

Petulantly Penitent
Registered
Reaction score

Blackberry jam?

Jam, shit. The guy had some really good smoked salmon.

And a lot of toilet paper.

kaw

Thanks, I needed that! Really, I couldn't imagine what more could be said after blackie checked in -- I had a chuckle at William's theory and and full throated laugh out loud over that 'kaw' at the end. Love you guys!

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
This is like an Alaskan version of Doctor Who.

(And I regret knowing so little about Alaska, because if I knew anything about it, I'd be filling this comment box with all sorts of fantastic puns. Juneau I would.)

T Robinson

Born long ago, in a different era
Registered
Reaction score
Geography was not my major. Can you tell? All I know is it is a long way from Georgia. From here, they seem relatively close.

We're just glad you're okay. I still have not seen anything from Kuwi. Did he make it off that mountain?

Last edited: