What YA book are you reading RIGHT NOW?, issue 2

RaggedEdge

I can do this
Registered
Reaction score
Finally finished my re-read of Book #3 of the Mortal Instruments. <snip> Now time to read Book #4 for the first time. Yay!

Hi yoghurtelf, just a heads up on this: I've heard a YouTube reviewer say it's best to read the first book in the Infernal Devices series before Book 4 in the Mortal Instruments series IF you're planning to read ID, and to continue reading them in the order they were published (i.e. Book 2 in ID before Book 5 in MI - if I recall correctly) because otherwise there are spoilers for ID. Maybe someone here can confirm that?

Secondly, you may want to revise your post as it's kind of spoilery, I think. I hadn't read the first three books in MI until this summer, so some of us still need to go through that reveal for the first time. ;)

yoghurtelf

yoghurt elf say wheeee!
Registered
Reaction score
I had read that about the Infernal Devices, but I wasn't sure if it mattered much since I've already seen a bit about Camille in the TV show. Thanks for the tip on the spoilery part, I wasn't thinking about that when I posted. I'll edit!

yoghurtelf

yoghurt elf say wheeee!
Registered
Reaction score
Nearly at the end of book #5 now... Man, these characters go through a lot of crap!

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Hardcopy: MARK OF THE PLAGUE by Kevin Sands
Kindle: NOTEWORTHY by Riley Redgate and THE GOLEM AND THE JINNI by Helene Wecker
Audiobook: AND I DARKEN by Kiersten White

Going more slowly these days. Luckily, I was 11 books ahead of schedule for my 100-book challenge once upon a time (Now only 7 books ahead)

nightunderstars

Reluctant Messiah
Registered
Reaction score
Currently breaking into Parable of the Sower. Can't believe I hadn't picked it up before!

samchapman

Registered
Reaction score
Straddles the line between YA and MG, but Vox from The Edge Chronicles. MG because it has a lot of illustrations, YA because those illustrations are of people getting eaten alive by crevice demons.

pinkbowvintage

&#9812;
Registered
Reaction score
I just finished THE SPECIAL ONES by EM Bailey (liked it) and WHAT GIRLS ARE MADE OF by Elana K. Arnold (loooved it).

I'm gonna start LITTLE WRECKS by Meredith Miller tonight.

hester

New year, new avatar.
Registered
Reaction score
YAY for Elana K. Arnold love!! I just recommended her books in a different thread :).

JetFueledCar

tiny hedgehog
Registered
Reaction score
SKULDUGGERY PLEASANT SKULDUGGERY PLEASANT SKULDUGGERY PLEASANT

*cough*

This was rec'd to me a couple times and I'm finally reading it. I'm on book two and I'm in LOVE.

JetFueledCar

tiny hedgehog
Registered
Reaction score
So much screaming. I just finished I AM PRINCESS X by Cherie Priest. Had never read anything else by her and didn't even notice the author's name, but I picked it off the library shelf because it was a cool title, checked it out because it was a cool book jacket copy, and kept it when I purged my library checkout list because it's only 200-ish pages. I read it in about four hours today and it was AMAZING. [SPOILERS BELOW]

I think it's the happiest, most uplifting thing I've read in YA, ever. I kept waiting for something to go wrong, for someone to betray them, to find out Libby was really dead... and it never did. Everyone goes home happy. It was BEAUTIFUL.

yoghurtelf

yoghurt elf say wheeee!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm nearly at the end of Lydia Kang's second book in the Control duology, Catalyst. It's thrown up some surprises for sure! Sometimes I'm reading it and thinking, "Hmmm, this is weird." haha. It doesn't feel like your typical dystopian / post-apocalyptic YA.

Iambriannak

Registered
Reaction score
Just finished Remember by Eileen Cook. It wasn't exactly what I expected and the ending was rather rushed.

Iambriannak

Registered
Reaction score
Once and For All by Sarah Dessen. Doesn't seem to follow her typical formula so I'm pretty excited to keep reading

hyperchord24

Registered
Reaction score
DJ MacHale's Sylo Chronicles. The man who shaped my childhood has come back. A lot like Lost. I love it so far

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Hardcopy: WITCH by Christopher Pike, WILLFUL MACHINES by Tim Floreen, and A STUDY IN CHARLOTTE by Brittany Cavallaro (I mean sorta, since they're all on chapter 1 and have been for a while)
Kindle: HALF LIFE by S.L Huang
Audiobook: DAUGHTER OF THE PIRATE KING by Tricia Levenseller

And my own A PARANORMAL BROMANCE in prep for NaNo.

thereeness

Registered
Reaction score
HUNTING PRINCE DRACULA by Kerri Maniscalco

It's the sequel to her debut novel, STALKING JACK THE RIPPER, and I gotta say, I can definitely tell the author's improved since book 1. The atmosphere is amazing, it's dripping in gothic imagery (I mean it's set in Romania in Vlad the Impaler's castle, come on) and it's been a great murder-mystery so far.

Hbooks

Registered
Reaction score
GEEKERELLA by Ashley Poston, which is adorable.
PRODIGY by Marie Lu, loving the series
THE SUN IS ALSO A STAR, by Nicola Yoon.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Original Fake by Kirsten Cronn-Mills. Great book about some young artistic teens getting involved with a Banksy/Shepard Farey mash-up character, one of the young protags is a very enjoyable genderfluid character who designs his own skirts and seems to a have bit of the young decadent about him. Great book, and more of what I like to see in YA, even if I'm kind of a Shepard Farey hater and wish the book wouldn't use him so much as an example of what's cool, rebellious, and anti-commercial. But small gripe, great book. Here's to more YA about street art!

Oh, and also Forest of a Thousand Paper Lanterns by Julie Dao a while back. I'm a little over YA SFF featuring characters with superpowers, which seems to be very common right now. But this one is good, the MC's powers are original and kind of gruesome, and the author is great with character and dialogue.

EDIT- Excuse me, Original Fake, Genuine Fraud is by E. Lockhart and you should also read it. Kinda funny there are two YA books out about hyperreality right now.

Last edited:

edutton

Ni. Peng. Neee-Wom.
Registered
Reaction score
Trying to squeeze in ECHO AFTER ECHO. It's going slowly because I have no time, but I really like the narrative voice. Like, a lot.