What YA book are you reading RIGHT NOW?, issue 2

pinkbowvintage

♔
Registered
Reaction score
I'm absolutely obsessed with THE SACRED LIES OF MINNOW BLY. Oh my gosh, this book is so dark and moving and real! I'm more than halfway done and I'm just ugh. Love it. Highly recommend if you like dark YA.

- - - Updated - - -

Reading THE FEM@LE OF THE SPECIES. Damn, this is a good book. Not a ton has happened so far (except in backstory, where something horrible happened), but there's a subtly menacing atmosphere that is giving me chills. Also, the writing is really smart and economical. Much said without wasted words.

Okay I already had that on my to-read list but now I am reserving a copy at the library. You should write book blurbs haha

be frank

not a bloke, not named frank
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
I'm about halfway through Georgia Peaches, which I started b/c of all the love here. I'm enjoying it, but I'm also a bit disappointed because people keep saying (unironically) how brave and selfless Jo's being for doing what she's doing for her dad ... but IMO hiding who she is and pretending to be something she's not is the complete opposite of brave, and she's not being selfless so much as her dad's being really selfish. Ugh. I dunno. I'm liking it enough to finish, but I'm not overly enamoured so far.

I'm absolutely obsessed with THE SACRED LIES OF MINNOW BLY. Oh my gosh, this book is so dark and moving and real! I'm more than halfway done and I'm just ugh. Love it. Highly recommend if you like dark YA.

Oooh, is that the one with the hands?

Reading THE FEM@LE OF THE SPECIES. Damn, this is a good book. Not a ton has happened so far (except in backstory, where something horrible happened), but there's a subtly menacing atmosphere that is giving me chills. Also, the writing is really smart and economical. Much said without wasted words.

Okay, this is definitely now my next to be read. I adored Not a Drop to Drink and everyone seems in agreement about this one.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Second star on the right and on 'til morning.
Website
atsiko.wordpress.com
I'm about halfway through Georgia Peaches, which I started b/c of all the love here. I'm enjoying it, but I'm also a bit disappointed because people keep saying (unironically) how brave and selfless Jo's being for doing what she's doing for her dad ... but IMO hiding who she is and pretending to be something she's not is the complete opposite of brave, and she's not being selfless so much as her dad's being really selfish. Ugh. I dunno. I'm liking it enough to finish, but I'm not overly enamoured so far.

Yeah, it didn't seem brave and selfless to me, nor did she seem to see it that way. Her dad is being super selfish and he causes a lot of trouble for one of the other characters, and makes his daughter into a liar who also hurts other people. Gross.

atabugl

Registered
Reaction score

Yes! This one was recommended in my local indie, so I picked it up yesterday and have been reading it every chance I get. A little more than halfway through it now and I'm loving it. The atmosphere is spot-on for the chill-factor, and the writing style works so well for it.

Also picked up and read your book the other week ;) Loved it!

Kaylinn57

Insert snarky comment here
Registered
Reaction score
Finished SPINNING STARLIGHT yesterday. I really enjoyed the book. It was well written and the author handled the MC not speaking part of the retelling very well. That's probably the hardest part of that entire fairy tale and I was really impressed with how she handled it. It was a nice futuristic retelling.

I started SOUNDLESS by Richelle Mead and am enjoying it so far. I may set it aside for a bit though cause my copy of CROOKED KINGDOM is arriving either today or tomorrow and I can't wait to read it.

pinkbowvintage

♔
Registered
Reaction score

Oooh, is that the one with the hands?

YES! It's a very intense read, emotionally and psychologically. I'm loving it.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished Dove Arising, by Karen Bao and I'm starting Dove Exiled. First book was pretty good. Main character is 15, I'm more of a 17-18 year old character fan but it wasn't an issue. I'm always interested in books that are different from the one I'm writing and can expand my horizons. The last few chapters are intense emotional discourse. I need to put more paragraphs of introspection into my novel. And the story is enjoyable. Two thumbs up.

Last edited:

The_Ink_Goddess

we're gonna make it out of the fire
Registered
Reaction score
has anyone read any Am@nd@ P@n1tch? I'm part of the way into D@mage D0ne & considering DNF-ing it…it's so implausible! I've not even reached the twist yet. I guess I'm wondering if anyone thinks I should stick with it and/or try N£V£R M1SS1NG, N£V£R F0UND?

Ellaroni

Registered
Reaction score
has anyone read any Am@nd@ P@n1tch? I'm part of the way into D@mage D0ne & considering DNF-ing it…it's so implausible! I've not even reached the twist yet. I guess I'm wondering if anyone thinks I should stick with it and/or try N£V£R M1SS1NG, N£V£R F0UND?

I read DD, and also considered DNF-ing it, but trudged through it and managed to like it better. If not for the plot, then for the way the author left clues and such. It's also a good study of an unreliable narrator.

I just started David Arnold's KIDS OF APPETITE. Didn't like the opening chapter, but I suspect I'll get into the style soon enough.

hester

New year, new avatar.
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished THE SACRED LIES OF MINNOW BLY and OMG...what a great book. Loved it!

