The AW Amazon Store
Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Pronghorn Press

practical experience, FTW Jassack's Avatar

Pronghorn Press

Is anyone familiar with Pronghorn Press?
    http://pronghornpress.org

Covers look nice and they seem to have a good number of authors.
    They do, however, request a "target market and brief marketing plan" with submissions.

No, I haven't submitted anything to them.
    Last edited by Jassack; 06-19-2014 at 03:38 AM.

Most of their covers look good. I haven't looked at sample texts yet, but they seem to be a very niche market. Amazon shows ten pages of Pronghorn Press books, but only the first page has sales ranks under 100K. The rest run from 300K to over 1,000,000. Not great sales estimates for Amazon - maybe Pronghorn is selling better, elsewhere?

They can ask for a marketing plan, but I'd want to know what *they* are doing to sell books.

Blog: Blue Night
    Art and jewelry online at iCraft

Just the facts, please
    They have an "authors' services" page: http://pronghornpress.org/authors-services/

practical experience, FTW Jassack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Filigree View Post
    They can ask for a marketing plan, but I'd want to know what *they* are doing to sell books.
    According to their blog, not much. Unless I missed something.

http://pronghornpressaudio.com/blog/
    "Well, that seems to be the end of this mini course of self publishing. I wish I had a solid multi-step program you can follow to success but, unfortunately for all of us, it just doesnít work that way. Like the rest of us, you will just have to step out onto the marketing path and see what you can learn. Work hard and youíll find a path that works for you book! And donít forget to enjoy the trip!"

I cringed a little when I read that, and saw the Author Services section.

Tiny publishers with a very broad genre catalog run the risk of not being able to effectively any of them. The contacts needed to market cowboy poetry, erotica, and mysteries are not the same. And they are placing screenplays, too? Sigh.

They might be a great place for the right author who already has a great platform. But in that case, there are stronger, more well-established publishers with better marketing abilities. Pronghorn has to offer solid reasons for authors to choose them.

They've been around since 1999, so they are unlikely to change now.
    Last edited by Filigree; 06-19-2014 at 07:52 AM.

Blog: Blue Night
    Art and jewelry online at iCraft