The Flash (CW) - Possible Spoilers

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
Arrow (S2, Ep8) had a backdoor pilot for Barry Allen becoming the Flash. Here's an awesome 5-minute trailer.

http://www.newsarama.com/21131-new-the-flash-5-min-extended-trailer.html

I love Arrow, so I'm really looking forward to this. DC has done well on the small screen.

NOTE: Please use invisible text for spoilers. (e.g. font-color=white. It's not perfect, but it will help keep spoilery stuff out.)

Last edited:

Violeta

All I Ever Wanted Was The World
Registered
Reaction score
I try not to see the trailers so I don't get any ideas and go into the series with expectations, but a five minute trailer? Wow. That's gotta be like the whole pilot and a few minutes of the second ep. right there! Three minute trailers already tell everything there is to know about a show or a movie... imagine a 5min. one! LOL

Anyways, I loved Barry on Arrow, so I hope the new show's worth something.

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
They told a bit in the trailer, but it looked super solid to me. As good as Arrow. The first minute was spent pretty much recapping (with clips) his brief origin. The same clips we saw at the end of that particular Arrow episode.

Then it goes into what I imagine will be the first episode or two. It tells a lot, but it also leads me to believe that they probably have another hit going on here. I hope anyway.

I know very very little about Flash mythology and I'm pretty sold.

Violeta

All I Ever Wanted Was The World
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I was sold too when we saw him on Arrow. Thing is, his new show won't be like what we saw on those eps, because, for starters, Barry won't be interacting with TeamArrow. He will be with his own group of people, so who knows if I'll even like them or their interactions? LOL I'm hoping for the best, but it's gonna be hard to top TeamArrow+Barry.

Gaaaaaaaaah now I want TeamArrow+Barry!! I'd love to have an entire show about Oliver &
Barry being at each other just like they were when he asked him if he was sweating excessively xDD

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnetowntoday.blogspot.com
Arrow has been a bit of a guilty pleasure for me, so I expect I'll be watching. I've never thought the Flash has been done justice on the screen (although I recommend the animated Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox).

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
As good as it looks with the CGI and the fact that the leads of both sexes are pretty much eye candy, I think that this series won't--ahem--run very long. It'll--shit, I'm gonna do it again--run into the same problem as the original Flash series did...overreliance on special effects and underdeveloped scripts. I liked the old John Wesley Shipp vehicle as it had a little romance, humor, and a lot of action, but it fell prey to formula, as many of series do and not just the action genre types.

Now, if the producers manage to bring in other DC characters/villains (i.e. just when they were starting out) it may work. But The Flash, to me, has always been a supporting kind of character and NOT a lead player. Superman--yes, Batman--I could see the series Gotham working--and maybe a couple of others, but Barry Allen/Flash...I'd like to be wrong, but don't think I am.

Hendo

Custom User Title
Registered
Reaction score
I just watched the first episode and thought it was great. They'll have to be careful with the metas so it doesn't become Smallville but other than that, thumbs up. The final scene though... if you know anything about Flash lore... AHHH! :D

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
Hay HAY HAY... who watched it? What do you think?

I watched the heck out of it. Solid start. I definitely appreciated the pacing. I imagine many of us will be coming into this show through Arrow's back-door pilot, but holllyyyyy cow! Zooooom!

SPOILER STUFFS BELOW....
<<<I can't tell you how pleased I was that we didn't have to wait an ENTIRE SEASON for Barry to make a friend. For Barry to tell someone who he was. For Barry to be broody McBrooder around Central City whispering to himself that he can't tell anyone his secret. For "their" safety of course.

Arrow covered this ground.

So did Smallville.

And quite frankly, I'm "over" the drawn-out, "OMGZ WE CANNOT TELL ANYONE WHO I AM!" stuff. When the police officer (aka surrogate dad) saw Barry unwind that tornado, I was like, "OH EFF YEAH." No dancing around this bullshit.

FOR ENTIRE SEASONS.

Now we're getting right to the good stuff. Who is this wheelchair dude? YEAH. That's a cool mystery. How about other meta-humans? BooYA! Let's go there. >>>>

I'm so on board. Loved it. I even loved his awesome hair.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
I really really enjoyed it and I don't usually love the superhero TV shows (love the movies, but not so into the TV shows for some reason). And I agree with all the stuff in white you wrote. I also thought Barry was seriously charming, that the entire cast was. And I can't wait to see what they are going to do with Tom Cavanagh's character. I love that guy! :)

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
I liked Tom Cavanagh as well. What was funny?

Spoiler <<< Like 5 minutes after my 7-year-old daughter saw him, she asked me, "is he the bad guy?" and I told her, "Nawww! He's like Professor X!" And whoah! That ending was like... WUUUT? I think she called it. <<<<<

heza

Registered
Reaction score
I liked Tom Cavanagh as well. What was funny?

Ah, see, I said the same thing as your daughter. But at the end, my husband pointed out that >>> We don't actually know he's villainous. Only that he somehow has a magic time newspaper thing. Wasn't that a show, once, where someone got a newspaper from tomorrow and had to prevent something?... Anyway, I liked the character, I liked that I both liked and suspected him, and I like that I don't actually know what he is now.<<<

Last edited:

Sam Argent

Rygel XVI
Registered
Reaction score
Heza, that show was early edition.

I'm hooked on the Flash and oh please showmakers don't screw this up. Everything else is so dark and gloomy and I just want one brood-free superhero show.

Toothpaste

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Crasters - Ha! That's at least less embarrassing than me watching GOT and the Red Wedding and saying, out loud, after people speculated something bad was going to happen, "Oh no I think it's going to be fine." Head meet desk.

But it's true, we don't know really what he's up to. But he is lying about a lot of stuff, so I don't trust him yet . . . which I enjoy.

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
Heza, that show was early edition.

I'm hooked on the Flash and oh please showmakers don't screw this up. Everything else is so dark and gloomy and I just want one brood-free superhero show.

Yeah, there's only so much of the, "I don't deserve happiness" man-pain that I can stomach.

Ohhhh, Toothpaste. (hugs)...

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
I really liked it, but the villain thinking he's a god thing came off as a really cheap attempt to capture the moments from The Avengers movie. It didn't work well here.

I'm also kind of surprised they didn't do the obligatory scene of Barry chowing down on everything in sight because his metabolism's off the charts and he has to eat constantly.

As to the "thing at the end," either it's a quantum computer, the rift opened by the experiment left a window to the future (they broke the light barrier, rather than simply the sound barrier, or some other hand-wavable event), or he moved so fast that he went into the future (came back from the past - whatever) and knows what's coming. It doesn't necessarily make him evil, but it does make me wonder if the walking version is a future iteration who replaced the one confined to the chair or something.

Last edited:

Toothpaste

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Except before the accident he could walk so why would the future walking version not slip in while he was I guess recovering and just keep walking like he always did?

I'm sure all will be revealed in time, he might not be a bad guy, but I am curious why he's lying. Curious in a good way.

Crasters - sigh, thanks.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking forward to seeing this when I get home. The Flash has the best Rogue's Gallery in comics (yep, even better than Batman's): Gorilla Grod, Weather Wizard, Mirror Master, Captain Cold, Killer Frost, Trickster, Professor Zoom (who, apparently: killed Barry's mother, so Barry would end up becoming the hero...so Zoom could exist in the future...woot!)

Bloo

Roofied by Rylan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emergencyroomproductions.net
I think there is a clue in Tom Cavanagh's character's name. His name is Harrison Wells...H. Wells...as in HG Wells, who wrote The Time Machine and about Mad Scientests LOL okay I'm not talking to my geek illiterate brother (who loved it).

Theories: Wells is...Booster Gold, Rip Hunter, Reverse Flash, or Zoom (Wally West version, who was also in a wheelchair)

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
I watched Ep1 last night at my husband's insistence.

I don't watch Arrow, so this is my first introduction, and I was underwhelmed. Flash wasn't witty or funny, and the whole thing felt a little disjointed, almost like I was watching an hour long trailer instead of an actually put-together, complete episode.

I might watch if my husband has it on, but I can't see myself seeking this one out, which is sad, because Flash is my second-favorite DC hero.

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
He was far more witty in the Arrow episodes that led to the backdoor pilot. This one seemed to need to cover a great deal of ground to get things rolling--which I liked.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
With that headline "Flash Vanishes...," they may be setting up a 13 Monkeys scenario here, where the man young Barry saw running around his mother was his own, older self. He started running in the middle of an emergency, broke the time barrier, and couldn't stop moving.

That wouldn't explain the rising water in the fish tank, or the rising liquid from the chemical containers, but I'm not sure they have a reason for either of those past the "it looked cool" factor.

AshleyEpidemic

Did you see my bag?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.soipondered.wordpress.com
I've been prescribing to the Harrison Wells is actually Booster Gold theory since the pilot leaked. Now that the episode is out for all to see, I didn't feel bad about writing a blog post about my theory that is actually coming to be a common thought. I'm actually fairly certain it's correct and will be more shocked if it's not. Especially since the producers have already said that this characters inclusion stands a good chance. Check out my blog post if you'd like, I go into more detail.

Now that I'm done with my white text I just have to say that I really enjoyed The Flash's pilot. I know some people thought that Cisco Ramon came off a bit annoying, but I quite like him. I'm also really looking forward to how they treat Caitlin Snow's character. I'd love if she doesn't go all out villain, but gets a completely new characterization. Hopefully a bit more neutral neutral.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
With that headline "Flash Vanishes...," they may be setting up a 13 Monkeys scenario here, where the man young Barry saw running around his mother was his own, older self. He started running in the middle of an emergency, broke the time barrier, and couldn't stop moving.

That wouldn't explain the rising water in the fish tank, or the rising liquid from the chemical containers, but I'm not sure they have a reason for either of those past the "it looked cool" factor.

If you noticed the yellow in the costume of the lightning around the mom...it indicates a far more likely possibility that the speedster in question was...Professor Zoom
the speedster from the future...which could likely be Wells