What YA book are you reading RIGHT NOW?, issue 2

borogove

Registered
Reaction score
Just finished Sapphire Blue and Premeditated, am midway through The Fate of the Tearling and a beta read. It's going to take a while to get through Paula Hawkins's Into the Water—it's a grim starter, and since I do a lot of my reading to and from work, it doesn't exactly infuse the day with good vibes.

Next on deck: The Weight of Feathers, Naomi Novik's Uprooted, Kerstin Gier's Emerald Green

kclaw

Registered
Reaction score
Hiya! I used to post in this thread a million years ago, but kinda dropped off the radar when I got a new time-sucking job. Happy to be back!

I just read THE HATE U GIVE, and loved it. I was worried it wouldn't live up to the hype, but it definitely did for me. The pacing was just so on point that I never wanted to put it down.

I've got an old copy of Libba Bray's THE DIVINERS kicking around and I think I'll start that next.

I'm glad to see the love for EVERY HEART A DOORWAY on this thread! It was one of my favourite books of last year, and I've been meaning to reread it (but you know, mile high TBR). There are two other novellas set in the same world out now, but I'll definitely want a refresher on the first story before I jump back in.

kclaw

Registered
Reaction score
Finished IMAGINARY GIRLS by Nova Ren Suma, the first YA she wrote and the last I've read. I loved loved loved it.

Ahhh I love IMAGINARY GIRLS! It's still my favorite of Suma's books. Such a sad, strange, lovely little story. I'm always on the lookout for something else like it.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Kindle: A DARKER SHADE OF MAGIC by V.E. Schwab and THE HEIR by Kiera Cass
Hardcover: THE DREAM THIEVES by Maggie Stiefvater and MAXIMUM RIDE by James Patterson
Audiobook: HARRY POTTER AND THE GOBLET OF FIRE by JK Rowling (for about 4 more minutes, but still)

travelgal

Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading Prep by Curtis Sittenfeld but I've ground to a halt because it's exam time, plus she'd just stood up a friend to cut the most popular girl's hair. Idiot: she should charge them. I'm liking the MC less and less, but it's so beautifully written I'm continuing. I hope life bites Lee in the arse.

The girl doesn't have any hobbies. She doesn't read, draw, go running or anything.

What's with all those weirdo names? Aspeth, McGrath, Cross, etc. Aspeth I read as 'asphalt.' Ugh, and why the hell were the black twins' names 'Big' and 'Little'?

Beanie5

Live a poem...Or die a fool. \/
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone read the bartimeaus trilogy heard he bought out a prequel a few years ago and was wondering if it was any good?

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Anyone read the bartimeaus trilogy heard he bought out a prequel a few years ago and was wondering if it was any good?

If you mean The Ring of Solomon, I found it quite good, retaining much of the humor, though I still preferred the trilogy.

I've also enjoyed Stroud's other books, at least the ones I've read.

Beanie5

Live a poem...Or die a fool. \/
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, looking for something good but will leave well enough alone and search for something else.

RMLavender

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.intheleaves.com
I've just finished reading Lord of Shadows by Cassandra Clare and it's inspired me to finally go back to The Mortal Instruments and read the last three books...but I forgot what happened in the first half of the series so I have to go back and start from the beginning. Not really sure why I'm putting myself through this - I like the Shadowhunter world, but never really liked Clary or Jace so this could be a horrible reading decision. Lady Midnight and Lord of Shadows have spoilers for TMI so I've already pieced together all the big plot points, but it's just bothering me not to know exactly what I've missed.

hester

New year, new avatar.
Registered
Reaction score
Not sure if this counts as YA, but I'm reading LUCKIEST GIRL ALIVE (which alternates between the MC at 28 and the MC at 14). It's gotten some very polarized reviews on Goodreads, so I'm curious to see how it pans out. I'm really enjoying the writing, but the MC is...a bit difficult :).

HaHs

Registered
Reaction score
I don't see the series as YA but I'm sure it counts - I've been listening to the audiobook of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone on repeat lately, since it's the only one of them I've got until my next month of Audible credits. It's only 8 hours long so I have to start it again every couple of days... good thing I love the book enough that it doesn't matter!

foxesfairytales

Registered
Reaction score
I've just finished reading Lord of Shadows by Cassandra Clare and it's inspired me to finally go back to The Mortal Instruments and read the last three books...but I forgot what happened in the first half of the series so I have to go back and start from the beginning. Not really sure why I'm putting myself through this - I like the Shadowhunter world, but never really liked Clary or Jace so this could be a horrible reading decision. Lady Midnight and Lord of Shadows have spoilers for TMI so I've already pieced together all the big plot points, but it's just bothering me not to know exactly what I've missed.

