FAQ: I can't draw and I want to find an artist

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bicyclefish

Pedaling Pescado
Registered
Reaction score
I don't personally know any artists. The second that is with my current financial situation I just don't have the money to hire an artist and that situation does not look like it will change any time soon. As a result, I am turning to those with more experence in this industry for advice. How does one in my situation find an artist to work with them?
Here's some useful threads you should read (Maybe we can have a sticky thread for FAQs like this):

Unfortunately, the odds are stacked against you as there's a lot more writers seeking cheap or free work than there are willing artists. The majority of people who can produce good sequential artwork will not accept back end pay with a unproven writer. I won't deny you can find cheap artists, but it'll take patience and likely a sacrifice to quality and/or dependability. Your best bet in my opinion is to get involved in the comic community, learning all you can about how things work and getting to know some artists. Years back in some anime and manga forums I used to frequent, members often collaborated for fun, although most projects fizzled out early on as people tended to get distracted or bored.

Will doing some kind of fundraising be inevedable or is there another way that won't demand me comming up with lots of money somehow? If you have any advice for me I would be grateful.

Crowdfunding done well isn't easy. It takes promotion, connections and a good reputation. Success doesn't end once you raise the money, for you must fulfill your promises/rewards too, and many a Kickstarter or Indiegogo has gone pear shaped because the person running things under estimated costs, especially taxes and shipping. It's my personal observation among my social circle there's a general weariness and wariness regarding comic crowdfunders thanks to blow ups like Sullivan's Sluggers, Gods of Men and Womanthology, and others. Even people who seemed to have it together ended in disappointment.

Though it wasn't part of your question, here are some threads on related topics you might find useful. First, scriptwriting comics:

Submitting:

Crowdfunding:

Status
Not open for further replies.