Issue Settled

CDSinex

Imagine something clever here.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A publisher, Timber Press out of Oregon, used a haiku of mine in a book without seeking, or getting permission (they did attribute the poem to me.) I e-mailed both the publisher, and the author (a person whom I’ve never met) asking for a copy of the book in exchange for retroactive permission. To date I’ve not heard back. Any suggestions on what I should do next?

Don’t get me wrong, I’m flattered that they liked the poem, but they can’t just use something because they read it on The Haiku Society WEB site. I still own the copyright.

Any ideas would be most welcomed.

Last edited:

Thedrellum

Grr. Argh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.patreon.com
They have a toll-free phone number, so I might start there. Also, if the imprint fails to respond, I'd go directly to contacting Workman Publishing who seems to be the company that owns Timber Press (an imprint, maybe).

CDSinex

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The author contacted me, apologized, and offered two copies of the book.

She said the publisher had attempted, unsuccessfully, to reach me through The Haiku Society before the book went to press. All's well that ends well.

Thanks all for for the suggestions.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Glad to hear it!

Quotidianlight

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mayagoode.com
That was not kosher of them. Attribution is not permission.

Yeah, I'm glad it worked out but a reputable publisher would have pulled the poem if they couldn't contact you. What if you had sent it out or something. smh, I am fuming for you and glad they got back to you.

Last edited:

CDSinex

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm glad it worked out but a reputable publisher would have pulled the poem if they couldn't contact you. What if you had sent it out or something. smh, I am fuming for you and glad they got back to you.

It's a print book, so pulling it would not be an option. I would have let them use it in exchange for a copy, had I been asked. The publisher told the author they tried to contact me (I'm not really that hard to find.) The author of the book found it on The Haiku Society website, so the haiku wouldn't be eligible for submission.

I once found one of my haiku about herbs, with attribution, on a Wiccan site.

Last edited: