Publishing Party

Mikilao

Registered
Reaction score
I was curious about after you get published how do you feel? Is publishing a little less exciting now a days? More importantly should you throw a party? Or just pat yourself on the back and get back to work?

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I always feel pleased, especially when I receive my publication cheque.

I don't throw myself a party, although my publishers sometimes do. I don't always attend those parties, as my books are all ghost-written and so the books' official authors are the ones who are needed, not me. I just get on with writing the next one and the next.

Becky Black

Writing my way off the B Ark
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beckyblack.wordpress.com
No party - though I did crack open champagne when I sold my first one and then when it came out. :D But if you want a party, have one.

After several more sales I don't bother with the champagne. Yes, I feel great when I get an acceptance. And release day is fun too too - but also lots of work! But those feelings are transitory. Life is still going to go on pretty much the same and you've got to get back to work, so enjoy it while it lasts, then get back to work!

All the firsts are fun too. First royalty cheque, first time you see your book on Amazon or in a shop or whatever, first review (which is also terrifying of course. ;)) Enjoy them when they come.

Last edited:

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
More importantly should you throw a party? Or just pat yourself on the back and get back to work?
Are you earning a living at writing? If so, get back to work. If not, have a party. Personally, the Oscar party celebrating the best screenplay win is good enough... :)

Jeff