What YA book are you reading RIGHT NOW?, issue 2

ssmith37

Registered
Reaction score
I recently read Kiss of Frost by Jennifer Estep. It's full of cliches but I really enjoy the series the two books I have read of it. It's a guilty pleasure type of reading. :)

Iambriannak

Registered
Reaction score
Reading Code Name Variety. Pretty good so far. I like the voice to the MC.

ChipsAhoyMcCoy

ريانن ✿ &#159
Registered
Reaction score
Just read Divergent for the first time yesterday, and now I'm on Insurgent. I think I would've liked these books a lot more a few years ago, but I'm struggling to get into them now. I find it hard to stay interested in the plot and the faction stuff overdone and boring, although I really like Four/Tobias and Tris' characters. They're the only reason I'm continuing with the books so far. I'm hoping that Insurgent is just a weaker middle book and that Allegiant finishes out strong.

be frank

not a bloke, not named frank
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
Re-reading FIVE FLAVORS OF DUMB by Antony John. It's a wonderful blend of funny and serious.

mpalenik

Registered
Reaction score
I started reading Paper Towns recently and I'm almost finished. I'm trying to write a sci-fi/fantasy YA story, but of course, the interaction between teenage characters still has to be done well, and I thought reading some John Green might help me get a feel for how others have approached this and done a good job. My actual, personal feelings toward Paper Towns (and the dialogue in it) are. . . mixed, although, I recognize that objectively it's a really successful and probably well written book.

Winterturn

Scribble, scribble.
Registered
Reaction score
I recently finished The Sky is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson which I loved. I've just started the Smell of Other People's Houses by Bonnie-Sue Hitchcock.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Spontaneous by Aaron Starmer was different. Good read if you don't mind a completely crazy impossible plot. I enjoyed it.

River Road by Jayne Ann Krentz was pretty good but it isn't YA. Nice mystery.

ChipsAhoyMcCoy

ريانن ✿ &#159
Registered
Reaction score
I just started The Edge of Everything by Jeff Giles. Not too far in yet, but I'm enjoying it so far.

71writer

Registered
Reaction score
I just finished two in 2 days this week. The first is by April Henry-The Body in the Woods: A Point Last Seen Mystery and the second was by Kim Savage-After the Woods. I liked The Body in the Woods much better than the other.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I was reading Reboot, a book I bought a while ago and that came out even longer ago, but I'm sorry to say that I just had to DNF it. It seemed perfect for me, but the "emotionless" MC was anything but, and the rebooted humans were being turned into traditional zombies, which I'm not a fan of.

jtrylch13

Has semi-colon; will use it!
Registered
Reaction score
Just read Divergent for the first time yesterday, and now I'm on Insurgent. I think I would've liked these books a lot more a few years ago, but I'm struggling to get into them now. I find it hard to stay interested in the plot and the faction stuff overdone and boring, although I really like Four/Tobias and Tris' characters. They're the only reason I'm continuing with the books so far. I'm hoping that Insurgent is just a weaker middle book and that Allegiant finishes out strong.

I read Divergent series years ago and I felt the same way. I was not a fan. And they only get worse. Allegiant was not that great. But that is me and everyone likes there own thing, so if you start to enjoy Insurgent more, don't go by what I say.

Currently reading DEAR MARTIN by Nic Stone. Got an ARC of it in the mail the other day! I'm not too far in, but it's good so far!

I really want this one!

Right now I am reading GEORGIA PEACHES AND OTHER FORBIDDEN FRUIT by Jaye Robin Brown. So far it's pretty good. I wasn't sure I was going to like the voice, but it's grown in me and I'm enjoying it.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Finished a reread of The Wrath and The Dawn, and starting The Rose and the Dagger for the first time. The first time I read TW&TD, I finished it in one day, but this time it didn't call to me the same way. Still, it was enjoyable enough to read the sequel, which I already owned :p

Also rereading Cress, so that I can finally read Winter, which has been sitting on my Kindle for over a year.

