Game: How well do you know your Main Villain?

KateSmash

this was a triumph
Registered
Reaction score
Question: how good of a drinking buddy would your villain make?

A terrible one. Lucent rarely drinks alcohol, and never in public. He'd be the biggest, wettest wet blanket.

Everyone's afraid of something. Spiders. Heights. Fractals (don't laugh, I know someone with this). What's your villain's fear?

Blinkk

Searching for dragons
Registered
Reaction score
The woman he loves is his Achilles heel. Their cultures do not allow for these two to love each other, so they became pariahs to pursue each other. His biggest fear is losing her because he left everything to be with her. If she left, he would not be able to return to his culture. His family would not take him back, his society would not take him back. He pursued something forbidden.

It really sucks that the MC accidentally killed her in the first chapter.

What's your villain's preferred method of attack? Are they trained with a weapon? Do they use magic? Or maybe they're just a regular person whose really good at manipulating people.

Engliman

In transatlantic accent hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Ooh, fun thread.

Other than using a knife at the end of the attack, I'd say his preferred method is the long psychological game he likes to play, slowly building the terror in his victims before finally going in for the kill.

What, if any, trait makes your villain potentially redeemable?

Grayson Moon

Registered
Reaction score
It really sucks that the MC accidentally killed her in the first chapter.

(For some reason, I found that thing about your MC accidentally killing his love sort of funny. Not the fact that she dies... but the fact that you stated it so bluntly after explaining his fear of losing her.)

What, if any, trait makes your villain potentially redeemable?

Probably because he doesn't enjoy killing, he just wants people to respect him and follow his orders. Of course, he'll go to the lengths of torture to ensure this... so I wouldn't say he's all that "redeemable".

What's your villain's favorite board game (one involving strategy, money, other)?

Last edited:

neandermagnon

Nolite timere, consilium callidum habeo!
Registered
Reaction score
Chess. He's very good at it.

Who or what would your villain dress as for Halloween?

He has no idea about Halloween seeing as he lived 40,000 years ago, however his tribe has a connection with wolves and he and the people he favours in his tribe dress up as wolves and he wears a wolf pelt with the skull (minus the mandible) still attached and using chalk and dark pigments he makes up his face to look like a wolf. In other words if you were to get him in a time machine and take him on a halloween thingy, he could go just as he is - a palaeolithic wolf-man :greenie

Does your villain play any musical instrument? If so which one(s) and are they proficient at it?

Emermouse

Registered
Reaction score
My villain doesn't play any music instrument. Until he met his wife, he generally found most music as too overpowering. His wife was a pianist and through her, he came to gain some appreciation for music, especially for Chopin because she was fond of it. But once she died of cancer, he hardened his heart. He hates humans, believes that few pretty pictures/songs doesn't detract from the fact that they are a blight on the planet and must be destroyed for the good of everyone else.

Is there any action your villain would not do to advance his/her goals? Like do they draw the line at sleeping with someone in order to gain power/access and advance their own agenda? Or no matter what horrible stuff they do, do they refuse to kill children or animals, even if they have no qualms about killing anything or anyone else?

Grayson Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Is there any action your villain would not do to advance his/her goals? Like do they draw the line at sleeping with someone in order to gain power/access and advance their own agenda? Or no matter what horrible stuff they do, do they refuse to kill children or animals, even if they have no qualms about killing anything or anyone else?

Since Roy is a teenager (17) I'm sure he has some setbacks as to how far he's willing to go. I mean, sure. He manipulates, tortures, and even kills if it means that he's in control. But sleeping with someone? *Snicker* Why don't we just ask him?

Me: Roy, I have a question for you.

Roy: Go back into the hole you crawled out of, Grayson. I'm not in the mood.

Me: Don't worry. *snicker* It won't take long.

Roy: Fine. Just make it fast, I'm interrogating a weevsel at the moment. *squeals in the background*

Me: Roy! Drop the half-weasel half-weevil right now!

*Roy drops the weevsel*

Me: Alright, with that out of the way... would you sleep with someone in order to gain power?

Roy: Grayson, do you enjoy being set on fire?

Me: From the look on your face, I'm guessing that's a no?

Roy: I think you do. Let's test my theory.

Me: I'M SORRY! IT WAS EMERMOUSE! DON'T TORCH ME!

What is your villain's favorite candy (for Halloween's sake)?

flarue

Dreaming of Waltzes & Fantasy Lands
Registered
Reaction score
What is your villain's favorite candy (for Halloween's sake)?

He enjoys stick candy because he ate it quite a bit in his youth...many, many years ago. Anything made of honey will also satisfy his sweet tooth, or M&Ms, the latter of which he keeps a jar of on his desk.

Does your villain have any heroes or people that they look up to?

