Reaction score
Website
www.julescourt.com
Last edited:

Kay

I wish I was as cool as this cat.
Registered
Reaction score
Would a potential publisher have a problem if you sub to them, and you had also participated in this critique/feedback for the same manuscript?

Hanson

Registered
Reaction score
@Kay. Wouldn't think so.

What the heck is happening in the world of publishing??

They getting all luvvy all of a sudden?

I mean, I do like a bit of luvin', course I do.

It's just...well, will I get the 'let's meet again' phone call the next day? You know?

Becky Black

Writing my way off the B Ark
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beckyblack.wordpress.com
Would a potential publisher have a problem if you sub to them, and you had also participated in this critique/feedback for the same manuscript?

Can't imagine why. For example the Dear Author blog has two "First Page" open critiques on the weekend, where writers post their unpublished first page and anyone can comment and critique it. Naturally the writers are planning to go on an submit their manuscripts to publishers eventually. This is just a rather public way of getting a critique.

One page or 500 words is such a small portion of a novel and anyway will probably substantially change as a result of the crit that a publisher is hardly going to consider it already published. I'd think they'd be glad you've sought out critique and hopefully used it to improve the MS before sending it.

A publisher doesn't expect to be the one and only place you've submitted to. They may not want to be told "You're the 30th place I've submitted to." But they know they might not be the first and only.

My friend took part in a similar kind of event through Mills & Boon, first chapter submitted for public vote and comment kind of thing. She later submitted the story to other publishers who weren't M&B and it was published. So the fact Chapter 1 had been part of that contest didn't mean anything.

Evangeline

Twirling in a glass of champagne
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.edwardianpromenade.com
@Kay. Wouldn't think so.

What the heck is happening in the world of publishing??

They getting all luvvy all of a sudden?

I mean, I do like a bit of luvin', course I do.

It's just...well, will I get the 'let's meet again' phone call the next day? You know?

I've read that self-publishing and new e-publishers like Entangled have been taking a significant bite out of Harlequin's slush pile. As much as I love some of their category lines, I don't blame many authors for making the business decision to take their work on a different route--it can sometimes take years to break into a line, their advances are shrinking compared to a decade ago, and the Harlequin brand is really struggling in North America (incidentally, their international strength is why HarperCollins purchased them). :/

Status
Not open for further replies.