Is this a homage or plagiarism?

The_Ink_Goddess

we're gonna make it out of the fire
Registered
Reaction score
I have no idea where this should go, but my greatest fear is stepping on somebody's toes with this kinda stuff, so I figure it needs to go somewhere.

In Marisha Pessl's Night Film, one of the (fictional) films discussed is "At Night All The Birds Are Black." The phrase has stuck with me and I really want to use it in a different context - in my fictional cult, I want it to be like a "password." If I make it clear that they got it from somewhere else, is it still a rip-off? I really don't want to pass somebody else's work off as my own, though. The internet is not very clear on what qualifies as a homage and what is a rip-off. The fact that I feel uneasy about doing it maybe tells me something, though...:D

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
The phrase you like sounds like a play on the very old "All cats are grey in the dark." If you're uneasy using the movie line, maybe you could come up with yet another variation of the original?

If you do use it, yeah, I would probably have one of the characters point to the movie it came from. But I think that could be sort of distracting, since the reference might seem shoehorned in--and it seems unnecessary since you could easily replace it with something else.

Wilde_at_heart

υπείκωphobe
Registered
Reaction score
That would fall under 'homage' for me.

Rip-off is where the references are either much longer, or far less subtle. Writing a vampire romance centered on MCs named Edward and Bella would be a ripoff, imo, even if everything else was completely different.

For example, I'd think naming a even a bit character 'Lord Vetinari' would be a Terry Pratchett ripoff, but having a character who mentions an ancestor by that name would fall under 'homage'. As with everything in writing, it's in the execution.