Last edited:

flarue

Registered
Reaction score
Resurrecting the thread because our villains need more love, right? :greenie

Does your villain have any heroes or people that they look up to?

He looks up to various people who have made great breakthroughs in the field of Medicine.

What is on the wall in your villain's bedroom?

JGRouse

Registered
Reaction score
What is on the wall in your villain's bedroom?

A painting of Cleopatra sitting on the throne of Isis with the eye of Horace looking down from a burning sky. It is the religious image from the Order of Cleopatra, a banned secret society of woman who trained in the arts of seduction and statecraft to gain political power.

Has your villain ever cried?

pbandj

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, she has. Openly does so in front of her inner circle. At times she uses it as a manipulation tactic.

Is there anything about your villain that makes them a (at least somewhat) sympathetic character?

Twick

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, she has. Openly does so in front of her inner circle. At times she uses it as a manipulation tactic.

Is there anything about your villain that makes them a (at least somewhat) sympathetic character?

Ooh, yeah.

My arc "villain" (more of antagonist, I suppose) is a cruel, despotic king. Why? Well, he was brought up in a family where his father, the previous king, played a game of ever-shifting favourites with his sons, where losing your favoured position could land you in prison, or worse.

His older brothers, rightfully fed up with this, eventually killed their father, but then fell to fighting among themselves, as their father's treatment had been planned to encourage. My villain was imprisoned by his oldest brother, who was then killed by the middle brother. Eventually Villain was sprung by concerned citizens when middle brother started losing his mind to paranoia. Villain raised an army, defeated middle brother and tortured him to death, then became king himself.

This whole dysfunctional dynasty taught him:

1. Don't trust anyone.
2. Especially don't trust brothers.

He was mentally well enough to have some affection for his own heir. But he only wanted ONE heir. More than one son (even an illegitimate one) terrified him that the same internecine warfare would break out. So, the best way to avoid this (in a culture with no real birth control) was to kill off all but the healthiest, strongest son whom he would love, and who would love him back.

Sucks if you're not that one son, though.

Question: Who's the one person (if any) your villain would trust their life to?

shortstorymachinist

The score is still Q to 12!
Registered
Reaction score
Question: Who's the one person (if any) your villain would trust their life to?

His adopted daughter, but not because he trusts her per se, but more because he trusts that she's been conditioned too well to stab him in the back (and he's right).

Question: Many times, it seems like villains commit their villainy because they can do it in secret, they feel anonymous. How would your villain react if their sins were laid bare for the whole world to see? Would they double-down, repent, do something else?

LLRye

Registered
Reaction score
Question: Many times, it seems like villains commit their villainy because they can do it in secret, they feel anonymous. How would your villain react if their sins were laid bare for the whole world to see? Would they double-down, repent, do something else?

He stands by his reputation - the more feared he is, the better. He would hate for the humans to find out about him and his kind, however, as he prefers to live in the shadows.

Question: Does your villain have money saved away? If so, why and how much?

neandermagnon

Registered
Reaction score
He stands by his reputation - the more feared he is, the better. He would hate for the humans to find out about him and his kind, however, as he prefers to live in the shadows.

Question: Does your villain have money saved away? If so, why and how much?

No, because it's set 40,000 years ago. He has some nice things though, including a wolf hide with the skull still attached, which he wears over his head and shoulders. He's also got a stash of red ochre, chalk and charcoal for body art, which he's quite good at. Oh yeah, and a firestone (iron pyrite). I mean who hasn't got a firestone? Naturally, he has the biggest one.

That's about it.

Does your villain have any little quirks and eccentricities that make them unique and maybe just a little creepy?

LLRye

Registered
Reaction score
Does your villain have any little quirks and eccentricities that make them unique and maybe just a little creepy?

His casual demeanour, sauntering with all the confidence in the world, is accentuated by a boyish grin - a charm that seems to come from a curious openness about the world. Even his bad-boy tendencies often seems to surface as a mischievous smile and attitude. It's not even completely untrue. He is easily bored and always on the lookout for small opportunities to have some fun. You could almost believe that he is the live-and-let-live type who would rather throw a spider outside than kill it. You'd have to look deep, deep into his eyes to see the century-old, master manipulator and ice-cold mass murderer that he truly is.

Question: If your villain only had one day left to live, how would (s)he spend it?

flarue

Registered
Reaction score
Question: If your villain only had one day left to live, how would (s)he spend it?

T: "You must be joking. I don't worry about that sort of thing. I have all of the time in the world to play with, seeing as how I can't die, not even if I wanted to. However, to answer your interview question, I suppose that I would spend it with my remaining family...unless of course, my quest was already completed because then I would just want to spend the entire day with her. But who are we kidding? I can't die. Why am I wasting time answering this? I guess I'm bored."

How would your villain answer the question, What is the meaning of life?

