The AW Amazon Store
Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: [Publisher] Chupa Cabra House

Sockpuppet

[Publisher] Chupa Cabra House

I would like to report Chupa Cabra House and publisher Timm Tayshun, an indie publisher who is really bad news. He is in Arkansas. His contracts on anthologies offer free copies of books ad percentages of royalties. He pays neither. When asked, he makes up ridiculous numbers like “you have only sold seven books” when I KNOW members of my family have bought more. I have even done contests and asked people to take selfies with books. He refuses to show any documentation. One author has been told it will take 575 sales just to break even - through Smashwords. The books that I have I purchased directly from Amazon - at retail Now without paying off on one book, he is sending out contracts for a sequel making the same ridiculous offer. Nobody will ever see a book or a dime from him. I am told by some people that he says he finances his book business by selling pot. If so, I am offended at that. He recently took a book of mine off Amazon. I had no contract with him. He claims to have a five year contract. This is not true. This was the first book I did and I was so excited I never bothered with a contract. Now other publishers are afraid to touch it even though it is an award winning book because of legalities. He does not want to publish it but refuses to send me a letter clearing me to sell it elsewhere. People need to be warned. He goes by the name of Timm Tayshun but his real name is Tim Parker. He does horrible work and I had to have someone completely reformat for me at the last second. I have checked with his other authors. Nobody has received a cent or a book. PLEASE let people know he is a fraud. He doesn’t even pay the cover artists for their work. I am having to pay for one myself.
    Last edited by Montana Wildhack; 05-25-2014 at 05:35 AM.

Sorry to hear you had such a horrible experience. There are some real a**holes out there. Hope you get picked up by a legit publisher.
    Author of high-octane sci-fi, fantasy and horror!

www.tobytatestories.com Amazon

Represented by

Just another face in a red jumpsuit shelleyo's Avatar
    Chupa Cabra House website

Facebook

The books that I have I purchased directly from Amazon - at retail Now without paying off on one book, he is sending out contracts for a sequel making the same ridiculous offer. Nobody will ever see a book or a dime from him.
    On the facebook page, somebody did receive books from him. I'm not defending him, but it is there.

It goes without saying, I'm sure, but don't sign the contract.

He recently took a book of mine off Amazon. I had no contract with him. He claims to have a five year contract. This is not true. This was the first book I did and I was so excited I never bothered with a contract. Now other publishers are afraid to touch it even though it is an award winning book because of legalities. He does not want to publish it but refuses to send me a letter clearing me to sell it elsewhere.
    I'm fairly boggled at the idea of letting someone publish your book without signing a contract. You've been published, so I'm pretty surprised you would do that.

I found your book--really neat premise for stories. What award did it win? (Nevermind, found that.) It's not listed on the page. Unfortunately, the house name is on the cover, if not the page. I suppose you could explain it was published without a contract and you hold all rights. It's going to sound unlikely to most editors, though.

ETA: It wasn't your first publication, as you state here. Surely the other things you had published first had contracts?

People need to be warned. He goes by the name of Timm Tayshun but his real name is Tim Parker. He does horrible work and I had to have someone completely reformat for me at the last second. I have checked with his other authors. Nobody has received a cent or a book. PLEASE let people know he is a fraud. He doesn’t even pay the cover artists for their work. I am having to pay for one myself.
    The covers are uniformly bad, so I'm not surprised no one sells books. However, there is that picture of the guy on the Facebook page with his box full of books supposedly sent from the house. I keep coming back to that.

Are you saying you paid the cover artist for the cover that's currently on your book? Or you're paying one for a new cover? You'd have to do that anyway, because the cover actually would be his property.

I doubt any editor is going to take you at your word that you handed your work over to someone without a contract. If you can't get him to send a letter and no editor wants the book without it, self-publish it. As long as there's no contract, you're in no danger by doing that.

