• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

ZeroCostPromotions.com (Warren Whitlock)

TheWriteStuff

Hello Everyone,

Has anyone worked with Warren Whitlock or know anyone who has? He calls himself "a book marketing expert." I specifically would like to know what he charges and can he deliver on all those promises and testimonials?

His sites repeatedly say he is a # 1 best selling author as well, but I couldn't find any books listed under his name. He mentions he is a co-author of "Wake Up.. Live the Life You Love" which is like the Chicken Soup books in that each book has 20 or 25 contributors so maybe one of those Wake Up books reached # 1 on some list at some point.

Here are links I've found:

http://warrenwhitlock.com
http://zerocostpromotions.com
http://www.dailywarren.com/
http://www.amazon.com/gp/pdp/profile/A2DQ6EII8R2ZMD/103-2556416-7544619

Thanks for your input, everybody.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
"...which is like the Chicken Soup books in that each book has 20 or 25 contributors..." and, as I understand it, is essentially work-for-hire so contributors get their fee for the story and nothing else while the publishers rake in the millions. For the optimist, that gives the publishers funds to print books they love but won't sell as well. For the pessimist, it's a bleeping poor deal for the writer.

'scuse me, I think I grabbed the cynicism rather than the cinnamon this morning.
4.gif

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
From Mr. Whitlock's website:
Over the past decade, Warren has taught thousands of small businesses, authors and individuals how to use proven direct marketing principles to promote product or service...
I'd be concerned, since "direct marketing" is not a great method for most books. I imagine it could work for niche nonfiction, where the author can compile a mailing list of people she knows have an interest in her subject, but for general fiction and nonfiction, direct marketing methods are among the least effective.

He also has a blog that supposedly analyzes the marketing success of the sixth Harry Potter book. Uh..."giveaways may help increase sales" and "I recommend that authors have a fan club" don't really make it for me as marketing analysis.

Methinks that what Mr. Whitlock is really selling is himself.

- Victoria

HapiSofi

Hagiographically Advantaged
Registered
Reaction score
It's not Mr. Whitlock's lucky day. Making Light took an interest in his case.

HapiSofi

Hagiographically Advantaged
Registered
Reaction score
MartyKay, I don't know how you are at reading source code, but Making Light has used no-follow links for all its references to Whitlock's site. He'll get no Googlejuice from them.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Should I be concerned I grok "Googlejuice" but not "no-follow link"?
lam.gif

Hopefully, he'll find AW first.
budo.gif

MartyKay

Sockpuppet Hunter
Registered
Reaction score
Website
martykay.blogspot.com
Thank you very much James, and Hapi too for mentioning it.

The guy is just another of the parasites on Blogspot who devalues not only that site but also blogging in general...

Aconite

Registered
Reaction score
James D. Macdonald said:
Warren Whitlock (who is, as we know, perfectly useless) may well have his perfection listed higher and higher on Google until The Perfect Uselessness of Warren Whitlock is indeed the Number One Link for Warren Whitlock.

Perfection is so rare in this world!
And so worth striving for. Do let us all encourage Warren Whitlock in his rise, because we should all help one another, even the perfectly useless Warren Whitlock, whose story is told in The Perfect Uselessness of Warren Whitlock.