Melanii

Talking Fruit
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thestrawberryscribe.wordpress.com
I tried to stay away from this thread so I don't add MORE books to my to-read list. XD

Getting back into reading with THE ROSE AND THE DAGGER. I really enjoy the prose and description. Although I swore of writing novels, I can't help but want to write each time I read this book.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I'm also reading The Rose and The Dagger (ETA: Oh, I see I said that before. I though I had just said TW&TD). What's weird is that when reading TW&TD, I was bored, even though I was riveted the first time, but reading this one fresh, I'm interested again. Maybe these are just one-read books for me.

Still rereading Cress too.

My audiobook is Ella Enchanted (MG), but I'm sad to find that it's not a full-cast audiobook like Fairest, a companion book, is. I had a physical copy of the book, but thought it'd be fun to listen as an audiobook once I finished Fairest.

And a beta read.

Last edited:

jtrylch13

Registered
Reaction score
Finished reading GEORGIA PEACHES AND OTHER FORBIDDEN FRUIT by Jaye Robin Brown and it was pretty wonderful. There was a point I questioned the need to lie and keep the story going in that direction, but otherwise it was a beautiful story. I am not particularly religious, to the point I may be leaning toward atheism, but I did appreciate using faithful teens and religion in a book and not making them preaching and judgmental jerks. It was refreshing.

Currently reading OF FIRE AND STARS by Audrey Coulthurst. Pretty good so far.

Smiley0501

Lurker, now activated. :-)
Registered
Reaction score
JTR, thats how I felt about GEORGIA PEACHES too. I wondered why the lie went on for so long, but overall it was a good read. And we need more of it (there's always LGBTQIA etc kids who are religious or believe in some sort of religion and it's not always a bad thing). :)

I'm currently reading THE SOMEDAY SUITCASE (MG) and WOLF WILDER (also MG). And avoiding a ton of books for school ;)

pinkbowvintage

♔
Registered
Reaction score
I'm still reading COPPER SUN by Sharon M. Draper and REALITY BOY by A.S. King. I've been so busy lately I haven't had much time to read, but I'm getting through them! Enjoying both.

ChipsAhoyMcCoy

ريانن ✿ &#159
Registered
Reaction score
I read Divergent series years ago and I felt the same way. I was not a fan. And they only get worse. Allegiant was not that great. But that is me and everyone likes there own thing, so if you start to enjoy Insurgent more, don't go by what I say.

I ended up finishing the trilogy because I'd already bought all of the books and figured I might as well, but I definitely agree. They got a whole lot worse. I had a hard time pushing through Insurgent and the rest of Allegiant. Not my cup of tea, I guess. I wish I'd read the books a couple years ago, though, so I could've enjoyed them more. I think I would've loved them if I was ~16 or so. But oh well, it is what it is, and they look quite nice on my shelf! :)

I started on Heir of Fire today (from the Throne of Glass series). Loving it so far, although I'm not a big fan of Manon. I've heard booktubers gush about her, but for whatever reason, I just can't get interested in her chapters. Oh well. Still really good so far.

jtrylch13

Registered
Reaction score
I started on Heir of Fire today (from the Throne of Glass series). Loving it so far, although I'm not a big fan of Manon. I've heard booktubers gush about her, but for whatever reason, I just can't get interested in her chapters. Oh well. Still really good so far.

Manon is literally the only reason I may finish that series. She's awful in a way, but I kind of love her. As for Cealana & Rowan, I can't handle them. :Headbang:

Finished OF FIRE AND STARS by Audrey Coulthurst. It was really good. I was happy with the ending and the potential for a sequel, while it not being a terrible cliffhanger. All in all a wonderful, beautiful story.

Also read AS I DESCENDED by Robin Talley. I wasn;t sure I was going to like it, because it starts off with the getting back at the mean girl plot, which I generally abhor, but it turned around and got really good. Probably not something I'll read again, but very dark and scary. I definitely felt some shivers up my spine at different times.

Not sure what I'm going to read next. I don't want to start another paper book because I'm leaving Friday morning for DC and I need to limit what I take, so I'm thinking of my Kindle. And I'm not sure what's on there (a lot of books!) so I'll just pick on the plane I guess. Besides, it'll induce me to do more research work if I don't have a book to read today and tomorrow. :)