The Compleat 'Thorn Forest' (A Gift for AW)

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
I've never been there when a climber reached a mountain's peak. Or when a painter finished a masterwork. But now I've seen a Poet do it. I recognize the hope and the wonder, the sheer exhilaration of the moment when I feel it. Reading the last two parts drove me to go back and read it complete, and some how see it all new, and get to feel it again. And it worked. I did.

This is lyric and moving, dark with subtlety, humbling in scale. Images that lead in such a way that I didn't know I was lead until I was looking back.

So, this is thank you, again. And, it is knowing that thanks is not enough for your sharing this with us. For letting me take the journey.

Thank you, Sir.

I do wish you would consider publishing this, or letting someone publish it. Somebody should arrange for us to throw money at you, or flowers or tribute or something.

Last edited:

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I do wish you would consider publishing this, or letting someone publish it. Somebody should arrange for us to throw money at you, or flowers or tribute or something.

I agree. Mr Haskins, if you don't want to take it through the submissions route would you consider producing a POD version of this work? I would love a print edition of it. I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A thousand times this ^.

Thank you so much for this gift, William. Thank you for allowing me to travel this road with you as you wrote it by your posting of the segments along the way. You have thanked me for my kind words in the past, but honestly there is no thanks needed from you as you have blessed me with your talent and skill and I am grateful for having the honor to read your work.

Thank you, William.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
This, in its thirty parts, put the right words on both the aching best of our inner lives and the aching worst. So many jewels. So much grime.

I started to go through it to pluck out the phrases and full stanzas that had lit me up the most, but not long into that exercise, I stopped. It felt obscene. Once it was done to the epilogue, it felt very wrong to lift anything away from its place in the poem. I don't know if I can convey how much of a compliment I mean by that. I hope you understand.

This is wonderful.

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't commented on the work in progress because, frankly, I rarely feel I could possibly contribute anything meaningful to work that is so far above my own skill level, and indeed, above any aspirations I might have. But it's been enormously instructive, fascinating, almost heart-breakingly beautiful watching it spin out its existence over the past year. Like others, I feel enormous gratitude just for the experience.

And like others, I very much hope you find a way of taking this into print.

And-and like others, I am ridiculously eager to see where you go next now that this is done. Ever a fan. :)

Magdalen

Petulantly Penitent
Registered
Reaction score
Absolutely Maaaarvelous dahlink! Thank you for sharing the fruits of your impassioned labors with us. I feel like I've been part of a sublime, totally rad, avant garde poetic experience. Love the completed version of this work with the print & graphic embellishments. You are so freaking cool!!!

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Thank you, Haskins.

You give me hope that there's still more poetry left to be written by humanity.

Sarita

carpe noctem
Registered
Reaction score
Print would be amazing. But I'd also love to have the entire audio with me when I'm hiking. You know, as long as you don't have anything else to do, but please my whimsy.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
i just want to thank you all for your tremendous support and kindness, both throughout the process of writing this and now looking back on it as a completed work.

it only validates all of the great things i have come to know about AW, and about the positive potential of online communities in general.

i apologize for being so slow in responding to PMs, but please know that i will as quickly as i'm able.

thanks again, everyone.

dobiwon

Planning to retire for the 5th time
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
magind7.wixsite.com
William,
I've been away from poetry and the Poetry Forum for a couple of years now, and today I thought I'd check back in and see what's new. This poem was the first thing I saw when I logged in, so I read the whole thing in its entirety.

It is wonderful. If anything could inspire me to start writing poetry again, this is it.

Thanks so much.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
i've missed you and wondered about you for many months. it's great to see you again and, in this context, humbling and meaningful.

please stick around and share your work and insights like before. you were always a big part of this community.

Smirkin

eating cookies late at night
Registered
Reaction score
I, too, read this for the first time today in its entirety. I had to catch my breath several times while reading. This is amazing, life-altering stuff you've written here, the kind of thing I know will stay with me forever. I can't even figure out how to end this message properly because my head is still spinning.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
apologies for the shameless bump, but i noticed quite a few views over the summer.

even accounting for google spiders, it looks like folks are still occasionally reading.

if that's you, i just wanted to say thanks.

jdkiggins

Troubled-Talks with animals.
Registered
Reaction score
The "Dead Zone" in PA. (The state.) All lit up and
Website
home.comcast.net
William, I have no shame in bumping this again.

Haggis told me to check it out. You are right, Haggis. I'm not disappointed.

I told Haggis from the moment I set eyes on your avatar and read your work you have never disappointed me.

Haskins, you still my heart!!! This was absolutely beautiful and heart-wrenching all at the same time. I knew if there was anyone who could light a flame under me and twist my head on straight to start writing again, it would be you. Thank you. :Hug2: