Classic read for 2014

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Many years ago I made a vow to read at least one thing every calendar year considered a major classic in literature. Some I've enjoyed greatly, a couple I've hated, but persevered through. This year's choice is Dead Souls, by Nikolai Gogol. I'm about 1/3 of the way through it (it isn't very long) and enjoying it a respectable amount. I haven't read a lot of classic Russiany fiction (Anna Karenina, read for a class many years ago, some Chekhov stories, Zamiatin's magnificent dystopia We, a couple of other things), but I'm tempted to give more of it a go. Notably something by Turgenev, Pushkin, Lermontov. We'll see.

caw

Last edited:

Lillith1991

The Hobbit-Vulcan hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
eclecticlittledork.wordpress.com
I reread Pride & Prejudice a couple times a year. It's almost time for my first reread of the year actually, I always manage to enjoy it. Been doing the same thing for around 6 or 7 years.

DragonHeart

Oerba Yun Fang
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thefinalfantasy.com
I've started doing the same thing, only in the fantasy genre. Last year was The Hobbit, which I had somehow missed being assigned to read in school like almost everyone else. Wasn't a huge fan but then, I've never been able to read LotR either. The writing just puts me straight to sleep every time. =/

Haven't decided which one to read this year yet.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
I've been making an effort to catch up on some classics, too. (The fact that I own a Kindle and a Nook, and many of them are free downloads, hasn't hurt. ;) ) I'm still spooked by anything that looks too thick and literary, but I'm picking my way through others.

The last one I read was The Virginian, by Owen Wister. Maybe not a classic on the Moby Dick scale, but I mostly enjoyed it. I have more in queue - a couple Dickens titles, Darwin's book, and The Three Musketeers - though I have Other Things that need my attention right now.

Wilde_at_heart

υπείκωphobe
Registered
Reaction score
Many years ago I made a vow to read at least one thing every calendar year considered a major classic in literature. Some I've enjoyed greatly, a couple I've hated, but persevered through. This year's choice is Dead Souls, by Nikolai Gogol. I'm about 1/3 of the way through it (it isn't very long) and enjoying it a respectable amount. I haven't read a lot of classic Russiany fiction (Anna Karenina, read for a class many years ago, some Chekhov stories, Zamiatin's magnificent dystopia We, a couple of other things), but I'm tempted to give more of it a go. Notably something by Turgenev, Pushkin, Lermontov. We'll see.

caw

I try to get everyone I know to read that one - especially anyone who claims to like dystopias.