AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: HenschelHAUS Publishing

HenschelHAUS Publishing

I saw a reprint of an article in the San Jose Mercury News this morning showcasing this pub, HenschelHAUS, as a "one-woman" house. Been around for 12+ years. Any author experience?

Write. Write. Writey Write Write. mrsmig's Avatar
    Looks like a vanity press. Lots of self-help, memoirs and poetry. Covers are fair to awful.

Has an Initial Manuscript Needs Assessment retainer (whatever that is) of $360. Other info includes this (bolding mine):

For your book or manuscript considered for publication by HenschelHAUS, you must meet the following criteria:

1. Have a website, or at a bare minimum, email. Tech-savvy and experience with FaceBook, LinkedIn, and other social media, are a plus. (We recommend www.EMGraphics.net for author website creation).
    2. Participate in a live or on-line Publishing 101 class (NOTE: which seem to run about $450)
    3. Be willing and able (physically, financially, and emotionally) to participate in getting the word about your book out to the market. HenschelHAUS is happy to work with you to develop a marketing plan.
    4. Submit a completed Author Marketing Questionnaire
    Last edited by mrsmig; 05-15-2014 at 09:45 PM.
    KINGLET: Now available from Fiery Seas Publishing: Amazon Barnes & Noble iBooks Kobo
    FISKUR: Now available from Fiery Seas Publishing: Amazon Barnes & Noble iBooks Kobo
    STONEKING: Releasing February 20, 2018 from Fiery Seas Publishing

My Website:
    www.donnamigliaccio.com

And the occasional Tweet.

Yeah, looks like vanity publishing to me.

ETA: I was all set to track down the Milwaukee reporter and give him a gentle jeer for focusing on a vanity publisher who calls herself a 'self-publisher'. Then I stopped. I don't want to get into this nonsense again, and reporters never, *ever* bother to check their sources when it comes to publishing.
    Last edited by Filigree; 05-15-2014 at 11:34 PM.

This M/M space opera
    Blog: Blue Night
    Art and jewelry online at Etsy.

Don't worry. I "Red Flagged" this on my hometown paper as a vanity publisher. I think it's quite foolhardy for the San Jose Mercury News to pick up this article from the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, and publish it in the business section without vetting it, given the high-tech atmosphere of Silicon Valley. It reflects very poorly on the Merc, while legitimizing HenschelHAUS.

Thanks. I've given up, with the local papers.

This M/M space opera
    Blog: Blue Night
    Art and jewelry online at Etsy.

Just the facts, please
    Unless you saw the article in print in the Merc News, my guess is the J-S article was picked up for the Merc's website through an automated content sharing/exchange system - so there was probably no editor involved in that decision. The wire services typically have automatic feeds to their clients' websites. There would have been no reason for a California paper to select what is essentially a dressed-up business feature profile of a local Milwaukee operation.

That makes sense. The article didn't hide the fact that HenschelHAUS is a self-publishing/vanity press venture.