What YA book are you reading RIGHT NOW?, issue 2

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
What a happy weekend of reading for me. Three 5-star books (okay, one was 4.5) in a row.

Now I am only currently reading a book I'm not about to sit down and just read for hours, so it's time to decide what to read. On the Kindle, I want something that will take me longer than the Selection series books tend to take me. Obviously, being a Kindle, even if I finish a book on vacation, I'll have access to more, but still, I'd like to not have to search for stuff while there.

I have plenty of books still on my TBR shelf (though it is currently not overflowing!), so my next physical book will be one of those.

Holding off on an audiobook (spoilers: it will be THE RETURN OF THE KING) until I come back from vacation. Unless I get bored at work.

Fuchsia Groan

Becoming a laptop-human hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
I extended my cult theme with THE GIRLS, which is not YA. If you want a good example of how to write a book with a (mostly) 14-year-old MC that is still unquestionably an adult book, I recommend that one. (I totally would have read the book as a teen, myself, but it's a retrospective narrative in a literary style: adult looking back on teen years. Lots of reflection on teen thought processes that would never appear in a YA novel.)

Next I have some A.S. King books to catch up on, since I loved I CRAWL THROUGH IT.

RJDrake

Registered
Reaction score
Just finished reading the Asylum trilogy by Madeleine Roux. I really enjoyed the first book with the tension and sense of insecurity but at the third one I just kept on reading because I had gotten so far and wanted to know how it ended.

Currently, under a friend's advice, I'm reading The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold. I can't decide if I like it or not. I must admit that I saw the movie a couple of years ago so in substance I know what happens throughout the story which spoils it a bit but I do like the whole heaven and survivors concept.

I think that next I might either re-read Sweep by Cate Tiernan or start Awake/Lost in the Museum by Melanie Surani. Awake isn't really a YA but has a quite appealing plot.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Currently reading:

Kindle: A LONG LONG SLEEP by Anna Sheehan and A DARKER SHADE OF MAGIC by V.E. Schwab
Hardcover: SCYTHE by Neal Shusterman and MAXIMUM RIDE by James Patterson
Audiobook: (nothing right now)
Mine for fun: MASTER/PUPPET

foxesfairytales

Registered
Reaction score
I'm currently reading:
Audiobook: The Ghost Bride by Yangsze Choo
Kindle: Flame in the Mist by Renee Ahdieh
Comic: Monstress by Marjorie M. Liu

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Kindle: A LONG LONG SLEEP by Anna Sheehan and A DARKER SHADE OF MAGIC by V.E. Schwab
Hardcover: SCYTHE by Neal Shusterman and MAXIMUM RIDE by James Patterson
Audiobook: THE RETURN OF THE KING by J.R.R. Tolkien

I'm basically hate-reading Maximum Ride at this point.

Matt T.

Registered
Reaction score
I started reading the Lunar Chronicles on my Kindle and am up to Cress so far. I'm genuinely surprised at how much I'm enjoying it, since I just bought the first book on a whim when it was on sale on Amazon for $2 a while back.

Fuchsia Groan

Registered
Reaction score
Full disclosure: I know the author online (same debut group), but I want to talk about the ARC of THE M3MORY TREES by K@li Wallace that I'm about to finish because it's so creepy and gorgeous. It's less plot-driven and horror-y than her first book, but it packs a ton of emotional impact as a story about family history and depression. It would make a great pairing with a certain AW'er's book that I read recently in ms. form and loved. :)

Also read GL0RY O'BRIEN'S HISTORY OF THE FUTURE, which was excellent.

JRMcCarty

Registered
Reaction score
Just finished Megan Whalen Turner's The Thief, which I meant to read ages ago and never got around it. I now deeply regret having waited this long. Great pacing, and a wonderful unreliable narrator.

borogove

Registered
Reaction score
Binged at the library this weekend and it was glorious. Wrapped up The Lunar Chronicles yesterday, started Ruby Red last night, and will tuck into The Fate of the Tearling tonight. Am also looking forward to starting The Weight of Feathers—it's been on my to-read list for a while.

In non-YA reads, Paula Hawkins's Into the Water is sitting on my nightstand.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Kindle: A DARKER SHADE OF MAGIC by V.E. Schwab
Hardcover: SCYTHE by Neal Shusterman, THE DOOR IN THE ALLEY by Adrienne Kress, and MAXIMUM RIDE by James Patterson
Audiobook: HARRY POTTER AND THE PRISONER OF AZKABAN by JK Rowling

I gave up on A LONG LONG SLEEP because it couldn't hold my interest.

HP as an audiobook is an interesting experience. Some of Harry's more teenage-ish selfish decisions are really striking me, maybe because I'm forced to hear them in an adult voice. Jim Dale, btw, is an excellent narrator. However, his voices leave something to be desired. Hermione's voice in particular is breathy and whiny. And it's weird because when I read myself, I don't necessarily use the voices from the movies, but it seems wrong to not have my voice or the actors' voices for these characters. When I'm done with this, it'll be interesting to see if the desire to have the story and whimsy in my ear during driving and work hours wins over my annoyance at the character's voices and the cost of the future audiobooks.

Last edited:

ReignaFTW

Registered
Reaction score
Currently reading THIS SHATTERED WORLD by Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner. Hasn't hooked me as much as the first book in the trilogy (THESE BROKEN STARS...I adored the female MC), but I'm still enjoying it.

foxesfairytales

Registered
Reaction score
Sage: If Dale annoys you, maybe try the Stephen Fry version? I've not listened to either but I've seen a lot of people say that they prefer Fry.

I'm reading Furthermore by Tahereh Mafi for the Ramadan readathon and I just started Every Heart a Doorway by Seanan McGuire. Both are pretty good so far. I'm also reading The Handmaid's Tale (not YA) because I really want to finish it before I watch the series.

Melody

Writer of MG, YA and Adult
Registered
Reaction score
In the middle of HATTIE BIG SKY. I guess I'm leaning toward historical fiction lately.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Sage: If Dale annoys you, maybe try the Stephen Fry version? I've not listened to either but I've seen a lot of people say that they prefer Fry.

I don't think they have Fry's versions on iTunes.

Of course, for the price of these books and the rate I'll go through these particular ones, it might be worth it to get an audible account.

Fuchsia Groan

Registered
Reaction score
Finished IMAGINARY GIRLS by Nova Ren Suma, the first YA she wrote and the last I've read. I loved loved loved it. Reading an ARC of B3ING FISHKILL by Ruth L3hrer. It's the rare contemp YA that really delves into class difference, and it has me hooked (unplanned pun, sorry :) ).

airandarkness

Registered
Reaction score
Just finished SOUNDLESS by Richelle Mead. It was a good read, but I was hoping for more from it somehow. More in the worldbuilding, more in the plot, more in the characters. I've never read Richelle Mead before, so it's tough to say how it measures up to the rest of her work.

Now I'm going to start EMPRESS OF A THOUSAND SKIES by Rhoda Belleza. I have a lot of YA sci-fit sitting on my to-read shelf but haven't really tackled most of it yet, so I figured I'd get started on one of them.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I loved Jim Dale's reading of HP. Listened to the entire series a book at a time on long journeys. I don't recall being bothered by any of his voices. But I know exactly what you mean because it's common for me to be annoyed at some of the audio book narrators when they do an irritating other gender voice.

Reading The Forgetting by Sharon Cameron. I wasn't sure I was going to like it from the story premise but it turns out I love it so far (half way through).

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, so apparently American readers can't buy the Stephen Fry versions, even through Audible, where they're listed until you become a member located in the US. Oh, well, guess I'll just suffer through Hermione's breathy, scolding whine.

At least the narration is magical, as I would expect from Dale.

I don't think they have Fry's versions on iTunes.

Of course, for the price of these books and the rate I'll go through these particular ones, it might be worth it to get an audible account.

Last edited:

edutton

Ni. Peng. Neee-Wom.
Registered
Reaction score
I found this link the last time this question came up, but I don't remember if it actually worked for the person (or who it was for... :)) If it does work, it's a heck of a deal...

hester

New year, new avatar.
Registered
Reaction score
I recently finished WHAT GIRLS ARE MADE OF and INFANDOUS by Elana K. Arnold--amazing, dark, and gritty. Also THINGS WE HAVE IN COMMON by Tasha Kavanaugh--so, so freaking good.

foxesfairytales

Registered
Reaction score
Audiobook: EVERY HEART A DOORWAY by Seanan McGuire
Kindle: SUNBOLT by Intisar Khanani
Paperback: FURTHERMORE by Tahereh Mafi

All fantasy but all very different. :)

foxesfairytales

Registered
Reaction score
Finished EVERY HEART A DOORWAY & SUNBOLT and absolutely loved them both.

Currently reading:
THE DARKEST PART OF THE FOREST by Holly Black
FAILURE TO COMMUNICATE by Kaia Sønderby
WARRIOR edited by Antonica Jones

writeonleanne

señora vaca
Registered
Reaction score
About to start listening to DEFY OUR STARS by Claudia Gray. Pretty excited about it—I don't read a lot of YA scifi, but this looks excellent.