Kaylinn57

Insert snarky comment here
Registered
Reaction score
Set aside SOUNDLESS for a bit because CROOKED KINGDOM finally came. I'm enjoying it so far, but I'm not far in. Still, it's looking good. I'm very excited to see how this duology turns out.

be frank

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
You know that horrible sinking feeling you get in your gut when you start to read a book and all you can think is, "OMFG. One day, someone, somewhere is going to read my book and think I have totally ripped off a character/plot from this other book even though I've been writing my own damn book for a couple of years now and I have only just read this one and oh my god I'm going to cry"?

So ... I started The Female of the Species.

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the corner, banging my head against the wall. Repeatedly.

:Headbang:

edutton

Ni. Peng. Neee-Wom.
Registered
Reaction score
You know that horrible sinking feeling you get in your gut when you start to read a book and all you can think is, "OMFG. One day, someone, somewhere is going to read my book and think I have totally ripped off a character/plot from this other book even though I've been writing my own damn book for a couple of years now and I have only just read this one and oh my god I'm going to cry"?

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the corner, banging my head against the wall. Repeatedly.

I felt a bit of that when I read Dating Sarah Cooper, definitely.

be frank

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
I felt a bit of that when I read Dating Sarah Cooper, definitely.

I'm hopeful it has just enough similarities to be able to use it as a comp. But it's disconcerting for sure.

On the upside, as far as book reads go, I'm enjoying this one a hell of a lot more than Georgia Peaches. I had some major issues with how things were handled in that one.

KellyWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Anything written by R.L. Stine. He's my all time fave! I began reading his books at age ten Goosebumps and Fear Street. I'm thirty-five now and I'm currently working on a YA horror novel. I pick up an R.L. Stine book to give me inspiration and to get some insight as I just started writing again so I'm a bit rusty.

Fuchsia Groan

Becoming a laptop-human hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Also picked up and read your book the other week ;) Loved it!

*blushes* Thank you SO much! That means a lot to me.

Oh no! Is this the book you're querying? Because, based on that query, I wouldn't say it sounds similar at all. If it's just the concept behind the protagonist (I'm being vague to avoid spoiling the first chapter here) ... well, I think YA needs MORE female protagonists like that. :) And one could argue the concept has already been "done" in various forms before FOTS — just generally not with teen girl characters. A certain popular book/TV series jumps to mind.

dancing-drama

Priestly Up!
Registered
Reaction score
Do it. I need other people to feel my pain over it being a duology and not a further series. I've never loved an ensemble cast so much in a book in my life.

Ok, so it took a while. I squeezed in A COURT OF MIST AND FURY - which I previously tried to read but didn't finish because I suck. But now I started SIX OF CROWS... and now I can relate to this:

For heaven's sake, the first 50 pages are almost congruent with the start of my NaNoWriMo... Except they're so much better.
Excuse me while I try not to go crazy.

Windcutter

Registered
Reaction score

Oh I had that feeling when I finished Red Queen. Not so much because of the plot, though some similarities could be found there, too, but because if I finished writing that wip, it would have looked like some RQ fanfiction--the setting is terribly similar down to a certain twist. The powers, the social structures, a certain secret place, and the true reason behind it all.

be frank

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
Oh no! Is this the book you're querying? Because, based on that query, I wouldn't say it sounds similar at all. If it's just the concept behind the protagonist (I'm being vague to avoid spoiling the first chapter here) ... well, I think YA needs MORE female protagonists like that. :) And one could argue the concept has already been "done" in various forms before FOTS — just generally not with teen girl characters. A certain popular book/TV series jumps to mind.

Yep, that's the one (I'm currently reworking the second half of it, so I haven't started querying yet). :) The similarities are definitely more in characterization than plot, but I'm feeling more relaxed about it now I've finished FTOS (which I loved, btw). I think they diverged enough to be able to use it as a comp down the track.

dancing-drama said:
For heaven's sake, the first 50 pages are almost congruent with the start of my NaNoWriMo... Except they're so much better. Excuse me while I try not to go crazy.

Oh, how annoying!

Anyway, I feel better after reading all your replies. Thanks, folks. :)

Loverofwords

Registered
Reaction score
Finished HOLDING UP THE UNIVERSE by Jennifer Niven. I loved ALL THE BRIGHT PLACES, so I was excited to read this and it did not disappoint in the slightest. The writing was once again fantastic and had me flying through, and the voices were wonderful. Now I have to wait impatiently for her next book...

Starting GEMINA soon. I read the first few pages and wasn't too into it, so I hope it gets better.

Windcutter

Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading Rebel of the Sands half a year later than the rest of the world. It is a desert fantasy like several recent ones (seems to be a mini-trend), but oh so refreshing. No rapey romance. No villainous love interests with sob stories. No passive protagonists who claim to have big plans but spend the whole book mooning over a suspicious boy. Okay, there is a suspicious boy in there, but their relationship is a sweet and slow-burning one and it's... how should I put it? it's more of a mix of friendship and attraction than a traditional romantic 'man and woman alone on the road' trope. If it makes any sense. The trust between them is more important than anything.
There are also original elements in the worldbuilding, the setting doesn't feel like it's simply based on some real place and time. It's recognizable but also different, an appealing mix of magic and iron that made me want to see the rest of the world.