R.I.P., Daniel Keyes

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnetowntoday.blogspot.com
I've to admit, I can't right off think of any other works by Keyes -- but if you have to be known for one story, that's a great one. People will be reading "Flowers For Algernon" a hundred years from now.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Algernon was amazing. The movie could have been better.

When I was in 7th grade, my science project was putting together a cat skeleton (you don't want to know the details). I named him Algernon after the book.

RIP, sir.

kobold

bedeviled
Registered
Reaction score
It was so clear that Keyes had actually studied the concepts before writing the story. Intelligent, original, engaging; from the heart. To anyone who has yet to read FLOWERS FOR ALGERNON-- go now.

Cliff Robertson deserved the Oscar for his performance in 'Charly' (1968). But I am a little surprised the movie hasn't been remade (or maybe it has, and I just haven't heard).

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
The original short story is a stunning classic. The novel, basically an expansion of the story, struck me as diluted rather than extended. I know Keyes wrote another novel titled The Touch, but I've not read it. But "Algernon" is without question one of the most powerful speculative fiction short stories of all time.

caw