RMLavender

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.intheleaves.com

How would your villain answer the question, What is the meaning of life?

Aww man, my villain has a LOT of thoughts about the meaning of life, considering he's a rogue theologian and he is searching for the source of the oldest/most important power in the universe (magic in layman's terms, or in his theology it's Grace). He believes that he is Chosen/Blessed and that pure, raw power gives meaning to life. He'd give a long talk about how it's really glorifying God/the Spirit to seek power. He'll also give a pretty good explanation for how the death and destruction he helps this higher purpose.

Question: Does your villain have a sense of humour/favourite joke?

Yzjdriel

forgetful elephant
Registered
Reaction score
Question: Does your villain have a sense of humour/favourite joke?

He does indeed. Upon abducting someone and getting information from them, he will offer them a free home-cooked meal (not poisoned), then let them go, giving them advice on the best way to get out of the lair (e.g. "keep left at the split" or "talk to the dragon"). This advice is 100% true and following it will ensure that the person makes it back to the outside world unharmed. However, their complete distrust of him at this point results in them doing the exact opposite of what he said to to, resulting in their death. He finds this hilarious.

How does your villain feel about the use of Xanatos Gambits?

LLRye

Registered
Reaction score
How does your villain feel about the use of Xanatos Gambits?

Oh, he uses them all the time, in a number of variations. Of course, while he does make use of the classic version - even if you 'lose', you still gain something - he finds it a little boring when there is no risk involved.

At the very least, he wants his opponents to agonize over every choice they make - preferably in a way where they are fully aware that no matter what they do, the villain wins... and there's nothing they can do about it. Especially when there are other, external factors involved which puts his opponents in situations where they don't really have a good third option. It's especially fun when he constantly has to be on his toes to keep his opponents unable to solve their problems in any other ways. He is excited by situations where he has to play his cards juuuust right in order to achieve his primary goals.

It should be mentioned here that the villain doesn't have an overarching master plan. He doesn't really believe in those. He has things he wants to do as well as things he wants to stop from happening, and as the situation changes, so does his goals. At most, he plans a couple of months ahead, while of course making sure that he doesn't screw himself over in the long term.

How does your villain feel about the use of Batman Gambits?

KnavesAndKnots

Registered
Reaction score
She makes great use of them! She likes to know exactly who's loyal to who, and she uses that to set perfect little traps.

But obsession blinds her to the fact that her beloved, for whom she does everything, is loyal to her enemies. OOPS.

Does your villain like to dance?

Last edited:

LLRye

Registered
Reaction score
Does your villain like to dance?

He enjoys dancing with a partner, but it depends on the circumstances. Dancing can be a very physical, intimate act. It can convey a lot of things, whether friendliness, sexuality, romance - or even the a mix of physical dominance and superiority.

All of these can be useful. For instance, if a person is already afraid of him, and he dance with them while exuding a friendly, quiet, calm confidence, while never for a moment letting them forget that he can and will hurt them on a whim... it can heighten their fear to outright terror.

Does he like to dance by himself, however? No.
To show off? Also no. It would be too obvious that he was outright demonstrating physical superiority. He would consider that crude and borderline pathetic.

My main villain dances with purpose.

If your villain was forced to go on a vacation somewhere, what kind of destination/location would (s)he find interesting? Why? And would your villain ever take such a vacation?

neandermagnon

Registered
Reaction score
If your villain was forced to go on a vacation somewhere, what kind of destination/location would (s)he find interesting? Why? And would your villain ever take such a vacation?

The concept of "vacation" didn't exist 40,000 years ago, but if you told him he could travel literally anywhere and asked him where he'd most like to go, it would be to go up in the clouds and see what world and creatures exist on top of the clouds, where people can't go or see. He'd go alone so he could learn secrets that no-one else would know and come back and gloat about it to his people, so as to increase the power he wields over them. Of course, he'd never be able to actually go there

Which person/creature/living being/ethereal entity does your villain look up to, if any?

LLRye

Registered
Reaction score
Which person/creature/living being/ethereal entity does your villain look up to, if any?

He has a demon living within him, which has twisted his soul into what it is today. They have only communicated once, but unlike most vampires, he feels a level of kinship with the demon. Most other vampires almost worship the demon within them in the abstract, as the being that gives them strength, but the villain is different. He sees the demon within him as an actual being - and more as a teacher than anything else.

He and the demon want the same things and seek out the same pleasures. The villain fully recognises that this wouldn't be the case if the demon hadn't forcibly remade his soul in its image (more or less), but he doesn't much care. He lives for today, not yesterday, and today he and the demon inside him are on the same wavelength.

How does your villain dress? For comfort, function, or for style? To accentuate masculinity/femininity, to appear sophisticated or simply out of convenience? Either way, describe a typical outfit your villain would wear - and why (s)he would wear it.