What YA book are you reading RIGHT NOW?, issue 2

RoseDG

Registered
Reaction score
Just read SHIVER for the first time. Got it on Kindle because the colored text in the physical book seemed hard on the eyes.

It was awesome, and I promptly read the sequel, LINGER.

Also recently read a duology called TIME AND TIME AGAIN -- it's a combo edition of TIME BETWEEN US and TIME AFTER TIME. Great book about a time traveling guy from 2012 and the girl he falls in love with, who lives in 1995.

yoghurtelf

yoghurt elf say wheeee!
Registered
Reaction score
I was one of those who felt a bit 'meh' about the SHIVER series, possibly because I wasn't madly in love with the hero. I still liked it enough to read the whole thing though! In my review at the time I said, "It was better than just okay."

RoseDG

Registered
Reaction score
I was one of those who felt a bit 'meh' about the SHIVER series, possibly because I wasn't madly in love with the hero. I still liked it enough to read the whole thing though! In my review at the time I said, "It was better than just okay."

I don't have to be madly in love with the hero -- I just have to be convinced he's right for the heroine.

yoghurtelf

yoghurt elf say wheeee!
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I guess my point was that I didn't really care about their relationship. And I thought he was creepy when he spied on her before they started talking. :p I liked Isabelle and Cole more. Also, the story in general was a bit slow and not action packed enough for my liking, as I mentioned in my reviews. But I did like it enough to read all three books. I now know there's a 4th book but am not sure if I can be bothered reading that.

It's good to have varying opinions anyway :)

Last edited:

RoseDG

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I guess my point was that I didn't really care about their relationship. And I thought he was creepy when he spied on her before they started talking. :p I liked Isabelle and Cole more. Also, the story in general was a bit slow and not action packed enough for my liking, as I mentioned in my reviews. But I did like it enough to read all three books. I now know there's a 4th book but am not sure if I can be bothered reading that.

It's good to have varying opinions anyway :)

The fourth book is all Isabelle and Cole, from what I hear.

A wolf watching from the woods doesn't bother me, especially since he kind of had to keep an eye on her in case she shifted -- seems to me someone from the pack would have kept an eye on her because of the weird lack of the expected shift.

Cole's drug use is a hard pill for me to swallow. But his arc is compelling. :)

yoghurtelf

yoghurt elf say wheeee!
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm not into druggies either, definitely don't think it's cool!

Not sure if I'll read book #4 as I was quite happy with where the series ended, BUT who knows, I probably will eventually.

Watching from the woods is okay, but he watched her when she was in the shower too! That kinda gave me the heebies.

RoseDG

Registered
Reaction score
I forgot the shower bit -- was that as a human or a wolf? I'm hard to creep out, I suppose. *shrug*

Now I'm reading THE RAVEN BOYS.

yoghurtelf

yoghurt elf say wheeee!
Registered
Reaction score
The shower bit was as as wolf, so yeah, a little less creepy, but still it was HIM ;)

I've heard good things about THE RAVEN CYCLE series from someone who also felt a bit 'meh' about SHIVER et al, so I'm definitely intending to read that series. :)

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Hardcopy: WILLFUL MACHINES by Tim Floreen
Kindle: HALF LIFE by S.L Huang
Audiobook: A GENTLEMAN'S GUIDE TO VICE AND VIRTUE by Mackenzie Lee

I have 1 more book to meet my 100-book goal in 2017. I can't make the audiobook happen, and HL seems to be taking forever (Seemingly longer since it's three-books-in-one on a Kindle, so I can't gauge how much is left), so my guess would be that WM will be the 100th book in 2017, unless I cheat and find another novella.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
I've started reading HOW TO HANG A WITCH by Adriana Mather, which I'm not feeling right now. I feel that I've seen enough unaccountably clumsy female MCs and the behaviour of both her and a number of other characters (notably the teachers) aren't particularly believable. A shame because I like the idea of a story tying back to the Salem Witch Trials but this is just too cliched for me at the moment.

MM

avsong

Registered
Reaction score
I just started THE GOLDEN COMPASS by Philip Pullman, which I have never read before—I know, super late to the game on this one.

ValerieJane

Registered
Reaction score
I recently had to abandon THE RAVEN BOYS... The premise was interesting enough, but it just didn't grab me for some reason. Not sure why, either, as it seemed right up my alley... I've recently read a string of 'meh' books and I'm looking for the next thing to blow my mind, I guess.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Dear Martin by Nic Stone. It feels glib to compare it to The Hate U Give, but they're rather similar and cover a lot of the same ground. And like THUG, it's an entertaining read in spite of the heaviness of the subject matter. And you should read both! ;)

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Hardcopy: WILLFUL MACHINES by Tim Florin and STRANGE THE DREAMER by Laini Taylor
Kindle: THE WINNER'S CURSE by Marie Rutkoski
Audiobook: A GENTLEMAN'S GUIDE TO VICE AND VIRTUE by Mackenzie Lee and ARTEMIS by Andy Weir

I'm kinda over YA audiobooks right now. Something about my expectations of pacing and how the pacing is actually going (especially in regards to the love drama that always shows up) in the ones I listened to last year really turned me off. It might have been an unfortunate bit of timing, where I got back to YA audiobooks just as headphones were banned in my lab, so that I was only listening to half an hour at a time in my car instead of to hours in the lab so that it was harder to get through the parts that dragged, but whatever the reason, I'm taking a hiatus from new YA audiobooks for a while. This does not mean I won't be listening to ones I've listened to before and know I love. It does mean that AGGtV&V is probably going to be on hold until I can get a good long time period to listen.

