AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: [Publisher] Creativia

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

[Publisher] Creativia

Has anyone had any experience with Creativia or heard anything about them, good or bad? They have approached me to e-publish my work.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Re: Creativia

Yes. That's the publisher.

Write. Write. Writey Write Write. mrsmig's Avatar
    They are an "Amazon exclusive" publisher - meaning your book won't be available anywhere else.

And then there's this:

"Creativia operates on a revenue-based model, meaning that we deduct a percentage of book profits to cover our expenses. On average, our authors earn 30-50% of eBook list prices and 15-25% of the paperback list prices, depending on pricing, form of payment and place of sale."

Covers range from pretty good to pretty awful. A glance at the reviews for a random couple of the titles on Amazon show complaints about both the writing and editing.

KINGLET: Now available from Fiery Seas Publishing: Amazon Barnes & Noble iBooks Kobo
    FISKUR: Now available from Fiery Seas Publishing: Amazon Barnes & Noble iBooks Kobo
    STONEKING: Releasing February 20, 2018 from Fiery Seas Publishing

My Website:
    www.donnamigliaccio.com

And the occasional Tweet.

1. They approached you. Not to rain on parades or anything, but that usually doesn't happen with strong, reputable publishers - unless you've won some major writing award or come to public notice, somehow.

2. Their terms are less than desirable, to put it mildly.

Caveat Emptor, with this one. If I were judging between it and Kindle, I'd just publish directly through Amazon.

This M/M space opera
    Blog: Blue Night
    Art and jewelry online at Etsy.

Thanks

Thanks for the input. I only considered them because my sales on Amazon are virtually nonexistent. I'm not good at doing the marketing myself. I think you're right, though. I should probably avoid them.

Tip: if you type in the publisher name into one search box at www.salesrankexpress.com, you'll see a snapshot of that publisher's Amazon sales ranks, arranged from best to worst.

It's not perfect. SalesRankExpress isn't accurate for books with high sales volume. But it is fairly good at showing publishers with low-selling books on Amazon. If any one publisher has a string of books with a one million sales rank or over, you can guess they're not selling well on Amazon, at least.

This M/M space opera
    Blog: Blue Night
    Art and jewelry online at Etsy.

Wilde about Oscar aliceshortcake's Avatar
    This struck me as being a bit odd:

Screen adaptations of Creativia books
    We're happy to announce that in May 2014, Creativia Publishing signed a Co-Marketing agreement with ThunderBall Films. Selected Creativia books and novels will be adapted into film projects worldwide, in association with ThunderBall producing. This page will be updated with more information about the upcoming movie projects.

UPDATE 6.6.2014
    We're glad to announce that ThunderBall has optioned the Skullenia novels by Tony Lewis and Dracula's Demeter by Doug Lamoreux. The films will be produced by ThunderBall Films / ThunderMania Productions (UK). Brian L. Porter will be working as co-producer and adapt the novels into screenplays.
    http://www.creativia.org/creativia-in-movies.html
    Clicking "New Films" on the Thunderball Films website brings up a page of posters - well, most of them are book covers. In addition to adapting the Creativa publications mentioned above Mr Porter is also the author or co-author of no less than six books waiting to be made into Thunderball films:

http://www.thunderballfilms.com/new2...egory=newfilms

One has to wonder who's financing these films and whether any of them will actually be made.

Such a nasty woman SuperModerator Old Hack's Avatar
    I have not been able to verify this but I've been advised that Creativia is hoping to republish a book which was previously published, and has told the author that they will be reusing the original cover for the book. This is apparently acceptable because the original publisher has closed down, and so there is no issue with rights there.

They might like to ask the artist involved about the rights issue. Meanwhile, I'm boggling.

Wilde about Oscar aliceshortcake's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Hack View Post
    Meanwhile, I'm boggling.
    So am I. Let's boggle together!

Learning to read more, post less JustSarah's Avatar
    I just got contacted on there for one of my own books. I thought it was strange, as I only self-publish a poetry chapbook.

The fact that they take any genre raised some eye brows to me, as poetry and prose are way different markets.
    Beyond The Dreamer's Edge -- Complete
    Simply Pace -- Complete
    The Incarnations Of Hemato Tomato And Anna-Marie -- Complete -- LitReads Sticker
    Meadow Of Gold -- Archival
    The Mortal Avatar -- Complete
    O Raphael -- W.I.P