What YA book are you reading RIGHT NOW?, issue 2

kclaw

Registered
Reaction score
Not sure if this counts as YA, but I'm reading LUCKIEST GIRL ALIVE (which alternates between the MC at 28 and the MC at 14). It's gotten some very polarized reviews on Goodreads, so I'm curious to see how it pans out. I'm really enjoying the writing, but the MC is...a bit difficult :).

I read LUCKIEST GIRL ALIVE earlier this year, and thought it did what it set out to do pretty well. I wasn't expecting it to get as dark as it did, though. I agree with Fuschia that the adult MC's development/change is key. If you can handle the character long enough to make it to the end of the book, you might find her arc satisfying!

I am about a hundred pages from the end of THE 5th WAVE right now, and just trying to finish it before the person I borrowed it from starts banging on my door demanding it back. I am more interested in Cassie's storyline than those of the other characters; I plan to at least finish the book, but I don't know if I'll continue with the rest of the series (which is probably a good thing for my relationship with the person who is lending them to me, tbh).

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Kindle: A DARKER SHADE OF MAGIC by V.E. Schwab
Hardcover: WANT by Cindy Pon and THE DREAM THIEVES by Maggie Stiefvater
Audiobook: HARRY POTTER AND THE HALF-BLOOD PRINCE by JK Rowling

DianneM

Registered
Reaction score
I just started DOROTHY MUST DIE, it's been on my list forever ��

I enjoyed that series. I was disappointed that book 3 wasn't the last one though. I was hoping for some resolution. I'm not sure if the 4th one has come out yet.

I plowed 3 books in the last week:
The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern
Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell
Carry On by Rainbow Rowell

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
I've just finished GIRLHOOD by Cat Clarke, which I enjoyed although the ending is a bit of a cop out.

MM

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Kindle: A DARKER SHADE OF MAGIC by V.E. Schwab and ANNE OF GREEN GABLES by L.M. Montgomery
Paperback: THE DREAM THIEVES by Maggie Stiefvater
Audiobook: HARRY POTTER AND THE DEATHLY HALLOWS by JK Rowling (tomorrow when I get a new credit to download it)

hester

New year, new avatar.
Registered
Reaction score
THE GENTLEMAN'S GUIDE TO VICE AND VIRTUE. Loving it!!!!!

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I grabbed Truthwitch off my shelf, but decided I couldn't do another high-magic fantasy at this time. So I'm probably going to start Firstlife, which has the bonus of being a hardcover (since my other physical book is a paperback (and missing :( ))

pinkbowvintage

♔
Registered
Reaction score
I'm currently finishing VIVIAN APPLE AT THE END OF THE WORLD, and while I mostly enjoyed it, it's not as good as I hoped it would be when I started.

I'm also reading WHITE LINES by Jennifer Banash, which I've been enjoying, and it's taking me forever to finish RABBIT EARS by Maggie de Vries. It's a fascinating book, it's just so disturbing that I have to take breaks.

Peggles

Registered
Reaction score
I am reading Hunted by Meagan Spooner. I'm really enjoying the writing quality so far, but I'm only about 20 pages in.

I was reading Strange the Dreamer by Laine Taylor, but it was due back to the library before I could finish it. I put another hold on it, and I'm dying to get back to it. I loved the Daughter of Smoke and Bone series, and I was loving this one, too.

On my TBR soon: Victoria Schwab's This Savage Song. I thought A Darker Shade of Magic was decent, but I'm excited about this concept, so I am reading that befor the ADSM sequel.

PickleHeartsBooks

Registered
Reaction score
I just started reading The Shadow Cabinet which is the third book in the Shades of London series by Maureen Johnson. Such a great series with not enough hype, in my opinion!
I also just recently read Eliza and her Monsters which I LOVED with all my heart. Any writer, artist, or fandom member would realllly appreciate it. I loved it so very, very much.

jtrylch13

Has semi-colon; will use it!
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished AMERICAN STREET by Ibi Zoboi. It was really good, but sad. I mean, I expected it. It's just that kind of book where you know there won't be a perfectly happy ending. But still, it was really good.

Now I'm reading BROWN GIRL DREAMING by Jaqueline Woodson

Fuchsia Groan

Becoming a laptop-human hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
PO1NTE by Br@ndy Colbert. I do love ballet books with something creepy or thriller-y going on, and this has a nice slow, believable build that I really enjoy.

Bought today in PB: AND I D@RKEN, VANISHING G1RLS.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I feel like the author of FIRSTLIFE read THE LOVE INTEREST and took it literally as the way to make LIs interact with the MC.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Kindle: TIMEKEEPER by Tara Sim
Audiobook: HARRY POTTER AND THE DEATHLY HALLOWS by JK Rowling

Decided to DNF Firstlife. I just never got over the things that were annoying me and never found anything (beyond the cover and the concept) to fall in love with

Ellaroni

Registered
Reaction score
I'm embarking on a journey with two AWers' books: first, the ARC of oceansoul's THE TIGER'S WATCH and then Becca's MAYBE IN PARIS. :hooray: Becca's book was waiting for me in the mail when I came home from vacation :)

borogove

Registered
Reaction score
Wrapped up Dream a Little Dream by Kerstin Gier; The Girl from Everywhere by Heidi Heilig (I have title envy); Passenger by Alexandra Bracken; The Game of Love and Death by Martha Brockenbrough (loved, LOVED this); and a beta read. Now chomping through Every Heart a Doorway (everyone's right—it's special); The Darkest Minds by Alex Bracken; and another beta read.

jekwrites

Registered
Reaction score
I'm currently reading Throne of Glass by Sarah J Maas (I know, late to the party) But I'm completely loving it! Her ACOTAR series was one of my favorite things of recent memory.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Kindle: TIMEKEEPER by Tara Sim
Hardcover: DIVIDING EDEN by Joelle Charbonneau

I just finished the audiobook of THE PEARL THIEF, which is a prequel to CODE NAME: VERITY. It's a lot lighter (not taking place in a Nazi prison helps). It follows Julie (Queenie) when she's 15. Amazingly, although the narrator is different from the one who read Julie's part of CNV, she did just as great a job, and I believed she was the same person. The story is a mystery. It's not as deep or dark or heartbreaking as CNV. I mean, how could it be? But there's Julie and Jamie, and Julie makes great relationships in this book too. There are just tiny bits of Julie's skills in CNV that show up here from time to time too.

OTOH, I just finished listening to most of the Harry Potters, and it's really hard to compare any audiobook to the joy of just being able to listen to that magical world while working or driving or vacuuming or whatever.

Haven't decided what to listen to now.

Julia Joy

Registered
Reaction score
I got a sampler for Children of Blood and Bone by Tomi Adeyemi at San Diego Comic Con and I just finished reading it today. Looking forward to that one very much.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I met Tomi at Cindy Pon's launch for WANT! Very excited for her book.

Julia Joy

Registered
Reaction score
Yes! I met her after her panel as well. I'm very glad they put her on that panel (with Leigh Bardugo and Michael Dimartino of Avatar: The Last Airbender fame). It was well-deserved exposure. And the cover is just gorgeous.

& I think I'm going to start reading Kiersten White's Now I Rise tonight, which I've been saving for a rainy day.

Ellaroni

Registered
Reaction score
I read AWer Rebecca Christiansen's debut MAYBE IN PARIS, and it was wonderful!!! I laughed and I cried, and I found the protagonist to be very very real.