ETA: I'm really bothered by the pot reference, especially as it appears some of this situation might be fueled, on either side, by your breakup with someone involved with Chupa Cabra and a personal conflict with him and/or the guy running the house.

That info puts your post in a whole new light, especially since you didn't mention your relationship with that guy, who is apparently an editor there, and Timm. That lack of disclosure in this very accusatory post casts a lot of doubt and makes me seriously side-eye it a little bit. Especially since I can't even find a way to submit to the house, so it seems like it may be a group of friends and acquaintances more than anything.
    Last edited by shelleyo; 05-25-2014 at 08:03 AM.
    "Now, come on, as you guys get older you'll realize people don't mean to be obnoxious, it's just that they're all screwed up inside." -- Joel, MST3K, Gamera

Sockpuppet
    The books in that photo were purchased to be sold at a convention. None were paid for by the publisher and no authors have received the free copies guaranteed to them in their contracts. The cover I am paying for is for an anthology. Since I posted this he harassed me in Facebook and I have a screen shot of him telling me to take my f ing book - he doesn;t want it.

Quote Originally Posted by Montana Wildhack View Post
    The books in that photo were purchased to be sold at a convention. None were paid for by the publisher and no authors have received the free copies guaranteed to them in their contracts.
    The guy in the picture says "Chupa Cabra House has sent me copies." It doesn't sound like he purchased them, phrased that way.

The cover I am paying for is for an anthology. Since I posted this he harassed me in Facebook and I have a screen shot of him telling me to take my f ing book - he doesn;t want it.
    If it's the anthology that's the sequel to the one published in March you were talking about on FB, you have no obligation to pay for it now (if you ever did). If it's already paid for and you have no contract for reimbursement, there's not much you can do.

Him telling you to take the book won't do much good with a letter or something you can show publishers. If you find a publisher that will publish it without proof that it was released by the previous publisher, that's probably not a publisher you want to be involved with.
    "Now, come on, as you guys get older you'll realize people don't mean to be obnoxious, it's just that they're all screwed up inside." -- Joel, MST3K, Gamera

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly. SuperModerator Williebee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shelleyo View Post
    The guy in the picture says "Chupa Cabra House has sent me copies." It doesn't sound like he purchased them, phrased that way.
    Meh, I could read that either way. I know one of the authors in the TEMPORARY SKELETONS anthology. I'll ask him for his experience thus far.
    This morning the sun came up.
    Just like yesterday, and tomorrow.
    Face the day, not the darkness.

Montana Wildhack is a member who has been banned multiple times, returning under a new name.

Quote Originally Posted by AW Admin View Post
    Montana Wildhack is a member who has been banned multiple times, returning under a new name.
    I hope anyone reading this seriously considers that before buying into the original post. I hope anyone reading also considers that it didn't take me very long on Facebook to find enough info to think that this is a personal conflict more than anything.

What she's saying about not getting paid and such may be true, but I wouldn't believe it without corroboration.

Without even doing the FB research, I can see from several word cues that this may have been a personal disagreement. I hope both parties can reach an agreement in private.

Blog: Blue Night
    Art and jewelry online at iCraft

Quote Originally Posted by shelleyo View Post
    I hope anyone reading this seriously considers that before buying into the original post. I hope anyone reading also considers that it didn't take me very long on Facebook to find enough info to think that this is a personal conflict more than anything.

What she's saying about not getting paid and such may be true, but I wouldn't believe it without corroboration.
    Looks like the OP was also a former Chupa Cabra staff, and there was an unpleasant falling out. It's possible Tayshun and Johnson were as bad as claimed, but, just based on what I read, it also sounded like a lot of bad judgement calls.

The whole matter stresses my opinion that even if you're close, treat business interactions as business, because fallouts between friends, family and couples happen.
    Co-writer/creator of (On break while the artist works on other projects):

Writer & Artist of Brainfuzz (on hiatus): http://www.drunkduck.com/Brainfuzz/

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Last pub '14, FB page is gone, and Tw ceased in '14 also.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017: