Camp JulyNoWriMo!

Ramshackle

*scribbles*
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badmenagerie.com
Starting this thread a little early because of camp. Anybody else planning to take part?

I know back in April a few of us attempted to get in a cabin together... and a shiny new email informs me that we can now create private cabins. :snoopy:

Anybody up for trying it out and creating an AWer cabin (or two)?

ETA:
Seems we've got a fair few people interested in joining an AWer cabin. If you're interested, say so in the thread and I'll add you to the list. If you could rep/PM me or Lillith1991 your Nano username when you do so it would be awesome. Around the 28th, we'll see how many people we have, split accordingly and send out invites (to ensure we don't get one full cabin and one person all on their lonesome).

Thanks Lillith! <3

AWers currently wanting a cabin:
Lillith1991
CoffeeBeans

JacobS.Tucker
Jassack
bdwilson
JulianneQJohnson
tjwriter
xXVampyrePrincessXx
Chasing the Horizon

sassandgroove
Julie.G.
measure_in_love

whitegirlbkcvrs
Starstryder
chompers

mrsmig
Devil Ledbetter
Forbidden Snowflake

chocowrites

(I've only added those who have explicitly indicated they wanted to be in a cabin... there are a few others who've posted that I think might, just let me know) :)

UPDATE:

We've heard from a few people lamenting that they've joined us too late to grab a spot in the cabin. There are currently two cabins and the second still has space! CoffeeBeans has kindly set the second up, so if you want a spot be sure to let Coffee know via rep or posting in this thread (Coffee will need your NaNo username and you must have created your project on the Camp NaNo site).

Thanks Coffee! <3

Last edited:

Lillith1991

The Hobbit-Vulcan hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
eclecticlittledork.wordpress.com
I plan to! An AW cabin would be nice. I had had a novella on the docket for camp, but I'm thinking of putting another of my ideas onto the docket instead. I've got some fully formed ideas bouncing around in my head at the moment.

amillimiles

Registered
Reaction score
Hi! I'm relatively new, so if you'll pardon the question -- what's a camp/cabin? I've done NaNoWriMo, but I don't know what these offshoots are.

Ramshackle

*scribbles*
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badmenagerie.com
Hi! I'm relatively new, so if you'll pardon the question -- what's a camp/cabin? I've done NaNoWriMo, but I don't know what these offshoots are.

Hi Snowbeamer (and welcome).

The camp is essentially NaNoWriMo but at a different time of year (http://campnanowrimo.org/). It takes place in April and July, and there's a bit more emphasis on picking your own wordcount, rather than the typical 50k.

Writers taking part can opt to be sorted into a cabin of (if I recall correctly) up to twelve other writers to chat with over the course of the month. It's sort of like a private Twitter feed between a small group.

Previously cabins were randomly assigned... you could ask to be put with friends or people of a similar age/writing the same genre, but it wasn't guaranteed. This is the first time it looks as though you can build your own cabin from scratch. :D

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
I had to sit out April for editing reasons, but I'm totally in, with a SNI for July!

Ramshackle

*scribbles*
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badmenagerie.com
Woot! I'm faster than a mustachioed hedgehog! :D but you're much more adorable.

Hm. Maybe if I shave it off, I'll be faster. All streamlined and speedy, like a swimmer.

:tongue

*ponders*

*realises pondering will be more difficult without facial hair to stroke*

:Huh:

amillimiles

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Snowbeamer (and welcome).

The camp is essentially NaNoWriMo but at a different time of year (http://campnanowrimo.org/). It takes place in April and July, and there's a bit more emphasis on picking your own wordcount, rather than the typical 50k.

Writers taking part can opt to be sorted into a cabin of (if I recall correctly) up to twelve other writers to chat with over the course of the month. It's sort of like a private Twitter feed between a small group.

Previously cabins were randomly assigned... you could ask to be put with friends or people of a similar age/writing the same genre, but it wasn't guaranteed. This is the first time it looks as though you can build your own cabin from scratch. :D

Thank you for the answer. July's an exceptionally bad month for me because I start work on June 30th ... I suppose that's the never-ending struggle for aspiring writers, eh? Balancing real life with the dream life. ;)

Good luck!

bdwilson

Dedicated Lurker
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bdwilson.ca
I had been planning to skip both camps this year, but then someone on another board pointed out that editing is one of the alternative uses for camp.

I'd been hoping to get some editing done anyway, so I might sign up for July and use it as motivation. Assuming I can get my brain over the "NaNo = New Words" definition it appears to be stuck on :)

JacobS.Tucker

A Wannabe F. Scott Fitzgerald
Registered
Reaction score
Website
parisandprose.com
I tried to write for the AprilWriMo, but unfortunately, I got back from Paris the DAY BEFORE, without any planning done or what have you. So I failed.

But for the JulyNoWriMo, I am stoked. I've got all of my stuff planned, I've got all the ideas set out and ready to be written and I'm officially glad to say I will take part :)

KateSmash

this was a triumph
Registered
Reaction score
I had waffled about it, but then my husband just dropped a massive SNI on my head that I have to do right now. So I'm totally in.

Ramshackle

*scribbles*
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badmenagerie.com
I made a private cabin, so anyone wanting an invite just let me know before cabins are assigned.

I've created one too but can uncreate if need be. Definitely want in an AWer one. :)

Shall we first come first served or wait a few days to see how many takers (to check we don't have one full cabin and one with one person)?

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
I vote we wait until we get a good number. We have some time, and this way we can all have AW cabins :D

Lillith1991

The Hobbit-Vulcan hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
eclecticlittledork.wordpress.com
I've created one too but can uncreate if need be. Definitely want in an AWer one. :)

Shall we first come first served or wait a few days to see how many takers (to check we don't have one full cabin and one with one person)?

I agree with coffee, waiting for a little while shouldn't hurt. Cabins won't start being assigned for a week. Maybe by then we will have a rough estimate of cabins needed.

JacobS.Tucker

A Wannabe F. Scott Fitzgerald
Registered
Reaction score
Website
parisandprose.com
So why don't we make a list of the people on this forum who said they would like to join a cabin? That way we know a total amount of people thus far and then send them messages asking if they still want to join. That way we can have people who have actually committed.

Ramshackle

*scribbles*
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badmenagerie.com
So why don't we make a list of the people on this forum who said they would like to join a cabin? That way we know a total amount of people thus far and then send them messages asking if they still want to join. That way we can have people who have actually committed.

That's the plan. :)

I'm going to edit the initial post for those who say they're interested in joining a cabin. List it all up and such as suggested. Then around the 28th, a couple of days before it all kicks off, we can pop out some invites.

ETA:
Done!

Not wanting to make assumptions, I've only listed people that have said yes they want to join a cabin. Let me know if you've already posted and want to be included!

Last edited: