PERPETUAL EXISTENTIAL CRISIS VICTIM
Registered
Reaction score
Last edited:

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
Interesting to note which states have most of their guns come from out of state:

More than 50%

Massachusetts (23.9% of all guns traced come from New Hampshire)
New Jersey (16.5% of all guns traced come from Pennsylvania)
New York (13.9% of all guns traced come from Virginia)

40-50%

Connecticut
Delaware
Hawai'i
Illinois
Maryland
New Hampshire
North Dakota
Wyoming

30-40%

Colorado
Idaho
Michigan
Minnesota
Nebraska
Nevada
Rhode Island
Tennessee
Vermont
West Virginia

20-30%

Alaska
Arkansas
California (Pacific states are roughly similar: 3 out of 11 come from out of state)
Florida
Georgia
Iowa
Kansas
Kentucky
Mississippi
Missouri
Montana
New Mexico
North Carolina
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
South Carolina
South Dakota
Utah
Washington
Wisconsin

10-20%

Arizona
Indiana
Louisiana
Maine
Ohio
Texas
Virginia

0-10%

Last edited:

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
This is why we need federal regulation. Regardless of where they're sold, in what state (those borders ain't iron curtains) they're sold, on the streets of Chicago or at a gun show, or whether in the hands of gang members or your Aunt Edna, all guns at one time were legally manufactured and sold.

It took us a long time to get into this mess. We won't get out of this mess or even see a significant improvement overnight. But if we plug the flow at the source- and it may take a long time for it to dry up- if ever, but, you know, one life saved is significant enough, especially if it hits close to home.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
It seems like it shouldn't be legal to purchase a weapon in another state, in much the same way it wouldn't be legal for a person to go to Colorado and buy marijuana and then go to Kansas to smoke it. I know guns aren't actually illegal in most places while marijuana is, but your state laws should be the deciding factor. If you choose to live in a state with strict laws, then you should have to abide by those strict laws.

It's disturbing to think I could go to a place with strict gun control laws because that's what I believe in, but that all you have to do to get around them is cross a border. I feel like there should be residency requirements.

ETA: Let me amend that a bit. In our other thread we've mentioned registrations for guns. I think, much like with cars, if you buy out of state, you should still have to register in your home state, and those laws should be dependent on the state's laws.

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
Where is the proof that the majority of firearms used in Chicago are bought in Indiana other than anecdotal evidence? And that still does not explain why the crime rates are not equally high in Indiana either. And why should citizens of Indiana have to have their gun rights curbed because Chicago's criminal class refuses to change its behavior and Chicago can't control its crime? Indiana does have lax gun laws and with the exception of a few cities like Gary has way lower crime rates. Indiana's legal gun owners are not responsible for Chicago's inability to control crime rates.

The lack of logic displayed in this post is distressing. It's not a discussion of "Indiana's legal gun owners." It's about gun sellers.

Add to that, 2.7 million people live in the 234 square miles that is Chicago. 6.5 million people live in the 36,418 square miles that is Indiana. Comparing their crime rates is sophomoric.

Above and beyond that, it isn't just about out of state access to guns. Pointing to Chicago's gun laws as a proof that gun laws don't work ignores that Chicago is not an island or a gated city.

Many of the firearms are coming from an unlikely spot — a hole-in-the-wall gun shop within a few miles of the Chicago city limits.

Between 2008 and March 2012, nearly 20% of the 1,375 guns recovered in crimes were bought at Chuck’s Gun Shop in nearby Riverdale.

Link

It's equally sophomoric for some, deceitful disinformation by others.

As for the propublica link, we could take the time to do some math, compare the total numbers of guns from out of state to the total numbers of guns from other states that were found in Indiana. We could. But it would be a waste of time.