How to find an artist

Status
Not open for further replies.

mischa

Registered
Reaction score
A friend and I are working on a birthday-party planning book, which will definitely need illustrations. We have a specific style of drawings in mind, so should we seek our own illustrator to do some art that will be submitted with the ms? Or should we wait for a publisher to work that out for us?
Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.
Also, do we really need an agent for getting published? What's the best way to find a reputable one?
Thanks for helping out a newbie!

Lauri B

I Heart Mac
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Don't do the illustrations--get the manuscript complete, send it out to appropriate publishers who accept unsolicited submissions (look at books like yours and find out who published them, then check their submissions guidelines to see if they take unsolicited anything), and then see what happens. A publisher would be happy to listen to your ideas for illustrations, but they usually have designers in house who will have strong opinions about how the book will look.

You may or may not need an agent to get published, but nonfiction is much easier to get accepted without an agent than any other genre. Good luck!

mischa

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for your insight Nomad! I look forward to learning so much more from this absolutely fantastic website! I am so glad I stumbled across it.

Status
Not open for further replies.