Mary Love

Registered
Reaction score
The Beauty of Darkness by Mary E. Pearson. The final installment in the Remnant Chronicles, and it's beefy! I've been reading these as they've come out, so it's taken a bit to catch up. I prefer to get into a good book series that's already all out. But that's just me being greedy, and this is a great read!

Also, When Dimple met Rishi by Sandhya Menon. Slow start, but cute. Not sure yet...

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Hardcopy: WILLFUL MACHINES by Tim Florin and STRANGE THE DREAMER by Laini Taylor
Kindle: THE WINNER'S CURSE by Marie Rutkoski
Audiobook: A GENTLEMAN'S GUIDE TO VICE AND VIRTUE by Mackenzie Lee and ARTEMIS by Andy Weir

I'm kinda over YA audiobooks right now. Something about my expectations of pacing and how the pacing is actually going (especially in regards to the love drama that always shows up) in the ones I listened to last year really turned me off. It might have been an unfortunate bit of timing, where I got back to YA audiobooks just as headphones were banned in my lab, so that I was only listening to half an hour at a time in my car instead of to hours in the lab so that it was harder to get through the parts that dragged, but whatever the reason, I'm taking a hiatus from new YA audiobooks for a while. This does not mean I won't be listening to ones I've listened to before and know I love. It does mean that AGGtV&V is probably going to be on hold until I can get a good long time period to listen.

AGGtV&V was silly fun but not my cuppa, I think I've become allergic to Georgian/Victorian YA at some point, looking for the book that'll cure that but haven't found it yet. Would love to hear your thoughts on Strange the Dreamer, I have a lot of respect for Laini and her particular brand of weirdness.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Dread Nation by Justine Ireland. Another instance of a YA book where I personally couldn't get into it, but I reccommend everyone check it out and decide for themselves. An alternate, Reconstruction-era America with zombies, which is a damn solid premise, the MC is a mixed-race woman trained to hunt the dead and enrolled in a zombie-hunting academy based on the Carlisle Indian Schools. It handles the race and slavery issues well, I have complicated feelings on the matter but overall think it accomplishes what it sets forth to. Worldbuilding is solid, if not without it's annoyances, and the unique setting comes across very nicely.

I dunno, just didn't grab me at the moment. Might come back to it. I'm starting to realize that I'm only interested in adult fiction if it's speculative, and only interested in teen fiction if it's realistic.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Just picked up Truly, Devious by Maureen Johnson. I've been a fan of hers for some time because a) she's got the same name as my mother, therefore the best name, b) she loves her dog, c) she's does Comedy Twitter very well. And, in my galactic admiration for her, I realized I've never read any of her books. So I picked this up, and it's fantastic! The protag is a smartass teen at an elite prep school, and she begins looking into a mystery from the Thirties that's never been solved. Obviously, it's connected to events in modern day, and the past will not stay buried and yadda yadda yadda. High crossover with adult mystery, even if it feels authentically teen to me. It's gonna be a trilogy, I won't know how I feel about that until I finish the first book.

(I gotta stop claiming I don't read YA)

Rosanna Banana

Registered
Reaction score
I just started reading Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher. So far I can't put it down! I haven't read any YA in a while and I forgot how enjoyable they can be.

bookishwondertwins

Registered
Reaction score
Just finished Everless by Sarah Holland, which was GORGEOUS and way better than I was expecting it to be. Starting Demon King by Cinda Williams Chima now. Read her Flamecaster series and loved it. Next up is Reign of the Fallen by Sarah Glenn Marsh.

thereeness

Registered
Reaction score
All of them. *nodnod-

TEMPESTS AND SLAUGHTER by Tamora Pierce
SHADOWSONG by S. Jae-Jones
THE BELLES by Dhonielle Clayton

And another book that's not really YA, but I've also got SHE REGRETS NOTHING by Andrea Dunlop to read through. :D Super excited!

Hbooks

Registered
Reaction score
PERFECT by Cecelia Ahern. I'm into dystopians at the moment.
ISLA AND THE HAPPILY EVER AFTER by Stephanie Perkins. This whole series is just so cute.
HISTORY IS ALL YOU LEFT ME by Adam Silvera.

The Otter

Friendly Neighborhood Mustelid
Registered
Reaction score
In the room next to the noisy ice machine, for all
I just finished THE LOVE LETTERS OF ABELARD AND LILY and would recommend it. It's a love story about two neuroatypical teens, so it was right up my wheelhouse. The cover makes it look a bit more cutesy and lighthearted than it actually is; it has a fair amount of humor in it but also deals with some weighty issues.