I've only read the first book in The Mortal Instruments but I think you've summed up my problem with it, which I could never figure out for myself. I loved the world and thought it had a lot of interesting potential but the characters themselves just put me right off.

Fuchsia Groan

Becoming a laptop-human hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Not sure if this counts as YA, but I'm reading LUCKIEST GIRL ALIVE (which alternates between the MC at 28 and the MC at 14). It's gotten some very polarized reviews on Goodreads, so I'm curious to see how it pans out. I'm really enjoying the writing, but the MC is...a bit difficult :).

*whispers* I enjoyed it! It goes over the top in places, and the adult MC is a person I would absolutely avoid in real life, but she does change. Plus, I just enjoy mean MCs sometimes. :) Both that book and PREP were very relatable to me because I went to a college where people were wealthy and everyone was obsessed with status, including the scholarship kids (me). I accepted my outcast nerd status and did not try to be popular like those two MCs do, but watching them take the other path was fascinating.

Reading CUCKOO SONG (love!) and about to start an ARC of K@tie Kennedy's WHAT GO3S UP.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Kindle: A DARKER SHADE OF MAGIC by V.E. Schwab and THE CROWN by Kiera Cass
Hardcover: WANT by Cindy Pon, THE DREAM THIEVES by Maggie Stiefvater, and MAXIMUM RIDE by James Patterson
Audiobook: HARRY POTTER AND THE ORDER OF THE PHOENIX by JK Rowling

airandarkness

Registered
Reaction score

This sounds like me :D I haven't read Lady Midnight or Lord of Shadows yet because I kind of feel like I should reread MI, since it's been a while, but...I don't really want to LOL. Like you, I enjoyed the worldbuilding. I also enjoyed some of the secondary characters and enjoyed a lot of their witty banter. But I was never a big fan of Jace or Clary, and I often found their drama a little overdone. When I do get around to Lady Midnight, I might just see if I can find plot summaries for MI online to refresh myself.

I enjoyed Infernal Devices a lot more than MI. A lot of people said Will was just like Jace, but I found him to be a much better character. More layered and more mature and more sympathetic (well, once you learn why he's pushing everyone away, anyway).

s_nov

Registered
Reaction score
Just finished THE SCORPIO RACES by Maggie Stiefvater. Slow build, but the middle to ending was totally worth it. I'm waiting to get my hands on a copy of ALWAYS AND FOREVER, LARA JEAN by Jenny Han to finish out that series! :)

PickleHeartsBooks

Registered
Reaction score
I'm currently reading Titans by Victoria Scott. It's about some big long race on robotic horses. Except the horse the main character is riding is the most "real" version of these robots, and it seems to have full on emotions. It's pretty good so far

PickleHeartsBooks

Registered
Reaction score
Hiya! I used to post in this thread a million years ago, but kinda dropped off the radar when I got a new time-sucking job. Happy to be back!

I just read THE HATE U GIVE, and loved it. I was worried it wouldn't live up to the hype, but it definitely did for me. The pacing was just so on point that I never wanted to put it down.

I've got an old copy of Libba Bray's THE DIVINERS kicking around and I think I'll start that next.

I'm glad to see the love for EVERY HEART A DOORWAY on this thread! It was one of my favourite books of last year, and I've been meaning to reread it (but you know, mile high TBR). There are two other novellas set in the same world out now, but I'll definitely want a refresher on the first story before I jump back in.

oooh I just bought The Hate U Give! I've heard so many wonderful things about the story and the writing. And I just picked up a used copy of A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray. (I couldn't get into The Diviners, but I still want to try out AGATB)

playground

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone else read Scythe? I wasn't huge on it, felt like it dragged. Was curious others thoughts on it.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I enjoyed it, but I can see that it could be a little dry for some, and the romance was so superficial.

playground

Registered
Reaction score
Yea, I felt it dragged and was not big on the romance on it. I don't know, the writing was just kinda strange to me. The idea was so cool but the writing didn't drag me in. The villains were just kinda there. I don't know, hard to say. It wasn't bad to me, it just wasn't great it either. It was kinda just there. I am curious how he is going to make a series out of it though. I guess it will go more down the road of probably turning the whole immortal thing of everyone.