Boo by Rene Gutteridge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fictional Cowboy

Life is short. Live with purpose.
Registered
Reaction score
It's midnight as I'm writing this. I went to bed at 9:30pm to spend an hour reading before falling asleep. Instead, I'm wide awake, laughing, smiling and I can't stop reading this book. And, what's more, this isn't the first time I've read it. Instead of gently falling asleep, I'm having a delicious, middle of the night reading party.

Has anyone else read the Boo series by Rene Gutteridge? It was first published by Waterbrook Press in 2003. That's when I first read it and I find myself still reading it in 2014. Here it is on Amazon. I typed out the synopsis on the back cover at the bottom of my post.

The reviews were fairly good, especially among Christian circles. The writing may not be that of the Great American Novel but, the characters, the town, the story... all priceless to me. I can't remember the last time I've loved a novel so much. Yet, even though this book received some buzz when it was new, I'm personally saddened because I've never met anyone else who's read the series. Her characters are unforgettable and the story is very creative and wonderfully told.

I've written to the author several times and she always responds with utter sincerity and kindness. No form letters or pat responses. She's personable and grateful. Her body of work is impressive and I enjoy it all. In our last conversation she asked me to pray because Boo could possibly be made into a movie.

If anyone here has read the books, I would love to know what you think about them. Both as a reader and as a writer. Part of me can't help but wonder - if this is the kind of book I thoroughly love to read and write, and it's not considered memorable by others, what chance do I have with my novel? This is where my insecurity lies. Have you ever loved a book that wasn't a big hit but it's the kind of story you long to write?

Synopsis: The biggest thing to happen to Skary, Indiana, is renowned horror novelist Wolfe Boone -- or "Boo," as the locals fondly call him. For the past sixteen years, the reclusive writer has been the town's greatest attraction, having unintentionally turned the once-struggling Skary into a thriving toruist-trap for the dark side: from the Haunted Mansion restaurant, famous for its "bloody fingers" (fries splattered with ketchup), to Spooky's Bookstore (where employees dress like the walking dead).

But when a newly reformed Wolfe suddenly quits the genre and subsequently starts to pursue Skary's favorite girl-next-door, Ainsley Parker, the little town made famous by his writings becomes truly horrified. Soon a scheme is plotted to put the fright back into Skary - and get their most famous resident out of love and fall back into the thrill business.

Filled with humor, small town charm, and a gentle message of enduring faith, Boo shows how even the most colorful group of busybodies and hypocrites can become a community changed forever by God.

Fictional Cowboy

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, that's the same response I get when I ask the three-dimensional people around me if they've read this book. Crickets chirping. That's too bad.

Carrie in PA

Write All The Words!
Registered
Reaction score
LOL - Sorry about the crickets. I did click the link and read the synopsis and it does sound good. I DID put it on my list to look up through our library, $11ish for the kindle book is a little pricey for me.

Fictional Cowboy

Registered
Reaction score
LOL - Sorry about the crickets. I did click the link and read the synopsis and it does sound good. I DID put it on my list to look up through our library, $11ish for the kindle book is a little pricey for me.

I love ya forever for responding! Don't you just hate it when you love a book and there's nobody to talk to about it?

The first paragraph, which can be read on Amazon, if you're interested, really hooked me. I chuckled out loud.

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Crickets chirping. That's too bad.

^ DANG, impatient much? - We do have lives outside of AW, yanno. :D

Never heard of it, but it sounds interesting - Just might check it out - If I do, I'll get back with ya. ;)

Fictional Cowboy

Registered
Reaction score
^ DANG, impatient much? - We do have lives outside of AW, yanno. :D

Point taken. But yes, I'm impatient when it comes to things I'm excited about. I have the patience of Job when it comes to life in general but, when I'm excited, I get, well, excited!

Never heard of it, but it sounds interesting - Just might check it out - If I do, I'll get back with ya. ;)

Great! Thanks! .............. Have you read it yet? How about now? ;)

Fictional Cowboy

Registered
Reaction score
I know Rene (and you're right, she's great!) and I passed this on to her. :D

Thanks, Gravity. I sent Rene an e-mail awhile ago and she was gracious to respond. There's something about her work that really resonates with me and, whenever I get into conversations about books, it's Rene's work I inevitably, constantly, and enthusiastically recommend. Boo is my favorite series of all time but her nonfiction is inspired. Listen is one of the most timely books for Christians today. God's put her on my heart to keep in prayer. He's definitely using her for His purposes.

If I could have lunch with one author, Rene is my first choice without hesitation.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Put it in my cart, Cowboy. :) I'll let you know when I read it.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Boo was the first book I read on vacation. Thanks, Cowboy, for the heads up on this one. Very sweet book. I loved the characters and the story. :)

Fictional Cowboy

Registered
Reaction score
Boo was the first book I read on vacation. Thanks, Cowboy, for the heads up on this one. Very sweet book. I loved the characters and the story. :)

I'm glad you liked it! It's a very sweet, light read. Don't you love the name Miss Missy Peeple? That first page cracked me up! There are four books in the series. Boo, Boo Who, Boo Hiss and Boo Humbug. It's like reading a Hallmark movie. Yes, I'm that corny.

I hope you had a great vacation!

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
I'll get another. The names were great. The whole town was a hoot. Took me a while to warm up to the MC, but it was a treat to read imperfect Christian characters. :)

Fictional Cowboy

Registered
Reaction score
I'll get another. The names were great. The whole town was a hoot. Took me a while to warm up to the MC, but it was a treat to read imperfect Christian characters. :)

From all the reviews I read, that was the most common dislike of the book. It takes a while to like Ainsley. She does start off a bit haughty. I always told people if they could make it past the first 100 pages, they'll see her change and grow.

In studying the writing of the book, the biggest thing I learned from it is to make your protagonist likable before showing their flaws.

There's been interest in turning Boo into a movie. The script has even been written. I would love the chance to cast that movie!

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
In studying the writing of the book, the biggest thing I learned from it is to make your protagonist likable before showing their flaws.

There's been interest in turning Boo into a movie. The script has even been written. I would love the chance to cast that movie!

Likable protagonists--this is where I sunk my boat with editors every time. *sigh* Ironic that I should criticize someone else's. :D

Who would you cast as Ainsely and Wolfe?

(And if Tom Cruise enters into this conversation, I'm out. :D)

Fictional Cowboy

Registered
Reaction score
LOL No Tom Cruise!

When it comes to casting, my very first impressions were Lea Thompson and Kevin Sorbo. (Judd Nelson would be a good choice, too.) They're all in their early to mid 50's but those are who I would love to see play Ainsley and Wolf.

Realistically, I'm sure they'd be younger characters. Given Wolf's success and notoriety, he wouldn't likely be about 36 or 38. Ainsley, who is smart, works as a waitress, and lives at home with her dad, seems to be younger and hasn't had her big moment yet where she starts down her life's road. Then again, she's there because she loves Skary. I'd guess she's as much as 9 or 10 years younger than Wolf. (These are just my impressions without knowing what the author's intentions were for their ages.)

I'd have to consider who I'd cast for this age range. But I can definitely see Lea Thompson and Kevin Sorbo playing Ainsley and Wolf.

Status
Not open for further replies.