Re-Phrase

Crocodile

Registered
Reaction score
I'm trying to think of another way to say "Well, what are we waiting for?"
-- Let's do this thing, Let's get to it, Let's hit it, Vamanos amigos...
Any other less than generic ways to rally the troops?

e.istre91

Registered
Reaction score
Website
onemillionwordsorbust.blogspot.com
What is the context here? It'll be hard to give anything other than generic if we don't have a context.

If you want something unique, you could make it something natural to the characters in their situation. Maybe there is a particular ethos they follow or some motto they throw around that you could mold into a rallying.

Alternatively you could have them exchange knowing glances if nothing needs to be said. If there is a leader, perhaps he looks at them and gives them a telling nod. There may not need to be words exchanged.

Crocodile

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, yeah a catchy phrase is what I'm looking for. I can't give too much detail without giving the story away (and I'm kind of neurotic about that while in progress) but the main character is kind of in a fish-out-of-water situation and learning the parlance of his new world to help him fit in. The phrase is mentioned at the start of a scene by his new friends (like - "Come'on guys, let's go") in a jovial kind of mood, then as the situation darkens and stakes rise, the main character ends the scene with the same phrase, propelling them into the next scene. Let's roll, let's ride, time to dance… I don't know, and I feel weird asking others for such specific creative input. I just thought there might be a phrase that I'm overlooking that would fit perfectly. Thanks for helping.

gambit924

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I always liked, "Let's kick it!" Nobody uses it anymore, or I haven't heard it in a long time, but I still like it. LOL...

bluetrees4

Registered
Reaction score

"So, what's the worst that could happen?"

"We're out of beer. The kids are tucked in. And our wives are mad at all of us."

"Maybe we could build a fire, sing a couple of songs, huh? Why don't we try that?" - Alien.

In truth, Beckett's "Waiting for Godot" contains a variant of your phrasing (one could argue that the entirety of the play could be your phrase), so you could check that out.

nmstevens

What happened?
Registered
Reaction score

You're looking for something bad-ass, and the secret to bad-ass kinds of remarks is understatement -- it's the verbal equivalent of walking away from an explosion.

So the scene starts off with someone coming in with some cases of beer, then at the end somebody finishes off a beer, looks around, "We're all out." That's it. They go.

Or, "Last one out, get the lights."

Or, "Right, let's go to work."

Not knowing anything about the specifics, I assume that that's the tone you're looking for.

NMS