The Compleat 'Thorn Forest' (A Gift for AW)

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
If by some chance (highly unlikely, methinks) this would need to be moved to another area of AW, it would most assuredly be welcome in any of the forums which I mod.

Can't tell you how much I admire your work, William, without getting all teary-eyed and making you blush.

Gretad08

Registered
Reaction score
This is one of the most intriguing poems I've ever read. Please tell me there's more coming? I want to know what happens to Jacob. Tragic, and beautiful.

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
One of the most striking attributes of poetry, to me, is the use of ordinary words to extraordinary effect.

long-dead and looming

is a prime example. The economy enriches the image: saying more would mean less.

B.D. Eyeslie

Registered
Reaction score
Where the dirty water has all been cleaned--Boston
This is incredible work. Not only emotionally touching, but crisp, real, captivating, and suspenseful. And still that says nothing of the precision of the words, the crafting of them. The form and the function hand in hand is something i always associate with your poetry. This work showcases that beautifully. I am so pleased you are sharing it with us.

You are a real treasure, William; we are so lucky to have you here with us.

Thanks for this.

I agree 100%
Thank you William.

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'd very much like a physical copy of this when it's complete. *hinthint* A little chapbook, or something. I'd even pay cash money!

Brandt

give it to me straight
Registered
Reaction score
One of the most striking attributes of poetry, to me, is the use of ordinary words to extraordinary effect.

long-dead and looming

is a prime example. The economy enriches the image: saying more would mean less.

Totally agree Rob. And would add that this is what I find so masterful, compelling, and constant in William's work. His 'voice' is utterly captivating... and the story as well.

Thank you William for this. I don't know how you keep living up to the last segment, except that 'marvelous' is simply normal in your world. :)

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'd very much like a physical copy of this when it's complete. *hinthint* A little chapbook, or something. I'd even pay cash money!
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^This, William. I imagine that Cranky and I are not the only ones who would like a physical copy when it is completed.

Most excellent work.

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
Really fantastic. The story is unfolding at a nice pace. Your readers are invested in Jacob's story, and you are not disappointing us. This is excellent.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
pacing is definitely a concern with this approach. thank you for the kind words, and i really appreciate the reads.

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
I'm very worried for the futures of Jacob and Anna. I fear a tragic end. Poor souls. Don't tell me what happens next though. All in good time.

Gretad08

Registered
Reaction score
Part XII has a beautiful cadence. I really love that section. There's a tremendous amount of suspense that's building nicely there. For me anyway. Take my opinion with a grain of salt. I'm not a poet, nor do I know how to properly critique a poem.

Brandt

give it to me straight
Registered
Reaction score
Still spellbound William. I keep thinking, "I'm watching a masterpiece created before my very eyes."

Sarita

carpe noctem
Registered
Reaction score
William, these verses are sublime. I feel invested in Jacob's life and want to know more about where Anna came from. I believe I said it up thread, but this feels very much like a novel sized story that you've distilled into poetry. Perfectly succinct, each word molded to the story. Very characteristic of you, yet so very fresh. Even the breaks, conjunctions, and prepositions feel heavy with the weight of meaning.

Last edited:

Rufus Coppertop

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
This is the first modern poem that's ever grabbed or moved me with its craft as well as with its subject matter. The combination of blank verse (is that the correct term?) with rhyme gives it a structure that reminds me of music. It has pregnancy.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
i just want to say once again how much i appreciate, and am humbled by, the kind words and encouragement here.

thank you all for continuing to read.

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
These last two additions really propel the story. The urgency of that last one carries a lot of weight. Each word in that short poem does a job, and does so well. And I just knew the rhyme would be there -anticipated it - was not disappointed. Your delivery wins the day, right there.