AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: ZeroCostPromotions.com (Warren Whitlock)

TheWriteStuff

ZeroCostPromotions.com (Warren Whitlock)

Hello Everyone,

Has anyone worked with Warren Whitlock or know anyone who has? He calls himself "a book marketing expert." I specifically would like to know what he charges and can he deliver on all those promises and testimonials?

His sites repeatedly say he is a # 1 best selling author as well, but I couldn't find any books listed under his name. He mentions he is a co-author of "Wake Up.. Live the Life You Love" which is like the Chicken Soup books in that each book has 20 or 25 contributors so maybe one of those Wake Up books reached # 1 on some list at some point.

Here are links I've found:

http://warrenwhitlock.com
    http://zerocostpromotions.com
    http://www.dailywarren.com/
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/pdp/profile...556416-7544619

Thanks for your input, everybody.

Your Genial Uncle Absolute Sage James D. Macdonald's Avatar
    Don't forget http://marketingresultscoach.com/

I don't like the smell of this one. I don't like the look of his websites. They have that Make-Money-Fast MLM Template look to them.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    "...which is like the Chicken Soup books in that each book has 20 or 25 contributors..." and, as I understand it, is essentially work-for-hire so contributors get their fee for the story and nothing else while the publishers rake in the millions. For the optimist, that gives the publishers funds to print books they love but won't sell as well. For the pessimist, it's a bleeping poor deal for the writer.

'scuse me, I think I grabbed the cynicism rather than the cinnamon this morning.
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Writer Beware Goddess Absolute Sage victoriastrauss's Avatar
    From Mr. Whitlock's website:
    Over the past decade, Warren has taught thousands of small businesses, authors and individuals how to use proven direct marketing principles to promote product or service...
    I'd be concerned, since "direct marketing" is not a great method for most books. I imagine it could work for niche nonfiction, where the author can compile a mailing list of people she knows have an interest in her subject, but for general fiction and nonfiction, direct marketing methods are among the least effective.

He also has a blog that supposedly analyzes the marketing success of the sixth Harry Potter book. Uh..."giveaways may help increase sales" and "I recommend that authors have a fan club" don't really make it for me as marketing analysis.

Methinks that what Mr. Whitlock is really selling is himself.

- Victoria

Hagiographically Advantaged AW Moderator HapiSofi's Avatar
    It's not Mr. Whitlock's lucky day. Making Light took an interest in his case.
    Winner of the Best Drycleaner on the Block Award.

*knell of doom*

ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

Writer Beware Goddess Absolute Sage victoriastrauss's Avatar
    Heh heh. Do you think he'll notice?

- Victoria

If he did he'd add it to the pile of spam blogs (aka "splogs") that he has created.

:angry:
    Be Wery Wery Qwiet, I'm Hunting Sockpuppets
    You must be as smart as this stick -> |
    to use the internet |

MartyKay, I don't know how you are at reading source code, but Making Light has used no-follow links for all its references to Whitlock's site. He'll get no Googlejuice from them.

Should I be concerned I grok "Googlejuice" but not "no-follow link"?

Hopefully, he'll find AW first.
    ICAO
    ---------

Thank you very much James, and Hapi too for mentioning it.

The guy is just another of the parasites on Blogspot who devalues not only that site but also blogging in general...
    Be Wery Wery Qwiet, I'm Hunting Sockpuppets
    You must be as smart as this stick -> |
    to use the internet |

Quote Originally Posted by James D. Macdonald
    This should explain no-follow links:

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2005/...ment-spam.html
    Ah! Thanks.

I'm most amused that the "this hurts bloggers!" comment below the article is essentially comment spam.
    ICAO
    ---------

Y'all'll be happy to know that The Perfect Uselessness of Warren Whitlock is the first link on page 2 when you google on Warren Whitlock.

It surpasses many of Warren's links to himself.

I'm glad that The Perfect Uselessness of Warren Whitlock is on the second page of Google results, but I'd rather that The Perfect Uselessness of Warren Whitlock were on the first page.

How about you, Jim? Do you think The Perfect Uselessness of Warren Whitlock has any chance of rising in the Google ratings?

Warren Whitlock (who is, as we know, perfectly useless) may well have his perfection listed higher and higher on Google until The Perfect Uselessness of Warren Whitlock is indeed the Number One Link for Warren Whitlock.

Perfection is so rare in this world!

Gone
    Quote Originally Posted by James D. Macdonald
    Warren Whitlock (who is, as we know, perfectly useless) may well have his perfection listed higher and higher on Google until The Perfect Uselessness of Warren Whitlock is indeed the Number One Link for Warren Whitlock.

Perfection is so rare in this world!
    And so worth striving for. Do let us all encourage Warren Whitlock in his rise, because we should all help one another, even the perfectly useless Warren Whitlock, whose story is told in The Perfect Uselessness of Warren Whitlock.
    Winner of Uncle Jim's Whoo Hoo Super Writer Award and Nomad's Most Use of Vowels in a Screen Name Award as well as Maryn's Only Person on AW Whose Name Anagrams to "I, Octane," "Act I (One)" and "Nice tao" Award in addition to batgirl's Culpeper Award for Botanically Erudite Screen Name plus awatkins' AW's Most Creative Srounger [sic] of Rep Points Award not to mention azbikergirl's Arizona Most Awarded Writer Award and also Dawno's Most Interesting Signature Line Award

Oddly enough, while "Warren Whitlock" (in quotes) leads to The Perfect Uselessness of Warren Whitlock on Google's second page, Warren Whitlock (no quotes) gives us The Perfect Uselessness of Warren Whitlock on Google's first page. How strange is that?

practical experience, FTW Tilly's Avatar
    Alas, the tale of Warren Whitlock as told in 'The Perfect Uselessness of Warren Whitlock' only appears on the second page of a Yahoo search, whether I type Warren Whitlock or "Warren Whitlock". But on altavista, 'The Perfect Uselessness of Warren Whitlock' appears on the first page whichever search I try.

still crazy after all these years Good Word's Avatar
    Then you've all got to click here instead.

http://nielsenhayden.com/makinglight...es/007326.html

It's new and different. And if you do it three times in a row, and you click just so, and forward it to three folks you know, you will begin receiving tax-free money from that best-selling pro!

Yeah!