• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

YouWriteOn.com / New Generation Publishing / Legend Press

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Um, er, yipe. I understand the UK has different views on things publishing, but I've got conflicts of interest screaming in both ears. And I'm blind from reading some of the excerpts.

Hopefully I'll recover by the time they post the fees for the POD aspect.

JerseyGirl1962

I heart Malamutes! :-)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
CaoPaux said:
Um, er, yipe. I understand the UK has different views on things publishing, but I've got conflicts of interest screaming in both ears. And I'm blind from reading some of the excerpts.

Hopefully I'll recover by the time they post the fees for the POD aspect.

Thanks, Caopaux. I thought so. Someone started a similar thread in the Novels section of the forum. I found a website quoting the guy with the POD thing...and it didn't smell right to me. The website I found the quote on was from an internet provider or servicer or something (Zarr International, I believe).

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who felt that way.

~Nancy

RJLeahy

Banned
Reaction score
youwriteon.com

Anyone know anything about this site? They claim that if your manuscript is chosen (and there is a complicated system for that) your work will be reviewed and offered representation by a major agent. They mention several by name, including Curtis Brown.

Popeyesays

Now departed. Rest in peace, Scott, from all of us
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
The URL would be a big help.

Regards,
Scott

Popeyesays

Now departed. Rest in peace, Scott, from all of us
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
It says the book they choose will be published by youwriteon.com and "will be available through" B&N, etc. they probably send it to lulu.com or some other publsher, but it will never hit bookshelves anywhere.

http://www.youwriteon.com/

Regards,
Scott

Tsu Dho Nimh

Registered
Reaction score
I tried it - wasn't impressed

You have to "complete" three reviews to get one. Unfortunately, their idea of a review is to ask you for a written review, followed by a 1 to 5 ranking of the book in several areas, followed by a multiple choice quiz about some details. You MUST PASS the test or the author doesn't see the review.

When you are presented with a book that is painful to read past the first paragraph, with the details obscured by poor writing, it's bloody impossible to pass the test.

YouWriteOn

Registered
Reaction score
Greetings from YouWriteOn

Hello, thanks for the feedback, we hope we've come on a little since we started in 2006. Below is our 2008 update of how the site works:

Editors for Curtis Brown, Orion and Bloomsbury - Each month the Top Five Opening Chapters in our peer review charts receive a free critique from editors for leading agents and publishers including Orion, Curtis Brown and Bloomsbury, who collectively represent authors like Rowling, Rankin, etc

The Random House House Group, publisher of writers such as John Grisham, read and comment on the YouWriteOn Top Ten each month between April and September 2008

The YouWriteOn site premise is fairly straightforward and devised by professional authors: you upload opening chapers or short stories and review and rate another member's story. Each review you complete earns you one back, and after five reviews you enter the YouWriteOn Top Ten charts. Successes for our first inaugural 'Book of the Year Awards' in 2006 include Caligula by Doug Jackson, which will be published in July 2008 in a six-figure deal with Random House; Johnny Mackintosh and the Spirit of London by Keith Mansfield which achieved a 3 book deal with Quercus, publisher of books such as The Tenderness of Wolves; and Bufflehead Sisters by Patricia J. DeLois, published by us through POD and named book of the year in her home state of Maine, currently finalising a 2 book deal with a leading publisher.

Thanks for your feedback, and we welcome anyone who may wish to take a look.

Last edited:

YouWriteOn

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, Birol, and it is nice to be an 'esteemed new member', though not as pleasant as being a 'super moderator' I suspect.

We accept constructive comments, and in the same spirit, I'm glad that AbsoluteWrite encourages responses and all those trying to assist writers as above.

