What YA book are you reading RIGHT NOW?, issue 2

pinkbowvintage

♔
Registered
Reaction score
This one is in my TBR pile I'll read after HIDDEN FIGURES and MARCH. I have heard it has some triggering events and was a little problematic, but overall was an amazing read.

It's definitely not an easy read, and a lot of it is quite visceral and upsetting. That being said, the voice feels extremely realistic and authentic.

jtrylch13

Has semi-colon; will use it!
Registered
Reaction score
Finished HIDDEN FIGURES by Margot Lee Shetterly and it was amazing. She mixed in historical context, the details of the history that pertains to these women and NASA, and also things about their personal lives which makes it read more like a story than just dry historical facts. I am NOT a math/science person, so that stuff didn't really interest me, but it was fairly innocuous in that it was mentioned, but it wasn't elaborated on to the point of boredom. Looking at segregation through the eyes of a black woman writing about other black women was truly educational. I do feel it worthy to note it's not like seeing the movie. The movie condenses almost 30 years of history into one movie and creates relationships that didn't exactly exist. I get why they did it, and the movie was phenomenal, but to get the completely true story I would read the book. It has for more details and important info.

Currently reading MARCH by John Lewis, Andrew Aydin, and Nate Powell. It's a very powerful work so far and I'm only 60 pages into the first volume. If you want to get a true picture of what segregation was like (and how it has had lasting affects on Black communities even until this day) I highly recommend reading HIDDEN FIGURES & MARCH.

jtrylch13

Registered
Reaction score
MARCH was amazing. I highly recommend it for every person alive! It is graphic in showing violence. Not in a really horrible way, but it felt real, so be warned I guess.

Now reading ALLEGEDLY by Tiffany Jackson. It's very well written, but sad. People need to know what these kids go through in our criminal justice system. It's appalling.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Just started THE FORGETTING by Sharon Cameron on my Kindle, having finished ALTERATIONS.

Still reading THE DIABOLIC, which is better now that it's gotten going. I'm also reading ICE LIKE FIRE.

And an adult audiobook.

Ellaroni

Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading A.C. Thomas THE HATE U GIVE. Very good so far. Excellent voice.

Danalynn

NEVER give up!!!!
Registered
Reaction score
MARCH was amazing. I highly recommend it for every person alive! It is graphic in showing violence. Not in a really horrible way, but it felt real, so be warned I guess.

Who is the author of this one? It sounds good.

Melody

Writer of MG, YA and Adult
Registered
Reaction score
STIM by Kevin Berry. Though it might be considered NA since the MC is in college. The main character has Asperger's and so does the author. Incredibly insightful on what it's like to have this condition, but also LOL funny, IMHO.

jtrylch13

Registered
Reaction score
MARCH is written by Rep. John Lewis, Andrew Aydin, and Nate Powell. You really only need John Lewis's name to find, it but I wanted to rep the others. :) And like Edutton said, it is a hard read. A real eye opener to what people in the Civil Rights Movement went through and how bad segregation really was. It's haunting. I'm watching the mini-series WHEN WE RISE on ABC this week and it has some similarities. Just unbelievable what people who are still alive today went through not that long ago. Makes me want to stand up now and fight harder to preserve the advances we've made in the face of people who want to destroy our progress. :Soapbox:

THE HATE U GIVE by Angie Thomas was phenomenal!!! I recommend it to everyone everywhere! It's the only book I've ever read where I finished it and wanted to immediately read it all over again. So eye-opening and powerful. Today's teens really need this book!

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
When I started ICE LIKE FIRE, I was so happy with the sense of familiarity of the characters and writing. But I just got bored by it. I didn't care about Mather's POV at all, and more and more Meira was annoying me. I had trouble understanding what was going on every time she used her power too. Certainly we were immersed in her feelings of it, but I couldn't tell what she was actually doing. The "twist" was pretty obvious, and sometimes I like that, but here I found it frustrating because Meira was clearly being forced by the author not to deal with things that would have made it obvious to her too. I hate leaving a series unfinished after book 2 (book 1, I'm fine with), but I'm not sure if I'm going to pick up book 3. OTOH, this could just be suffering from Book 2 Syndrome (most trilogies are weakest in book 2), and book 3 might be fine. I do have hope that now that the twist is over and Meira is going to be forced out of the I-want-to-fight-but-must-be-a-queen role, that it won't be as annoying, but looking at JTR's opinions, maybe not.

