Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Writeson

adult content in a childish manner
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joewriteson.com
I was very very lucky, I did not follow any of the 'rules' of submission, I wrote a 'pitch' that I thought that I would read if it dropped on my desk,
I ended up in the wonderful position of having two publishers vying for the opportunity to publish my first work.
I did some rooting around and ended up choosing the smaller of the two as they seemed a lot more 'goshdarn downhome and friendly'
I signed a two book deal and the process began, as a new author I accepted all of their critiques and editing suggestions without question, I did not agree with them all but I was impatient, that is just me, I have been in the oil and gas business for years and have a very 'get it done' attitude, I wanted to see my work in print.
The final draft was ready, proofed and approved, whoopeedoooo let's go errrrrr not quite...after waiting for four weeks for a sample print I received instead...

Dear Sir, in retrospect, your novel is not quite what we are looking for at this point in time, we wish you all the yada yada yada...

They would not respond to any further correspondence. Had I been too aggressive or a pest, I do not know because they would not reply.

So rejection in this instance was even harder to take because the implication was that I was up and running. I had stopped sending out submissions the minute I signed the contract. I contacted the second publisher again but their schedule was full and they were not taking on any more new authors until further notice.

So what can you do?

Back to square one, start over again, lessons learned ... and at the end of the day don't beat yourself up, poo poos occur and once poo'ed there is little you can do about but flush and move on ... got to be said though I was thoroughly pissed off at the time I wasted ...

Joe

WriterTrek

Boldy Writing
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't gone through the process myself, so I might not have a complete understanding of how it works...

...but I thought that once you 'signed the deal' that you were set. I assumed it was an agreement that both sides had to honor.

Good info for me at least, though I feel your pain. Any chance the other publisher (that you didn't pick) might still be interested?

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I was very very lucky, I did not follow any of the 'rules' of submission, I wrote a 'pitch' that I thought that I would read if it dropped on my desk,
I ended up in the wonderful position of having two publishers vying for the opportunity to publish my first work.
I did some rooting around and ended up choosing the smaller of the two as they seemed a lot more 'goshdarn downhome and friendly'
I signed a two book deal and the process began, as a new author I accepted all of their critiques and editing suggestions without question, I did not agree with them all but I was impatient, that is just me, I have been in the oil and gas business for years and have a very 'get it done' attitude, I wanted to see my work in print.
The final draft was ready, proofed and approved, whoopeedoooo let's go errrrrr not quite...after waiting for four weeks for a sample print I received instead...

Dear Sir, in retrospect, your novel is not quite what we are looking for at this point in time, we wish you all the yada yada yada...

They would not respond to any further correspondence. Had I been too aggressive or a pest, I do not know because they would not reply.

So rejection in this instance was even harder to take because the implication was that I was up and running. I had stopped sending out submissions the minute I signed the contract. I contacted the second publisher again but their schedule was full and they were not taking on any more new authors until further notice.

So what can you do?

Back to square one, start over again, lessons learned ... and at the end of the day don't beat yourself up, poo poos occur and once poo'ed there is little you can do about but flush and move on ... got to be said though I was thoroughly pissed off at the time I wasted ...

Joe

Assuming this is a legitimate publisher, you apparently possess a contract. What's in it? Is there a kill fee? Does it say they (or you) can back out without penalty? If not, call them on it.

ShaunHorton

AW's resident Velociraptor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shaunhorton.blogspot.com
In addition to the suggestions above of taking the contract and finding a lawyer, the cynic in me also thinks it might be a good idea to keep an eye on the publisher that "changed their mind" and see if they release any new books in the meantime which read suspiciously like your edited manuscript under someone else's name. It's just incredibly suspicious to me that they would go to all the trouble of editing your piece to the point of completion just to turn it back to you.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What a disappointment, Joe. So sorry.

There's a forum here called "Bewares, Recommendations & Background Check" where publishers, agents and other entities are discussed and dissected. You might check to see if your former publisher has a thread there - if there isn't, start one. Naming the publisher and relating your experience might serve as a cautionary tale to other writers.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I guarantee there's a clause in the contract that says something like, "Upon completion of an acceptable book". I've never, ever seen a contract that didn't have some version of this. It's always there because it protects the publisher from having to release a book they really don't like. It means purely and simply that if the publisher doesn't like the final product, they do not have to publish it.

But was there an advance? If not, neither of these publishers were very good. And why would a publisher sign a contract before seeing the final draft from a new writer?

In any event, every book publishing contract has some version of the clause that says they have to find the final product acceptable. Even Joan Collins ran into this problem, though she got to keep the advance.

Cochinay

Registered
Reaction score
After Acceptance

I'd move on if it were me. That clause is likely there, and if it isn't that says even more about the publisher. And where does legal action get you--and what damage could you ever prove, and at what cost to your image and all else. I'd move on.

Moonchild

I write fluff and that's OK.
Registered
Reaction score
Holy crap, how incredibly frustrating! I'm so sorry to hear! :(

I'll echo what others have said: Double-check your contract and maybe get legal advice.

And start re-submitting right away!

TheThingsSheWrote

Registered
Reaction score
Oh gosh, that is awful. I am sorry you had to go through all that and put in so much more work for them to just eventually drop you. Keep your chin up!

Jerboa

frelled
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ejtett.weebly.com
Yeah, what everybody's saying. Your contract must say something?

I had something similar happen recently, but it was for a short story antho. Got told I was definitely in. Then edits arrived - no contract. Fine, I thought, I know the guy, I'll do the edits and I'm sure the contract will arrive soon. I did edits. Then, more edits came in, ones that I really didn't agree with, so I pulled out. My story was then rewritten without my permission. As I say, I know the guy so it was sorted amicably and I'm sure it was a misunderstanding. But still.

Status
Not open for further replies.