Recommend me some 'deeper' chick lit

The_Ink_Goddess

we're gonna make it out of the fire
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, all! So I'm looking for recommendations for my mum, for something she can take on vacation with us next month (so please, if a new release, something that has just been released or to be released in the very near future). She's currently loved all the Liane Moriarty books - particularly THE HYPNOTIST'S LOVE STORY and THE HUSBAND'S SECRET. She is generally a Jodi Picoult fan, but recently loooooved THE STORYTELLER. I don't think she'd like anything with too much thematic overlap though - it was more the tone: she wants something which is not toooo grim or depressing (she recently loved THE SILENT WIFE by A.S.A. Harrison but that might be a little dark for family vacation), but she gets bored very easily by Sophie Kinsella, which she just finds mindless fluff.

So, basically - chick lit/women's fiction with substance and hopefully a little humour, although not too complex in structure or detail, she doesn't have the best attention span (so maybe not too 'literary') so she can read it relatively easily while we're out in the sun? A potential trigger for her is suicide (either attempted or succeeded), so if this could be avoided, that would be great.

Sorry this is so long and nitpicky! Recommend away. :)

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
Have not read any of the books your mom likes (am determined to never read Jodi Picoult), and I seem to have a different definition of chick lit than you, but maybe:

The Language of Flowers - Vanessa Diffenbaugh
A Grown-up Kind of Pretty - Joshilyn Jackson (or something else by her)

ETA: or something by Maeve Binchy. But I figure there is a good chance she has already read Maeve Binchy...?

Last edited:

J.Emerson

Registered
Reaction score
Anything by Jennifer Crusie, she writes very intelligent, funny books with good romance elements. Bet Me and Welcome to Temptation are two of my faves. If she enjoys paranormal at all, the Aisling Grey series by Katie Macalister is also smart, laugh out loud funny, and steamy.

jerrimander

No one takes me seriously. Really.
Registered
Reaction score
I second the Jennifer crusie suggestion. But some of her works are a bit on the fluff side, like Sophie kinsella. Welcome to temptation And lie to me are some of crusie's "deeper" stories. Imo.

The_Ink_Goddess

we're gonna make it out of the fire
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, guys! Yes, she has read Maeve Binchy - she liked them when she read them, but she's kinda 'over' them now. :)

Last edited:

Wilde_at_heart

υπείκωphobe
Registered
Reaction score
It's a bit older, but Fay Weldon's Lives and Loves of a She-Devil is a good one.

briannasealock

Registered
Reaction score
Hey, all! So I'm looking for recommendations for my mum, for something she can take on vacation with us next month (so please, if a new release, something that has just been released or to be released in the very near future). She's currently loved all the Liane Moriarty books - particularly THE HYPNOTIST'S LOVE STORY and THE HUSBAND'S SECRET. She is generally a Jodi Picoult fan, but recently loooooved THE STORYTELLER. I don't think she'd like anything with too much thematic overlap though - it was more the tone: she wants something which is not toooo grim or depressing (she recently loved THE SILENT WIFE by A.S.A. Harrison but that might be a little dark for family vacation), but she gets bored very easily by Sophie Kinsella, which she just finds mindless fluff.

So, basically - chick lit/women's fiction with substance and hopefully a little humour, although not too complex in structure or detail, she doesn't have the best attention span (so maybe not too 'literary') so she can read it relatively easily while we're out in the sun? A potential trigger for her is suicide (either attempted or succeeded), so if this could be avoided, that would be great.

Sorry this is so long and nitpicky! Recommend away. :)

has she tried John Green? that's the most chick lit thing I can think of though I don't read him myself. METAPHOR all over the place. I'm stuck in a cave, someone get me out.