Currently reading:

Kindle: THE FORGETTING by Sharon Cameron and STARFLIGHT by Melissa Landers
Hardcover: THE DIABOLIC by S.J. Kincaid

I started SCYTHE by Neal Shusterman, thinking it would be contemp fantasy, but turns out it had a similar feel to THE FORGETTING, so I'm putting it on hold and will probably pick up a more fantasy-ish hard cover to balance out the SF and dystopia reads.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
The Hate U Give, by Angie Thomas, which seems to be an insanely big book right now. As well it should be. Also, Done Dirt Cheap by Someone Someone Lemon (Not Liz), which is about kinda-trashy-but-way-awesome teen girls trying to take down a biker gang. A million recommends.

Tim Archer

Registered
Reaction score
I also just started digging into THE HATE U GIVE and wow. Powerful and needed.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Finished STARFLIGHT. One of my friends pointed out on Goodreads that the story, which starts out focused on the FMC at the beginning, actually turns into the MMC's story by the end, and now I can't unsee it. I enjoyed it quite a lot, but I did think it was edited oddly, and had weird things like a chapter where the MCs get high on mushrooms accidentally and where a character who did practically nothing the whole book is given a bunch of loyalty by the others. The sequel is about another pair of characters, so instead of going straight into it, I downloaded another sample. The first one did well on selling me with its (nice long) sample.

Also finished my adult audiobook. I don't know what I'm listening to next.

Currently reading:

Kindle: THE FORGETTING by Sharon Cameron
Hardcover: THE DIABOLIC by S.J. Kincaid and THE BOOK JUMPER by Mechthild Gläser

jtrylch13

Registered
Reaction score
Reading A CONJURING OF LIGHT by V.E. Scwab. It is amazing like everything she writes. I think I'm getting burned out by reading series though. I'm only a quarter of the way in and I'm already thinking I just want to know how it ends. I'm enjoying it and it is phenomenal, but I think I might need to take a break from reading. *she says but will never do*

Jan74

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I hate to even admit this...but I will...Sage eyes by V.C Andrews and it sucks...big.time!
So I realize it's not the real V.C Andrews the Flowers in the Attic that I grew up with but I saw it in Chapters and thought ah what the heck. It's really horrible, when I read that teenagers can automatically tell when an adult author is lecturing them my first thoughts were this: I'm willing to bet most teenagers aren't going to like this book. So since I could pick the lecturing out right away I'm willing to bet a teenager could. Anyways I will now return to my Jane Eyre that I originally started reading.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
THE STRANGER GAME by Cylin Busby and I love it, almost done. Can't wait to finish and head to the library for a new one.

JeniferTidwell

Birdie wrangler
Registered
Reaction score
I just got my copy of THE HATE U GIVE, too. Wow. There was a lot of buildup for this one, but it's well-deserved. (A little slower-paced than I expected, but that's not a bad thing.)

Ellaroni

Registered
Reaction score
THE HATE U GIVE was stellar and worth absolutely all the hype. That's rare! I'm ordering a paperback copy and hoping to get the school library to order a class set to use for next year's students. Black and native people's history in the US are core subjects in our English curriculum, and Angie Thomas' book is a perfect fit.

RMLavender

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.intheleaves.com
Ok, fellow YA fans, tell me whether or not I should soldier on - I'm reading DREAM THIEVES by Maggie Stiefvater, the second book in The Raven Cycle. Is this series just a slow burn that I have yet to notice...or is it just slow? I'm on a solid, one chapter a night pace, which is very slow for me - when I'm invested in a book I find myself staying up much too late to read 'one more chapter...one more chapter...' Should I stick it out and keep going with this series?

I did the unforgivable in my reading rules and cheated on DREAM THIEVES last night and read the first few chapters of MY LADY JANE, which is just a bit of fluffy fun.

Just finished WAYFARER this week, and set aside TRAITOR TO THE THRONE last week but want to pick it up again soon.

jtrylch13

Registered
Reaction score
A CONJURING OF LIGHT by Victoria Schwab was fantastic! Now reading THE SHIP BEYOND TIME by Heidi Heilig and it's really good so far.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Finished THE DIABOLIC and loved it except for the really awful first couple chapters (excluding the prologue, which hooked me). Holy infodump at the beginning, Batman, and the most interesting part of the infodump was information we had already received in the prologue. Other than that, my only complaint was a certain LGBTQA cliche that I have to side-eye even when I agree it's necessary for the story.

Currently reading:

Kindle: THE FORGETTING by Sharon Cameron
Hardcover: THE BOOK JUMPER by Mechthild Gläser
Audiobook: BOOK OF A THOUSAND DAYS by Shannon Hale

One of each. That'll probably change soon.