After a positive article in Writers Digest about YouWriteOn, we've welcomed many U.S. members. I understand several large quantities of our British tea were poured away in Boston at one time, a beverage dear to our heart :e2coffee:

Ted

Below is an early news items from the BBC News Site and Bookseller.com for your interest, or alternatively enjoy the tea above!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/4810398.stm

http://www.thebookseller.com/index.cfm?pid=85&did=2236&bkblog_Id=28084&storyId=1586&status=1

Last edited:

FergieC

Bored at work fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathferguson.co.uk
I've been using YWO for a while now, and what Tsu says isn't quite true. It's only one review you have to do to get one back (ocassionally you strike lucky and get two for one). You do have to pass a test, but that's to prove you've actually read the chapters, which seems fair. After all, would you really want to recieve a review from someone who hadn't bothered to read your work? I've had loads of reviews now, and they've been mostly very high quality, really helpful ones, which have been invaluable in re-writing. If you get a piece that's unreadable, or just not your type of thing, you don't have to review it.

The rankings go towards chart placings, and the highest ranked 5 each month go forward for a critique by a professional - either an agent or professional writer (and they're pretty big names, you can see their critiques on the site). There's no guarantee of being 'offered representation', obviously. But you get the chance of being seriously considered by big guys like Curtis Brown on top of some fantastic feedback.

So all in all, I've found it to be a great site - and it's all free - so no one has anything to lose by giving it a shot, but potentially a lot to gain.

Last edited:

YouWriteOn

Registered
Reaction score
What we're finding is that the majority of those who rewrite based on collective feedback are higher rated on the site, as reviews help point writers to what works well in their writing and what may need developing. Senior Editor Sara O'Keefe from Orion, who publish bestselling writers such as Ian Rankin, has commented on the following on YouWriteOn, which I'm sure applies equally to all review sites with a good membership and literary professionals: "On YouWriteOn, the standard of work is much higher than on the slush pile. A piece of work has been through its paces several times. It may have been seen by an editor and rewritten. It's an evolutionary process; writing takes commitment and hard work." This is mainly down to the hard work of site writers who take time to develop their writing, and feedback on the writing of others.

There's some great stories on site, for those that may be interested in viewing our Best Sellers Chart and Top Ten. We welcome all members who wish to submit for feedback.

http://www.youwriteon.com/charts/best-sellers.aspx?view=genre

Last edited:

YouWriteOn

Registered
Reaction score
By the way, who's winning American Idol?

Last edited:

Boleto

Getting it writeon

Tsu Dho Nimh said:
You have to "complete" three reviews to get one. Unfortunately, their idea of a review is to ask you for a written review, followed by a 1 to 5 ranking of the book in several areas, followed by a multiple choice quiz about some details. You MUST PASS the test or the author doesn't see the review.

When you are presented with a book that is painful to read past the first paragraph, with the details obscured by poor writing, it's bloody impossible to pass the test.

I've been using Youwriteon for several months and I have found it a real boon. I can't get to a writers' workshop so the well moderated online review site is the next best thing (better in some ways) and Youwriteon is the best available by far. Sure, you have to look over some dross, but what workshop doesn't. Sure, you get some lazy reviews, but you just have to live with them. There are enough valuable comments and serious, helpful feedback to make it worthwhile and a lot of the postings are well worth reading. The fact that it's 'free' is a major benefit as well (free that is except for the time spent reviewing and it's one for one, not three for one). The involvement of the Arts Council is crucial because I don't think the site has any commercial sponsorship and it isn't swamped with tacky adverts.

I don't know about the publishing side - it hasn't been launched yet and no details are available - but anything that tries to break the vicious cycle of [no agent] = [no publisher] = [no agent] is fine by me.

Looking over these postings I wonder who has actually used the site, or even visited it. It is also interesting to see the youwrite on guys getting some words in themselves.

Rolling Thunder

Registered
Reaction score
Boleto said:
Looking over these postings I wonder who has actually used the site, or even visited it. It is also interesting to see the youwrite on guys getting some words in themselves.

I'm sure you'll find many here will visit, I did. But as far as using the service, well, it's just not for me. Some might find it usefull but you're gonna see alot of suspicion at first.

No offense, but when a thread like this shows up with brand new people in tow immediately plugging it in their very first posts, well....you get the idea. Don't try too hard to push it. As you know from your reference to the 'vicious cycle' writers can be bitter creatures.

With Respect,
RT

endless rewrite

Registered
Reaction score
'Funded by the Art Council' tells me that this is legit and that nobody is out to make money - Art Council projects rarely do. It is up to the individual to decide what use it can be. Maybe there is so much suspicion because other countries don't have public funded bodies such as the Arts Council spending huge amounts on the arts and developing artists who are not yet established.

http://www.artscouncil.org.uk/

madcow

:) Hi All

As a newbie here and a member of both sites, what's suggested above seems fair to me. I've found YouWriteOn.com helpful and it looks like AbsoluteWrite has much to offer too.

I don't see there's any competition here. Some people will prefer one site over the other and that's up to them but it shouldn't mean that site is painted black - it's surely a matter of preference. I'm sure there are many who will gain something from being members of both sites.

Anything that can help writers develop and get some recognition has got to be a good thing.

Angelinity

absent
Registered
Reaction score
Boleto said:

okays, since you asked --

i was curious, so i joined about a month ago, and posted a chapter. got one review, very helpful - but that's it.

meanwhile, i have reviewed five works -- and these are between 6000 and 10,000 words, so it's not a hit-and-run job.

the minimum limit for posting a work for critique is 6000 words. that means two chapters, and if each runs over 4000, it all adds up to nearly 10K -- each review i did took me at least two hours.

just wondering- would more people take the time to review, if writers could post shorter works?

i'll give it a lil more time, see what comes of it ;)

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
YouWriteOn said:
About YouWriteOn - details about us and our affiliated leading literary agents.

Over 1,500 members have exchanged over 8,000 reviews since January 2006 and the full 'thank-you' column in our forum indicates how constructive members have been in helping other new writers to develop.

So has anyone yet received an offer of representation from posting their work at this site? It has been running 9 months, that should be time enough for someone's work to be recognised.

YouWriteOn

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Angelinity, Waylander and RT - thanks for your response.

I'm glad the review you received was positive, Angelinity and hope the others you will receive will be. The system has you assigned to be read at present. The average amount of reviews, looking at a recent top five was between 7 and 17 reviews for each in a month.

Ted

Last edited:

YouWriteOn

Registered
Reaction score
Update on our inaugural YouWriteOn Book of the Year Awards 2007:

from our inaugural Book Awards in 2007 include:

Finalist Doug Jackson with Caligula, achieving a six figure deal with Random House, due to be published in July. He kindly credited members and a critique from one of our editors who works for Orion as helping him achieve his publishing success

Johnny Mackintosh and the Spirit of London by Keith Mansfield which achieved a 3 book deal with Quercus, publisher of books such as The Tenderness of Wolves

Children's book winner Bob Burke's The Third Pig Detective Agency, formerly picked up by Scott Pack at the Friday Project, and now with Harper Collins, publisher of writers such as Ruth Rendell, also crediting members for helping him to develop his story

Bufflehead Sisters by Patricia J. DeLois which we published ourselves, now with a literary agent and discussing a 2 book deal with a leading publisher

Finalist Bob Lock's Flames of Herakleitos, which we were informed was in the running for the Welsh Book of the Year

Last edited:

FergieC

Bored at work fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathferguson.co.uk
I also believe that, particularly where speculation is general, without direct knowledge, involvement or experience of an organisation, that organisers should be invited to give more information for a fair balance.

I'd agree with that.

The bewares are incredibly useful for writers in bringing scams and dodgy agents to everyone's attention. But if those threads start being used just for people to ***** cynically about anything new without even trying it, the whole process starts to become far less useful to everyone concerned.

Yes, there are scams out there, but there are also genuinely good resources that are trying to help new writers. It can be hard to tell sometimes, but a little digging and giving people the right to reply could really help in that respect - which would be of far more benefit to everyone than threads full of ill-informed speculation.