Keep querying or sit tight?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aus10phile

committed plantser
Registered
Reaction score
I'm back to that point where I'm not sure if I should keep querying or sit tight.

My querying process started off great. I got 12 requests off of 28 queries (mostly fulls and a few partials). And two partials had turned into fulls, which seemed like a promising sign.

But now 5 of those have come back as rejections (including the two partials that turned into fulls). I still have the other 7 out there, but I'm not sure if I should keep querying at this point or wait for more responses. I've not sent out any queries for the last 6 weeks.

There hasn't been any consistency in the feedback. Four of the rejections read like semi-personalized forms (made mention of my MC's name or something) with vague feedback like, "terrific and promising project," "love the premise," and "enjoyed reading it" but "needs to start quicker," "needs more editorial work," and the oh-so-ominous, "not confident I can sell this."

One agent gave me more detailed feedback with what she thought would make the story work for her, but it would require such big changes that it would really alter the story, and I'm not enthused about trying it right now.

There's a big part of me that thinks, the book is what it is, and while anything can probably be improved to a degree, I'm not sure I can significantly improve this without making it something different that was somehow better. So I sort of think I should just keep querying.

But then I wonder if I should read these rejections as warning signs that I have a problem with the ms and I should wait for more responses and consider revising.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Those are excellent request numbers. All the passes, though, ugh.

Did you have beta readers for the book? One comment that jumped out at me was "needs to start quicker." Fulls from partials and then passes might mean that the book could use sprucing up.

aus10phile

committed plantser
Registered
Reaction score
Those are excellent request numbers. All the passes, though, ugh.

Did you have beta readers for the book? One comment that jumped out at me was "needs to start quicker." Fulls from partials and then passes might mean that the book could use sprucing up.

I had about 5 or 6 betas. Maybe I should get a few more pairs of eyes on it before I do anything?

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
If I were you, I would probably wait for the rest of the responses before sending out more. Some of the feedback might echo reactions you've already got, and if several professionals say the same thing you might need to reconsider those aspects of your story.

Changes could well be necessary before you sign an agent, and more before you land a contract. And then your editor will doubtless have more changes still. Honestly, the book isn't what it is until it's fixed in final form by publication.

Best of luck with it!

aus10phile

committed plantser
Registered
Reaction score
Honestly, the book isn't what it is until it's fixed in final form by publication.

Yeah, I get that. I'm not saying I don't want to do any more revisions. I was more thinking "it is what it is" on a general level. Like, I could revise and totally change a big aspect of the book like the one agent suggested, but that particular change would really make it a different thing.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
I went over to SYW and read your prologue and opening chapter, then your query.

This is one opinion only, but to me the query reads like a lighthearted cozy, the prologue like a serious cozy, and chapter one like a cross between the two.

Is it possible that the first 5 chapters have a different feel than the rest of the book?

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
7 is still a lot of potential feedback to come. I would hold tight, especially if you think that *maybe* that agent with great feedback might be right but you want to see if anyone else agrees because it's such a huge change and you only want to do it if you really have to, but at the same time you don't want to find out later that you should have done it but now you've queried a whole bunch and gotten more requests and it seems like a bad time to do it with all those requests out there and besides who else would you query? and then it's been so long since that R&R, would it still be okay to revise, maybe beta, and send back ages later? and...

*has played this game*

aus10phile

committed plantser
Registered
Reaction score
I went over to SYW and read your prologue and opening chapter, then your query.

This is one opinion only, but to me the query reads like a lighthearted cozy, the prologue like a serious cozy, and chapter one like a cross between the two.

Is it possible that the first 5 chapters have a different feel than the rest of the book?

The shark pointed out the same inconsistency between my query and my prologue. I ended up dumping the prologue after that and queried with chapter 1 as the beginning. Whether it's inconsistent from that point on... from my very non-objective, too-close-to-it opinion, I don't think so.

ETA: And one of the partials that turned into a full was a 10 chapter partial! That was really a bummer. I honestly thought if someone liked that much of it, the rest of the book wouldn't be a problem, because beginnings and early middles are the hardest. Not that I was expecting her to say yes. It just seemed promising. But maybe she was on the fence and just wanted the rest to decide.

Last edited:

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
So, Aus10, couple of things from your OP.

and the oh-so-ominous, "not confident I can sell this."
Ominous perhaps, but I'll just point out the word I, and put the emphasis there.

One agent gave me more detailed feedback with what she thought would make the story work for her, but it would require such big changes that it would really alter the story, and I'm not enthused about trying it right now.
Thinking back on your query thread, why do I have the vague feeling she wants you to turn this into a straight up romance? :D

But then I wonder if I should read these rejections as warning signs that I have a problem with the ms and I should wait for more responses and consider revising.

I think you've already got some pretty solid advice from agented/published authors so I'll just stand here on the sidelines and offer moral support. FWIW, I think you should wait, too. It seems like a merry-go-round you can never escape if you revise before feeling like you've gotten a complete set of responses. You'd never quite know what was/wasn't working if you throw another MS into the mix. Unless you got an offer, of course. That would solve everything. ;)

kydelaney

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kydelaney.com
The waiting is always so hard, but maybe that will provide some needed distance and a break from this book. Breaks can be so rejuvenating and helpful to have more energy and enthusiasm about an overhaul (if you think once is required at that time). Besides, the summer is a nice time to enjoy other things besides writing, or start a new book.

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
First off, congratulations on the fantastic querying rate! That is amazing! If I were in your shoes, and keep in mind this is coming from someone who knows next to nothing and I could very well be wrong, I would sit tight until it's been 3 months since the agents got your fulls. In the meantime, I would ask around on AW for a couple more betas (and try to look for really hardass people who wouldn't sugarcoat stuff) and have them look over the MS. I feel somewhat sure that you'll get more responses from the agents before the 3 months are up, and maybe those responses might give you a better idea of what to do with the MS. While waiting to hear back from the betas and the agents, I would move on and work on a new book, because seriously, that is the only damn thing keeping me sane throughout the querying and subbing process.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.